What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Too bad I can't make it ...

Is it a Solo concert with Weston or a trio as scheduled on his website ? I saw the trio (with Blake & Clarke) twice last year. In Marciac in late summer where I did not completely appreciate the show (maybe the noise, the chapiteau, my AB42 seat, whatever...). However, the gig in Glasgow earlier in the summer was short but splendid. Only a hundred of people in the audience (??!!), a beautiful place (An old fruitmarket), at the first table 5 meters from the stage with a pint of ale enjoying 'Well you needn't' and his classic compositions :cool:

Solo - and that club he's playing usually is reliable with their information. The night after he's scheduled to play solo in Basel as well, so I guess he's on a small solo tour, I didn't check his website, though.

Weston did play in trio w/Alex Blake and Neil Clarke - wow, this was one hell of a great concert! The three of them really enjoyed themselves, and Blake went berserk over his double bass (playing seated on a normal chair!), doing flamenco-guitar-like wild stuff. Clarke is a master drummer! Weston could have taken some more space for himself, but he, too, played great. They did the usual "greatest hits": Little Niles, Hi-Fly, Berkshire Blues, Blue Moses, Mystery of Love, African Cookbook, and one or two more, plus a terrific encore that he didn't announce and I didn't recognise (or rather I did, but couldn't identify).

Guest Bill Barton

That sounds like a wonderful concert experience, king ubu! That's a killer trio... Quite the birthday gift to yourself!!!!!

I've seen Randy Weston only once in performance - darn it! - and that show in Montreal in duo with David Murray many years back - "The Healers" - ranks up there in my "Top Ten" of all time out of hundreds of concerts.

That sounds like a wonderful concert experience, king ubu! That's a killer trio... Quite the birthday gift to yourself!!!!!

I've seen Randy Weston only once in performance - darn it! - and that show in Montreal in duo with David Murray many years back - "The Healers" - ranks up there in my "Top Ten" of all time out of hundreds of concerts.

Yes, it was wonderful indeed! And I feel very lucky to have finally seen Randy live! Oh, and Neil Clarke never really struck me as such a masterly player on disc... it's much more Randy's gig when they're in the studio, it seems... live they were very much a trio, even to the point that I'd sometimes wished Randy to take some longer solos or longer intros or whatever... but then he played a long and marvellous blues solo on Berkshire Blues... so no complainin', no Sir!

Too bad I can't make it ...

Is it a Solo concert with Weston or a trio as scheduled on his website ? I saw the trio (with Blake & Clarke) twice last year. In Marciac in late summer where I did not completely appreciate the show (maybe the noise, the chapiteau, my AB42 seat, whatever...). However, the gig in Glasgow earlier in the summer was short but splendid. Only a hundred of people in the audience (??!!), a beautiful place (An old fruitmarket), at the first table 5 meters from the stage with a pint of ale enjoying 'Well you needn't' and his classic compositions :cool:

Solo - and that club he's playing usually is reliable with their information. The night after he's scheduled to play solo in Basel as well, so I guess he's on a small solo tour, I didn't check his website, though.

Weston did play in trio w/Alex Blake and Neil Clarke - wow, this was one hell of a great concert! The three of them really enjoyed themselves, and Blake went berserk over his double bass (playing seated on a normal chair!), doing flamenco-guitar-like wild stuff. Clarke is a master drummer! Weston could have taken some more space for himself, but he, too, played great. They did the usual "greatest hits": Little Niles, Hi-Fly, Berkshire Blues, Blue Moses, Mystery of Love, African Cookbook, and one or two more, plus a terrific encore that he didn't announce and I didn't recognise (or rather I did, but couldn't identify).

Knew you'd enjoy it, Flurin. I caught that trio about a year and a half ago and they were tremendous - one of the best shows I saw that year. Met Randy afterwards and chatted a bit too; had him sign my Mosaic select disc and he had a laugh over the "young" photo of him. I'm eagerly awaiting his next return to town.

Sonny Rollins at the Kennedy Center!!!

:excited:

I was there as well. First time ever to experience Mr. Rollins in person. Initially fearful that it would be extremely short--only played for about 20 minutes before taking a break (much like Tyner earlier this year), but played for an hour plus after the break. The guy is still having fun, and sounding as vital as ever. Fairly full house too (many DC class trip student groups).

Also there, fortunate to walk up to the ticket window and get 8th row seats 2 hours before the show (why do the bastards do that-but I'll take it) and was very impressed with the endless ideas he interprets. The review is on washingtonpost.com and was positive and fair. The guitarist Bobby Broom was the weak link but got it together in the last song. Bob Cranshaw is 75 but looks and played like he's 45!

I was there also, with my wife. We were sitting in one of those boxes to the side on the lower level. Wife was a little put off with his intense opener, Sonny, Please, but REALLY enjoyed the remainder of the show, especially the calypsos, Global Warming and one other I can't think of right now.

It was my first time seeing him live and he certainly did not disappoint, still brimming with ideas. His cadenza at the end of In a Sentimental Mood was a highlight for me -- especially how he seamlessly morphed it into Things Ain't What They Used to Be and then back.

I was a little bored by the percussion solo but otherwise felt everyone in his band played fine, though Sonny was CLEARLY the star of the show. Also agree about Cranshaw -- he is looking and still playing great!

Another note is my wife kept commenting about how 'cute' Rollins looked prancing about the stage. While that is not exactly how I would describe it, he certainly has a distinct way of shuffling about at his stage in life. I'm just glad I got to see him live...

On Friday night(4/18) I went to see Reptet with our own Johnny E in Brooklyn, and it was an absolute gas!!! Repter is tight, loose, irreverent, serious and loads and loads of fun. They play with much panache and aren't shy about humor in their music. They're such a great contrast to some of the (very) stuffed shirts we have out there trying to sell jazz as museum music that must be always serious.

Repte has a terrific 4 part horn section, trombone/tuba, trumpet and 2 saxes, all able soloists with ideas and some fire in them. Twice during the set they walked out of the venue and onto the street, playing on 7th Avenue in Brooklyn! Add a fine bassist(acoustic & electric) and our own Johhny E doing a great job of smackin' the skins and we have a formula for great music that is not formulaic!

I only had one regret- Repete only played one set.

Also at the gig I picked up the new Reptet disc, 'Chicken or Beef', which by the title alone shows that they aren't afraid to tackle weighty existential questions. I've given the disc a couple spins and I very highly recommend it. :tup:tup:tup:tup:tup:party::party::party:

On Friday night(4/18) I went to see Reptet with our own Johnny E in Brooklyn, and it was an absolute gas!!! Repter is tight, loose, irreverent, serious and loads and loads of fun. They play with much panache and aren't shy about humor in their music. They're such a great contrast to some of the (very) stuffed shirts we have out there trying to sell jazz as museum music that must be always serious.

Repte has a terrific 4 part horn section, trombone/tuba, trumpet and 2 saxes, all able soloists with ideas and some fire in them. Twice during the set they walked out of the venue and onto the street, playing on 7th Avenue in Brooklyn! Add a fine bassist(acoustic & electric) and our own Johhny E doing a great job of smackin' the skins and we have a formula for great music that is not formulaic!

I only had one regret- Repete only played one set.

Also at the gig I picked up the new Reptet disc, 'Chicken or Beef', which by the title alone shows that they aren't afraid to tackle weighty existential questions. I've given the disc a couple spins and I very highly recommend it. :tup:tup:tup:tup:tup:party::party::party:

We got 90 minutes in Philly and it wasn't enough.

Last night, went to see Tim Berne (well, Craig Taborn really) at the Vortex. Unfortunately I was a week early. Better than a week late.

Sidewinder, please report back on Wayne ... first time I haven't been to the quartet's London show. Very much diminishing returns for me (tho admittedly starting from a precipitous height).

Last night, went to see Tim Berne (well, Craig Taborn really) at the Vortex. Unfortunately I was a week early. Better than a week late.

Sidewinder, please report back on Wayne ... first time I haven't been to the quartet's London show. Very much diminishing returns for me (tho admittedly starting from a precipitous height).

Yeah, very tempted to catch Taborn there...He was the star of the show (very subtly so) when the 'Prezens' band played there earlier in the year.

Last night I went to the Cedar to see Hamell on Trial.

Last Saturday I saw Kraftwerk in Maplewood, MN.

Hamell on Trial is a hoot. There are some live recordings up on archive.org that made me smile.

I am headed to see Jack Rose the guitar player in St. Paul tonight.

Guest Bill Barton

The Ballard Jazz Festival is in full swing...

Tonight I'm going to hear The Hal Galper Trio and The Hadley Caliman Quintet. Dawn Clement is playing with the quintet.

Tomorrow night it's The Sam Yahel Trio and Lee Konitz with The Hal Galper Trio. Konitz is one of the living masters whom I've never experienced in live performance and I'm really, really, really looking forward to his Seattle appearance.

Last night I went to the Cedar to see Hamell on Trial.

Last Saturday I saw Kraftwerk in Maplewood, MN.

Hamell on Trial is a hoot. There are some live recordings up on archive.org that made me smile.

I am headed to see Jack Rose the guitar player in St. Paul tonight.

Most of the evening I was laughing and smiling but I can't share those moments because they most likely would be bumped to the political forum! :lol: