What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Sidewinder, please report back on Wayne ... first time I haven't been to the quartet's London show. Very much diminishing returns for me (tho admittedly starting from a precipitous height).

Great show again from Wayne and the band last night. It's about the 3rd time I've seen them at the Barbican and I think this was the best of the performances - Wayne mainly on tenor (for about 90%) off the time and much of the set being very impressionistic, brooding and abstract - reminded me a bit of late period Trane a la 'Meditations' but with a much lighter tone of course. The tunes were difficult to work out for me but I picked out 'Go' from 'Schizophrenia' which segued nicely into 'She Moved Through The Fair'. After the very impressionistic main set they tightened the focus very effectively for the encore ('Up In Carlito's Lair' I think, not sure) and with Wayne's switch to the soprano it was a stunning contrast. Good to see the great man play lots of tenor with some fantastic serpentine fast runs, playing off of Perez's piano flurries :tup. The band to me also seem to get better each time - in particular, really enjoyed Mr Pattituci's arco bass work on this occasion.

Always good to see this group. :)

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Bill Barton

The Hadley Caliman Quintet and the Hal Galper Trio were excellent last night.

Tonight it's the Sam Yahel Trio opening for Lee Konitz with the Galper Trio. :excited::excited::excited:

Edited by Bill Barton

Tonight it's the Sam Yahel Trio opening for Lee Konitz with the Galper Trio. :excited::excited::excited:

It's shows like this that make me wish I still lived in Seattle. Hell, I used to ride my bike down from Queen Anne hill to Ballard all the time.

Guest Bill Barton

It's shows like this that make me wish I still lived in Seattle. Hell, I used to ride my bike down from Queen Anne hill to Ballard all the time.

Both shows were excellent, Shawn. It was very cool to finally hear Konitz in performance. Last night I went to Cirque de Soleil's Corteo in Redmond at Marymoor Park. Obviously more than music... But the music alone was worth the trip. And the whole experience brought back great memories of Montreal.

Her appearance on Jane Ira Bloom's recording "Mental Weather" was the first I'd heard of Dawn Clement. Haven't delved as deeply into her own CD.

Heard Eric Reed and Cyrus Chestnut with Dezron Douglas on bass and Willie Jones III on drums -- Tom McIntosh's "The Cup Bearers" and Monk's "In Walked Bud" as two piano and rhythm virtuoso displays, sailin'. Then a duo for the pianos on some original music, Cyrus playing a solo medley of gospel numbers, Reed a solo medley of music from his new cd on Willie Jones III's label. And that was as much as a four and six year old could take. They were in their dresses and looking festive for Mother's Day.

Drove them home to the sitter than came back to Grand Rapids for Elvis Costello and The Police at VanAndle arena. Big nostalgia trip for 8,000 sing a long Police fans. Elvis was louder than an m-f-er. Played many of his hits and was joined on stage by Sting for "Allison." The Police's show and staging -- lights, camera, big screen -- are the best money can buy. High def video as big as a house.

Edited by Lazaro Vega

Guest Bill Barton

Her appearance on Jane Ira Bloom's recording "Mental Weather" was the first I'd heard of Dawn Clement. Haven't delved as deeply into her own CD...

That's a great disc! Engineering by the impeccable Jim Anderson doesn't hurt :excited: .

On Break, her composition "Singing Hands" is my personal favorite. The other original material and Denny Goodhew's tune are mighty tasty too. Judging from the times I've heard Dawn live, her vocals are better experienced in performance than on a recording. There was a previous thread here where a few folks expressed reservations about the vocals on her debut CD. I prefer to think of her as a pianist who also sings rather than a singer who plays piano. The vocals are heartfelt though, no question about it. But the originality of her piano playing is the major focus (or should be.)

Drove them home to the sitter than came back to Grand Rapids for Elvis Costello and The Police at VanAndle arena. Big nostalgia trip for 8,000 sing a long Police fans. Elvis was louder than an m-f-er. Played many of his hits and was joined on stage by Sting for "Allison." The Police's show and staging -- lights, camera, big screen -- are the best money can buy. High def video as big as a house.

We were also there, and damn glad we brought ear plugs!

Gavin Bryars

A Man In A Room Gambling

May 14 + 15, 2008 @ 8:00pm

German Society of Pennsylvania [map]

Barthelmes Auditorium

611 Spring Garden Street

Philadelphia, PA 19123

May 15 @ 8:00pm

Join us for an intimate evening of aural and visual sleight-of-hand in the 19th-century atmosphere of the historic German Society of Pennsylvania. Gavin Bryars’ 1992 ten part series for string quartet and spoken word, A Man In A Room Gambling, are beautiful feats of sonic subterfuge. Bryars created this cycle with the late sculptor Juan Muñoz, who included texts describing card tricks adapted from the legendary master S.W. Erdnase. Famous for his landmark 1902 handbook on close magic, originally titled The Magician at the Card Table, Erdnase was in life as he was on the stage: mysterious and elusive. Erdnase is an assumed name, and his true identity remains unknown to this day. Bryars’ music weaves seductively in and out of the intricate descriptions such that it is easy to loose the thread of both music and text.

Originally written as ten short pieces for the BBC Radio, A Man In A Room Gambling will be performed by renowned violinist and multi-stylist Todd Reynolds and the Todd Reynolds Situation, with a special guest appearance by Gavin Bryars on contrabass. For select vignettes, visual projections and design will be created by Bill Morrison and Laurie Olinder with direction by Bob McGrath. Some pieces will be performed with the original recordings of Juan Muñoz speaking his adaptations of S.W. Erdnase’s descriptions of expert card sharping.

Bryars and Muñoz created A Man In A Room Gambling on commission from London-based Artangel. Bryars has long envisioned creating a larger work for the theater based on Erdnase’s life and legacy, making A Man In A Room Gambling both a completed set of compositions unto themselves and studies for a larger work. These performances are presented as preview sketches for the full music-theater piece Who Was Erdnase?, which has been commissioned by Peregrine Arts to open in 2010.

Music by Gavin Bryars

Text (after S.W. Erdnase) by Juan Muñoz

Film by Bill Morrison

Visual Design by Laurie Olinder

Directed by Bob McGrath

Performed by the Todd Reynolds Situation with Gavin Bryars

Music Direction by Todd Reynolds

Guest Bill Barton

Tonight it's Ben Allison & Man Size Safe at Nectar in Fremont.

Ben puts on a good show. Recommended !

It was indeed a good show in Seattle.

Upcoming dates for Man Size Safe are:

May 15 Ben Allison and Man Size Safe - Redwood Jazz Festival

Humboldt County, CA

May 17 Ben Allison and Man Size Safe - Penofin Jazz Festival

Ukiah, CA

June 20 Ben Allison and Man Size Safe

Veneto, Italy