What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last night I saw Eric Harland's brand new quintet--it was their first performance. Harland, drums, composer; Walter Smith III, tenor sax; Julian Lage, guitar; Taylor Eigsti, piano; Harish Raghavan, bass. Very, very cool--longish jamming over interesting grooves and melodic motifs, high energy, creative interplay, all the musicians having an absolute gas despite jet lag. A lot of fusion influence somehow, but indirect. It was my first time seeing any of them and I was very impressed. It was the sort of concert where everybody goes home grinning. They were recording, and will record subsequent concerts on the tour with the hopes of releasing a live album.

So I started googling and found that there's a whole generation I haven't been aware of. Lage and Smith, Christian Scott, a bunch of other names all playing on each other's albums and gigging with each other. Anybody familiar with what these young guys are doing?

Last night I saw Eric Harland's brand new quintet--it was their first performance. Harland, drums, composer; Walter Smith III, tenor sax; Julian Lage, guitar; Taylor Eigsti, piano; Harish Raghavan, bass. Very, very cool--longish jamming over interesting grooves and melodic motifs, high energy, creative interplay, all the musicians having an absolute gas despite jet lag. A lot of fusion influence somehow, but indirect. It was my first time seeing any of them and I was very impressed. It was the sort of concert where everybody goes home grinning. They were recording, and will record subsequent concerts on the tour with the hopes of releasing a live album.

So I started googling and found that there's a whole generation I haven't been aware of. Lage and Smith, Christian Scott, a bunch of other names all playing on each other's albums and gigging with each other. Anybody familiar with what these young guys are doing?

Lage played with Gary Burton for some time.

m~

What ejp626 said. It was great to meet him and Rachel and to see the guys in the band again, though there little time for them to talk between sets, and I was too tired to stay for more than one. Reinforced my longtime feeling that this is a band that can make its points with and over virtually any talky audience but can be listened to at whatever level of subtlety you can and want to bring to them. Stuff is happening all the time -- not unlike vintage Horace Silver that way -- and it leads (no small matter) to internal group zest and satisfaction.

Carla, our daughter was there too and said it was a great show. She said she saw Kart and Tesser, went at the break to greet them and you/they were gone. She said Jim stopped by and said "Hi".

What ejp626 said. It was great to meet him and Rachel and to see the guys in the band again, though there little time for them to talk between sets, and I was too tired to stay for more than one. Reinforced my longtime feeling that this is a band that can make its points with and over virtually any talky audience but can be listened to at whatever level of subtlety you can and want to bring to them. Stuff is happening all the time -- not unlike vintage Horace Silver that way -- and it leads (no small matter) to internal group zest and satisfaction.

Carla, our daughter was there too and said it was a great show. She said she saw Kart and Tesser, went at the break to greet them and you/they were gone.

Darn. On the other hand, I was so tired I might not have been able to put two sentences together.

Carla, our daughter was there too and said it was a great show. She said she saw Kart and Tesser, went at the break to greet them and you/they were gone. She said Jim stopped by and said "Hi".

Oh man, I wasn't even aware that Carla was there.. It was crazy with people coming up wanting to talk.. I never got a chance to even go to the bar for a taste..

I saw Christian Scott earlier this year playing in Mike Clark's band. A pretty nice young trumpeter

just saw a concert announcement for mid-november, just around the corner from here, hope i will make it... the line-up includes my two favorite local tenor players (simion and dudek) and a bunch of other people i'd really like to hear...

Manfred Schoof (trumpet)

Jiri Stivin (flute)

Alan Skidmore, Stan Sulzman, Nicolas Simion, Gerd Dudek (sax)

Rob van den Broeck (piano)

Ali Haurand (bass)

Tony Levin (drums)

Tonight, if I have the energy:

10:00 PM at the Hungry Brain

Tony Malaby's Tamarindo, Ingebrigt HÃ¥ker Flaten, Nasheet Waits

Very annoying, as I thought might be the case from records, but I had to hear what he sounded like in-person 'cause sometimes that makes a big difference and so many good people (including good musicians) dig him. Roughly, a "farther out" Joe Lovano without even the sub-interest of handling changes with some deftness, plus that hoarse, gargly neo-Trane sound that I can't stand -- the one where the player sounds from the first note like his eyes are half-shut in ecstasy. I walked.

Very annoying, as I thought might be the case from records, but I had to hear what he sounded like in-person 'cause sometimes that makes a big difference and so many good people (including good musicians) dig him. Roughly, a "farther out" Joe Lovano without even the sub-interest of handling changes with some deftness, plus that hoarse, gargly neo-Trane sound that I can't stand -- the one where the player sounds from the first note like his eyes are half-shut in ecstasy. I walked.

Ouch!!!

I like his CDs better than that.

Have never seen / heard him live.

What did you think of Nasheet Waits?

What did you think of Nasheet Waits?

Good, I guess, but hard to tell because I didn't like what he was interacting with. I've liked him on record, heard him once before in person with Brotzmann. That night he was explosively loud, but it fit the situation. Heard his Dad once in person, with Billy Taylor. What a beautifully slick drummer!

I might have misunderstood. Joe, not Jim? My error.

edit to say my info was transferred via her mother. Most white guys look alike to her. :lol:

No, it was a joke - I had invited her via facebook, but never got a reply, and now find out that she was there but didn't come up to say hi. Sometimes I do stealth missions like that, but you know, just sayin'...

What the hell?

:winky:

Guest Bill Barton

Tonight:

Marilyn Crispell (solo piano) on a double-bill with the Paul Lytton/Nate Wooley duo.

Edit post-concert:

The solo piano set was exceptional. She continues to get better and better. So lyrical! In addition to the duo set, Ms. Crispell came back onstage to play two improvs with Lytton and Wooley, spending most of her time inside the piano and outside the piano (that is, playing the box itself). This was a fine evening of extremely adventurous music. It was definitely the first time that I've ever heard anyone play the trumpet without a mouthpiece - Wooley's got some wind, that's for sure! This segment was fascinating. He used a mike in the bell and an amplifier here; the rest of the set was totally acoustic. It was in the Chapel Performance Space which is ideal for completely acoustic music (no mikes, no amps.) Lytton's multiple percussion/trapset playing was an eye and ear opener for me too; it was the first time that I'd experienced his playing live. Masterful and sometimes hilarious.

Edited by Bill Barton

i just got back to my hotel after seeing anthony braxton with karl berger, followed by john zorn, and ending things with steven bernstein's millenium territory band. excellent music all around, especially zorn, who played with pianist sylvie courvoisier. last night i thoroughly enjoyed a set by a quartet led by john mcneil and bill mchenry at the iridium, and the night before it was bobby hutcherson at dizzy's. i love new york.