What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tuesday night: Mingus Big Band at the Iridium. I was able to attend the second set--Paris in Blue, Jump Monk, Sweet Sucker Dance, Devil Blues, and Better Get Hit in Your Soul.. Among others, featured Abraham Burton, Frank Lacy, Helen Sung, Lou Soloff, Dwayne Burno, Earl McIntyre, and Kenny Rampton. At the end, Abraham Burton announced that this was the final set at the Iridium for the MBB. However, as I was leaving Sue Mingus said that they were relocating to Jazz Standard in October.

Wednesday night: Mike Stern trio at 55 Bar. A mighty fine set.

A friend of mine is dragging me to see "My Morning Jacket" tonight at Stubbs...I guess we'll see whether I regret it or not.

Well?

Surprisingly it was a very good show. I didn't like all the material, but as a whole they're definitely an interesting band. They have the ability to be a jam band, but they're happy with being succinct and keeping the songs relatively short. They did stretch out on a few numbers and were quite impressive. The one guitarist played pedal steel on quite a few tunes and also played saxophone on a couple songs. Their drummer is rock solid.

John Taylor Trio in a beautiful Dorset former country church setting. Should be fantastic ! :excited:

24.jpg

I envy you, Sidewinder! I do like the way churches are being made more use of for music - with Acoustic Triangle leading the way, actually seeking them out to persuade the vicar it might be a nice idea! Wouldn't work for all jazz - the echo-y acoustics might defeat some music.

The Taylor trio (I assume it's Palle and Martin) were wonderful in Sheffield back in January. Have a great time.

The Taylor trio (I assume it's Palle and Martin) were wonderful in Sheffield back in January. Have a great time.

Thank you ! I think it's a new trio with Matt Penman and Hayden Chisholm - both Kiwis.

The church is in a tiny place called Plush just outside Piddletrenthide ie. in the middle of nowhere. Lovely spot - here's the link:

Plush

Edited by sidewinder

Thank you ! I think it's a new trio with Matt Penman and Hayden Chisholm - both Kiwis.

The church is in a tiny place called Plush just outside Piddletrenthide ie. in the middle of nowhere. Lovely spot - here's the link:

Plush

Very interesting (both venue and line-up).

I knew nothing of that new trio. Will be interesting to hear.

John Taylor never sits still, does he? I saw him at Bath last year doing totally improvised music in a duo with Tom Arthurs.

I missed that duo performance in Bath with Tom Arthurs unfortunately but I did catch his own trio (very good) later in the year. Last time I saw Taylor was with Danielsson and France so will be interesting to check out the new lineup.

I've never seen a less than very good performance from John Taylor (ever since I caught that first gig with Norma Winstone and Tony Coe)

Edited by sidewinder

A friend of mine is dragging me to see "My Morning Jacket" tonight at Stubbs...I guess we'll see whether I regret it or not.

Well?

Surprisingly it was a very good show. I didn't like all the material, but as a whole they're definitely an interesting band. They have the ability to be a jam band, but they're happy with being succinct and keeping the songs relatively short. They did stretch out on a few numbers and were quite impressive. The one guitarist played pedal steel on quite a few tunes and also played saxophone on a couple songs. Their drummer is rock solid.

Thanks for the review. Surprisingly, I have really been enjoying their recordings, so I bought tickets for to see them in the beginning of October.

I've seen Penman with the SF Jazz Collective - nice player, and nice guy.

I've seen Penman with the SF Jazz Collective - nice player, and nice guy.

Yes, he was good - and the blurb in the gig handout mentioned that he was a member of the SFJC.

Great little gig. Wonderfully atmospheric Victorian country church straight out of Thomas Hardy Central Casting lit up on the outside with flame torches and with a mini bar-marquee serving good wine by the glass. Tres posh ! :rsmile:

Edited by sidewinder

Saw a very fine trio this monday Barry Guy / Maya Homburger / Jeff Reilly, a cross between improvisation and chamber music, Guy delivered once again another kick ass bass solo, enjoyed also very much the work by his wife .

Gonna see this friday the Charlie Hunter quartet.

The Hunter gig was quite fantastic, great groovy music, great catchy tunes, enjoyed especially Eric Deutsch on keyboards and as a guy who enjoys quirky covers, they did an outstanding version of One bad apple :excited: and as an encore they did back in black, needlesss to say it was way better than Celine Dion's version.

Small edit the quartet turned out to be a trio, the third member of this fine band is Tony Mason. Go see them if they come near your town.

http://www.charliehunter.com/baboon-strength/

Edited by Van Basten II