What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Arno,

Thank you. It was our pleasure. Terry Martin noted during the party that as many of the “Four Brothers” tenor players aged their sounds grew darker and more grainy, and that your playing is authentic. Couldn’t agree more.

Chuck, please thank Anne for the hand made card: looking to frame it.

It was good to see – and hear! – everyone.

LV

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last night I took a trip down memory lane to 1984 or so:

Picture4.jpg

Saw Trouble last night at Emo's in Austin. Unfortunately the original singer is gone (drug problems)...and the new guy just doesn't quite cut it...but the band still sounds GREAT. One of the best two guitar tandems in hard rock...up there with Thin Lizzy, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden. (That photo is from around 1985).

Sometimes it's good to revisit things like this, took me back many years and brought back plentiful memories, most good...some very painful...but it was a personally rewarding experience.

Arno,

Thank you. It was our pleasure. Terry Martin noted during the party that as many of the “Four Brothers” tenor players aged their sounds grew darker and more grainy, and that your playing is authentic. Couldn’t agree more.

Chuck, please thank Anne for the hand made card: looking to frame it.

It was good to see – and hear! – everyone.

LV

I want to bring my kayak out and launch from your dock.. Beautiful place!

Again to the Wigan Jazz Festival, this time for the Jim Mullen Organ Trio: Mullen (guitar), Mike Gorman (organ) and Matt Skelton (drums). Very pleased as a member of this forum to be able to report on an impressive British group with this instrumental format. Anyone heard them?

Again to the Wigan Jazz Festival, this time for the Jim Mullen Organ Trio: Mullen (guitar), Mike Gorman (organ) and Matt Skelton (drums). Very pleased as a member of this forum to be able to report on an impressive British group with this instrumental format. Anyone heard them?

I've heard them but never seen them - and they sound very good. They were doing a gig at an upstairs venue at Cheltenham a few years ago with entrance restricted so unfortunately I could only listen from outside. They were groovin' !

Saw the following bands at the local jazz festival.

David Murray Black Saint Quartet

John Butcher & Gerry Hemingway

and trio Hemingway, Anders Jormin and Verneri Pohjola playing their own compositions.

I even managed to get some of my David Murray cds signed and Hemingway sold me his last copy of Waltzes.. on GM label and signed it as well.

Last night - went to the Proms' Stockhausen evening...

Early evening - Gruppen (twice), Kontakte, and two pieces from Klang (the 5th and 13th hours)...

Late night - Stimmung, done by the Theatre of Voices, who have just recorded it as well.

A fascinating night's music...a lot of which I didn't enjoy, a lot more of which I did...but it did make me think! Wrote some more extended thoughts here, fwiw.

Last night - went to the Proms' Stockhausen evening...

Early evening - Gruppen (twice), Kontakte, and two pieces from Klang (the 5th and 13th hours)...

Late night - Stimmung, done by the Theatre of Voices, who have just recorded it as well.

A fascinating night's music...a lot of which I didn't enjoy, a lot more of which I did...but it did make me think! Wrote some more extended thoughts here, fwiw.

link fixed:

http://www.alexanderhawkins.com/blog.html

wow to you playing with ray warleigh! (only now his recordings with nick drake which i treasure... guess that's the type of gig a jazz musician doesn't want to be identified with in the first place... but still...)

saw a performance of one of stockhausen's electronic pieces which were performed with speakers in all corners of the room so the seats in the middle were best, came late and only got a seat in the front row so i sat directly opposite stockhausen himself for the two hours... he wasn't joe maini but he did have a scary aura...

Sunday night I caught Lou Donaldson at the Jazz Showcase in Chicago. Lou was great as always (not just for age 81 but for any age) doing mostly a mix of his hits, swinging and slow blues (one or two vocals per set) and Bird tunes since the gig was part of the Showcase's annual Bird birthday tribute month. Just as impressive and well-received was his organist Akiko Tsurogi, who kept the cushion going very nicely and knows how to build a solo in the classic manner without being overly cliched. She was selling her CD Harlem Dreams (available on Amazon along with Sweet And Funky); unfortunately it doesn't list the personnel in English, but she says Frank Wess and Grady Tate are on it. She's certainly one more good reason to check Lou, and the CD is worth bringing an extra $15 for.

Sunday night I caught Lou Donaldson at the Jazz Showcase in Chicago. Lou was great as always (not just for age 81 but for any age) doing mostly a mix of his hits, swinging and slow blues (one or two vocals per set) and Bird tunes since the gig was part of the Showcase's annual Bird birthday tribute month. Just as impressive and well-received was his organist Akiko Tsurogi, who kept the cushion going very nicely and knows how to build a solo in the classic manner without being overly cliched. She was selling her CD Harlem Dreams (available on Amazon along with Sweet And Funky); unfortunately it doesn't list the personnel in English, but she says Frank Wess and Grady Tate are on it. She's certainly one more good reason to check Lou, and the CD is worth bringing an extra $15 for.

Thank you for the review! I have tickets for Lou Donaldson tonight at the Dakota. I am really excited.

BTW: I saw Booker T and The MGs on Saturday night as well. Quite a great evening with great music and a nice breeze at the outdoors venue.