What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wednesday, November 7 | 7pm

FAUST with live score by THE WILLEM BREUKER KOLLEKTIEF

(dir. FW Murnau, Germany, 1926, 115 mins, b/w, silent w/English intertitles)

with Frans Vermeerssen - saxophones / clarinet; Hermine Deurloo - saxophone,

harmonica; Maarten van Norden - saxophones; George Pancras - trumpet; Andy

Altenfelder - trumpet; Andy Bruce - trombone; Bernard Hunnekink - trombone,

tuba; Arjen Gorter - bass; Henk de Jonge - piano; and Rob Verdurmen -

percussion

:excited:

Dang. I just saw this....

In the Faust score composed by Willem Breuker, the soprano saxophone part is being played by Frans Vermeerssen. On doctor's orders, Willem Breuker will not be part of the Kollektief ensemble at tonight's performance.

I hope Willem is OK.

Going to see sunday Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings :excited:

You will have to give a rundown of the show because I am seeing them on the 16th!

In one word impressive. Probably the best show outside the jazz idiom that i attended this year.

I'll tell you more later.

First of all the first act was a very fine band called the Budos http://www.popmatters.com/music/reviews/b/...nd-st2005.shtml

Quite frankly i already had my money's worth with this band.

Now regarding the main act. Well, they started with the soul routine with the DapKings playing instrumentals and then a MC comes singing a few songs and then introduces the singer. Once she enters the scene you get yourself into a zone of non-stop grooving, funk action with a lady who is way way way way in a better physical shape than i am.

The first songs however did use some gimmickery that i could live without, first song she invited a male spectator to dance with her, second song she sang about girl's attitude and invited some girls who attended the show to strut their stuff on stage. One of the girls was so drunk she went on the stage with two bottles of beer and her bag, Jones had to tell her to drop her bottles then her bag, the lady quickly went away. The third song she asked people to do the chorus.

Fortunately after that things stepped up a notch, music was tighter, more intense and to watch Jones constantly dancing in a frenetic way and singing at the top of her lungs at the same time was a mighty impressive scene. I'm not familiar with her materiel so i won't do a song by song report.

She, as an encore, granted us a beautiful rendition of It's a man's man's man's world

Edited by Van Basten II

Saw this tonight.

Frode Haltli Quartet

with

Frode Haltli, accordion

Darryl Harper, clarinet

Nils Oekland, viola/Hardanger fiddle

Maja Solveig Kjelstrup Ratkje, voice

Free show. Maja Ratke has an amazing voice!! I only knew her from what I had read about in her in these forums and the Wire cover article from earlier this year. In between songs she dashed outside to check on her baby, who must have been all of 3 months old - if that. Frode Haltli was great too. He was able to coax some very unusual sounds from his instrument. Pretty mellow stuff which was not what I was expecting but definitely welcomed.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

Going to see Abdullah Ibrahim solo tomorrow night!

That will be a very spiritual experience, for sure! Saw him two or three years ago, solo, and it was a great concert.

Here:

Peter Brötzmann "Full Blast Trio" on Thursday night at the CMU San Juan Evangelista.... that will be a much less spiritual experience.... again for sure! My one and only doubt is if he will be able to get a curved saxophone straight... simply blowing it!

:D

Going to see sunday Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings :excited:

You will have to give a rundown of the show because I am seeing them on the 16th!

In one word impressive. Probably the best show outside the jazz idiom that i attended this year.

I'll tell you more later.

First of all the first act was a very fine band called the Budos http://www.popmatters.com/music/reviews/b/...nd-st2005.shtml

Quite frankly i already had my money's worth with this band.

Were they listed as being on the bill before the show? The First Avenue site doesn't have any opening

acts listed for the Friday show. For about a month I have been hoping Budos band would open, since they are on the same label and include many of the same members.

That will be a very spiritual experience, for sure! Saw him two or three years ago, solo, and it was a great concert

I've already seen him three times, first in solo (early/mid 90s), then in duo with Max Roach (around 2000, I think), and last with his trio (early 00s). The solo concert was by far the best, so I hope it will be good once more!

Here:

Peter Brötzmann "Full Blast Trio" on Thursday night at the CMU San Juan Evangelista.... that will be a much less spiritual experience.... again for sure! My one and only doubt is if he will be able to get a curved saxophone straight... simply blowing it!

:D

I'll try and see Brötzmann (with Pliakas/Wertmüller) here in late November! Never saw him live, looking forward to doing so a lot, even more so with this particular trio!

Two weeks ago I went to see Brad Mehldau (w/ Grenadier and Ballard) here in Stockholm. Haven't followed his albums from the last couple of years (have got a few "Art of the Trio"'s) so I was not sure what to expect. Initially I was underwhelmed - I thought his solos took too long to develop, and there were some tendencies to go for effect. But then there were a couple of astonishingly beautiful passages, and some technically unbelievable two-handed (though not octave) playing. I guess he has his style down, and that will be enough for many. Not sure I'll need another album of his, but I'm not sure I won't go and see him the next time he's in town.

On the first tunes I had the feeling Jeff Ballard didn't quite fit with the group, but it got less noticeable as the show went on.

Just got back from fantastic performance by the Lithuanian National Phil. The programme was Nielsen Symphony No.1, Rachmaninov Piano Conc No.1 and the Brahms 3.

Freddie Kempf was the soloist for the Rach.

Now I'll just have to get a copy of that Nielsen!

Edited by tonym

That will be a very spiritual experience, for sure! Saw him two or three years ago, solo, and it was a great concert.

Hired him once for a festival gig. National broadcast, 10,000 fans waiting and the band stands for about 5 minutes in the wings. We nudge a band member and say "you have to go on". The guy says "the master is waiting for the planets to be in the correct spaces". An associate says, "Tell him the check won't clear unless he hits the stage now"! He was at the piano in 30 seconds. :ph34r:

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Hired him once for a festival gig. National broadcast, 10,000 fans waiting and the band stands for about 5 minutes in the wings. We nudge a band member and say "you have to go on". The guy says "the master is waiting for the planets to be in the correct spaces". An associate says, "Tell him the check won't clear unless he hits the stage now"! He was at the piano in 30 seconds. :ph34r:

Now that's a strong conviction!

:lol: