What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Wow, nice lineup!

Do you know what kind of group Slide is performing with?

Here's some info

December, 17 2007 at Slide Hampton at the Indiana Historical Center

Martin Luther King and New York Streets, Indianapolis,

Cost : $10

A special tribute concert for Slide Hampton’s sister, Aletra Hampton who recently passed away. The hours are 7-10. Admission $10. Proceeds go towards her service expenses. The group is Slide Hampton on trombone, Steve Allee on piano, Frank Smith on bass, Kenny Phelps on drums, Rob Dixon on tenor sax, and Pharez Whitted on trumpet. There will be other performers paying tribute as well.

Not sure if I can get home from work in time for this but I'm going to try.

Edited by rachel

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wish I could go see the big O tonight, but family needs come first!

Caught them last night in GR... well worth the trip. Some heavy snow on the way back.

Live music FOUR times this week for me! I also saw the "Truth in Jazz" orchestra on Tuesday night -- a truly wonderful big band that plays locally. Will be going to a big high school Christmas production on Saturday, my daughter is in the choir, son in orchestra.

It's been a good week!

Ann and I saw Organissimo with Skid last night. 'Cause of the 9:30 starting time (and impending snow storm), we had to leave early in the second set. The band sounded great (in spite of new space/acoustics) possibly as a result of not rehearsing lately. :ph34r:

We got home about 1 am. Ann was exhausted (had to be at work at 7:30) and I was really frazzled after driving through "lake effect" snow.

Great time to hear the band.

Tonight I saw Bennie Wallace at the Jazz Standard. It's always great to see Bennie playing in clubs. He needs to do it more often! He was with his Coleman Hawkins tribute group. Adam Rafferty was great on guitar. Great night overall, and Tiki Barber was in the audience. Heard he's a Dizzy's Club Coca Cola regular. Going to see Wynton Marsalis and his orchestra perform Ellington's Nutcracker Suite this Friday at NJPAC. Can't wait.

Lou

Edited by theteach

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bill Barton

I just returned from an afternoon show at The Seattle Asian Art Museum. The "Jazzipino" vocalist Charmaine Clamor was delightful. She performed with a trio including Seattle pianist Victor Noriega. Not being much of a fan of most singers I count myself among "the converted" in her case. In short: hear her.

Last night I heard Von Freeman, Ed Peterson, Willie Pickens, Brian Sandstrom and Robert Shy at the Green Mill. After the show Von said I'll tell brother George you said hello. I asked how George was doing and Von replied "He's 80 years old" and I said "How old are you?" - Von laughed and said "85". He told Ann she was more beautiful than ever. God, I love that man. You can expect a new cd by Vonski in the near future.

Guest Bill Barton

Last night I heard Von Freeman, Ed Peterson, Willie Pickens, Brian Sandstrom and Robert Shy at the Green Mill. After the show Von said I'll tell brother George you said hello. I asked how George was doing and Von replied "He's 80 years old" and I said "How old are you?" - Von laughed and said "85". He told Ann she was more beautiful than ever. God, I love that man. You can expect a new cd by Vonski in the near future.

Makes me wish that I lived near Chicago (well, sort of, other than the weather...) One of my most treasured memories is hearing Vonski live for the one and only time so far a few years back at Tula's in Seattle. I certainly hope that he makes another trip to the West Coast soon. What a great musician and what a sweet man.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night we attended a Cello recital at the Sir Jack Lyons Hall, York.

The cellist has played with my wife's orchestra before and the pieces were very well chosen and all very interesting.

Janáček Pohádka (A Tale)

Schumann 5 pieces in a Folksong Style, op. 102

Debussy Cello Sonata

Shostakovich Cello Sonata, op. 40

I could have listened all night to the pianist's Shostakovich lines.

Is anyone going to the Curtis Fuller 75th Birthday celebration at Iridium in NYC tonight (or over the weekend)? I'm going to be hitting up the 10:30 show tonight--Curtis with Rene McLean, Eddie Henderson, Wallace Roney, and Red Halloway.

Saw Stefon Harris and Blackout at "Dizzy's Club Coca Cola" on Monday. Great show--terrific improvisations.

Might check out Don Byron with Uri Caine tomorrow night at the Vanguard.

Dave Liebman with one of the UK's best young(ish) guitarists, Phil Robson plus Aiden o'Donnell (bass) and Jeff Williams (drums).

Wonderful mix of standards - 'In Your Own Sweet Way', 'Speak Low' - and originals from Robson. Liebman started a great version of 'India' by playing a MacDonald's straw - a party piece?

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Here's a review of an incredible show I saw on Tuesday night....

The call of Russia's steppes heard in Tuva's folk music

By David R. Stampone

For The Inquirer

Otherworldly is an apt word to describe Tuvan throat-singing. On Tuesday at the Rotunda, as the three members of Tuva's Alash gave deep voice to the first of a dozen numbers, listeners having their first live encounter with the Central Asian folk genre could be identified by their startled looks.

Developed over centuries among the semi-nomadic herdsmen of Tuva, where they could sing to each other over long distances, the eerie vocalizations have long been a national passion in the land bordering southern Siberia. The singers use the larynx to simultaneously produce multiple tones.

As exotic as they are, however, the sounds and songs soon yielded familiar points of reference. The ultra-low quaking tones that first emerged from the singers suggested cartoon voices, like Popeye chanting in measured phrases. The subsequent higher tones sounded like a synthesizer or pleasantly modulating electric device.

And then there were the nature sounds, melodic representations of bird tweets, baying wolves, winds sweeping across the steppes and, above all, horses - key in Tuva's equine culture. Sean Quirk, the young Chicagoan who manages and interprets for Alash, introduced a solo vocal from drummer Ayan Shirizhik (on a goatskin-covered kengirge), in borbangnadyr style - literally "to cause something to make itself round" - and asked the 200-plus listeners to imagine a cyclically burbling stream. Easily done.

Quirk also introduced the important "Lament of the Igil" selection, which relates the folk tale of a beloved horse's ghost instructing the grieving owner to make and play an igil, a bowed, two-stringed, horse-head fiddle. (Nice synchronicity at the anniversary of Barbaro's passing.) Bady-Dorzhu Ondar, 23, began on the instrument (he can be seen on YouTube making his American TV debut at age 9 with Alash artistic director Kongar-ool Ondar, the master vocalist who was featured in the award-winning 1999 documentary Genghis Blues).

Philadelphia's eight-piece Extra (Special) Terrestrial (Guests) - half of the band coming from the legendary Sun Ra Arkestra, the first American jazz band to play in Tuva, in 2004 - later did a rousing set of free jazz improv. Their performance featured worldly groove assistance from South African percussionist Mogauwane Mahloele, and renowned local musician Elliot Levin, matching eruptive sax chops with octogenarian Arkestra leader Marshall Allen. The show closed with Alash coming out to lead a sublime group jam on the Tuvan standard "The Caravan-Driver Song."

Last night, the Monterey Festival All Stars at McFarlin Auditorium, Dallas. The rhythm section was okay; and I'm not a particular fan of Benny Green on piano. There was too much of Nnena Freelon's vocals. And is it really necessary to introduce the musicians 20 times in the course of a concert? But it was a pleasure to see 82 year old James Moody. The whole proceeding was elevated, however, by the fantastic playing of Terence Blanchard, who seems to have reached quite a peak in his playing. The highlight of the concert was the quartet performance by Blanchard of two pieces from his Katrina suite.

I grumble to myself about the limited jazz opportunities here, and what do I stumble across?

Terrence Blanchard is playing here Monday (Monday!) in a sextet under the banner "Monterey Jazz Festival 50th Anniversary Tour" (???), and the Ken Peplowski Trio with Bucky Pizzarelli is performing here on Feb. 23.

Things are picking up. I'm in.