What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Bill Barton

Cecil Taylor was brilliant last night. He drew an excellent crowd too which was nice to see.

Tonight it's Georg Græwe solo on a double-bill with the Gust Burns/Greg Campbell Duo.

Guest Bill Barton

Last night Peter Apfelbaum's Aural Histories with Malian griot Abdoulaye Diabate and New York Hieroglyphics was exceptional. By all means check out this piece if Apfelbaum comes to your area.

Guest Bill Barton

Tonight (Friday) it's Charlie Haden & The Liberation Music Orchestra at Town Hall Seattle.

Edit post-concert:

Another superb show... Carla Bley wasn't able to be with the band. She got back from Brazil shortly before the date and was severely jet-lagged. Alan Broadbent was the consummate professional sitting in at the piano and handling the conducting too. Joe La Barbera was in for Matt Wilson on drums.

They played mainly music from Not In Our Name including the fascinating "America the Beautiful Medley," which includes Ornette's "Skies of America."

Most of the soloists were outstanding. I was particularly impressed with trumpeter Seneca Black. He had only one solo but that one was a real corker, with some testifying plunger mute work on the encore of "We Shall Overcome." On the minus side, and this is only a minor quibble taking into consideration the excellence of the rest of the music, I didn't care for Tony Malaby's solos at all; now I see/hear why some folks on the board have dissed him.

Edited by Bill Barton

Alejandro Escovedo is opening for Los Lonely Boys here on Sunday, at an outdoor concert pavilion.

Debating whether it's worth the LLB ticket prices to see AE. I don't really have much interest in seeing Los Lonely Boys, though I'm sure they're pleasant enough.

Has anyone seen Escovedo in concert?

Just saw Haden and the Liberation Jazz Orchestra in Santa Barbara. Agree with the posting above, though I liked all the soloists. My only complaint is that the saxes weren't miked and couldn't compete with the brass. Small hall (600) only about 2/3 full but those who were there loved it. Me too. I was thinking of going without my wife (she's not a big jazz fan) but she came along and was knocked out.

Just came back from hearing Tain (w/ David Budway, Marcus Strickland and Chris Smith). He was, as his usual, high enerygy, funny playing interesting compositions.

Afterwards at the hotel bar, we (mostly Tain) had a interesting encounter with a outrageous drunk ( Hey, brother man!). It was funny for a while because he just zeroed in on Tain who was minding his own business. I had to get security.

I AM GOING TO THIS TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:excited:

Legends of Jazz

Date/Time:Fri., November 7

Price: $45 to $125

Ivories Will Be TickledAnd fans will be sated at the Legends of Jazz concert.BY ERNEST BARTELDES

It is no easy task to fill in for a talented musician such as Ramsey Lewis (the pianist announced he will be suspending all performances owing to an undisclosed “medical issue”), but one cannot deny that Dave Brubeck — one of the biggest living legends on the national jazz scene — is more than a suitable replacement to lead the band on the ivories while the main man recovers. This Friday night, the Arsht Center kicks off its anticipated Jazz Roots concert series with a Legends of Jazz show that truly rises to the occasion.

At 87 years of age and still actively writing, recording, and touring, Brubeck came to national prominence after his quartet's 1959 Take Five album went platinum thanks to songs such as “Blue Rondo à la Turk,” “Pick Up Sticks,” and the title track became instant standards that still resonate to this day. Sharing the stage with Brubeck at this special South Florida concert is a who's who of jazz. Clarinetist Paquito D'Rivera has built a highly respected career both as a leader and sideman, appearing alongside the likes of Dizzy Gillespie, Yo-Yo Ma, and Rosa Passos. Backing band Fourplay is an all-star group comprising keyboardist Bob James, bassist Nathan East, drummer Harvey Mason, and guitarist Larry Carlton. Rounding out the group is Chicago-based Kurt Elling, a vocalist who has been taking the technique known as vocalese to new, greater heights. The presence of all these gentlemen on a single stage is reason enough to say this is a concert not to be missed. It begins at 8 p.m.

Guest Bill Barton

Barry Guy New Orchestra (with Evan Parker, Mats Gustafsson, Agustí Fernández, Herb Robertson...) at the XXVII Festival de Jazz San Juan Evangelista.

Here's the really outstanding festival program:

Cartel-27-Festival-de-Jazz-San-Juan-Evangelista.jpg

Wow, that's quite the impressive lineup. I'm jealous... <_< And I love the artwork.

Tonight, if everything goes according to plan, I'm going to hear Gust Burns' new quartet at Gallery 1412 in Seattle.

Post-concert edit:

I made it there in time to catch all of Burns' quartet's brief "set." He never touched the piano keyboard at all. It was all "inside piano" playing. His method of using variously-sized wooden dowels treated with rosin inserted in the soundboard and between the strings and played with his fingers, stroking up and down to create sounds ranging from the ethereal to the downright rude is fascinating. The other players (alto sax, double bass and viola) similarly never used anything resembling "traditional technique" on their instruments. This was a vivid contrast to Burns' playing in his duo with percussionist Greg Campbell in the recent Earshot Jazz Festival concert, where it was all keyboard. If you have a chance hear him in performance - go!

Edited by Bill Barton

So far, this has been terrific. Big, enthusiastic crowds. Concerts even started on time! Missed Saturday night myself but have caught the rest and will be there tonight.

EUROPEAN JAZZ MEETS CHICAGO

Produced in partnership with The Austrian Consulate General, The Goethe Institut Chicago, The Friends of Goethe, The Italian Cultural Institute of Chicago, The Consulate General of The Netherlands, The Polish Cultural Institute (NYC), The Consulate General of Poland, The Consulate General of Switzerland, and The Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs.

Claudia Cassidy Theater

6:00PM | Christian Weber Quartet (Switzerland)

Caroline Davis - alto saxophone

Jeb Bishop - trombone

Christian Weber - bass

Tim Daisy - drums

Preston Bradley Hall

6:45PM | Elisabeth Harnik Group (Austria)

Elisabeth Harnik - piano

Taylor Ho Bynum - cornet

Jeff Parker - guitar

Claudia Cassidy Theater

7:30PM | Mikolaj Trzaska Trio (Poland)

Mikolaj Trzaska - reeds

Kent Kessler - bass

Michael Zerang - drums

Preston Bradley Hall

8:15PM | von Schlippenbach/Lovens (Germany)

Alexander von Schlippenbach - piano

Paul Lovens - drums

Claudia Cassidy Theater

9:00PM | ZÜ (Italy)

Luca Mai - baritone saxophone

Massimo Pupillo - electric bass

Jacopo Battaglia - drums

Randolph Café

10:00PM | Braam/de Joode/Vatcher (The Netherlands)

Michiel Braam - piano

Wilbert de Joode - bass

Michael Vatcher - drums

Thursday, 6 November 2008

The Velvet Lounge

67 E Cermak Rd

velvetlounge.net

$15 cover

2008 UMBRELLA FESTIVAL NIGHT 2

9:00PM | Rempis/Kessler/Vatcher

Dave Rempis - saxophones

Kent Kessler - bass

Michael Vatcher - drums

10:00PM | Josh Berman Quintet

Josh Berman - cornet

Keefe Jackson - reeds

Jason Adasiewicz - vibes

Jason Roebke - bass

Frank Rosaly - drums

11:00PM | Alexander von Schlippenbach

Alexander von Schlippenbach - solo piano

Friday, 7 November 2008

Elastic

2830 N Milwaukee Ave

elasticarts.org

$15 requested donation

2008 UMBRELLA FESTIVAL NIGHT 3

9:00PM | Harnik/Bauder/Roebke

Elisabeth Harnik - piano

Matt Bauder - reeds

Jason Roebke - bass

10:00PM | 2008 Featured Artist Pt 1 : John Tchicai Solo

John Tchicai - reeds

11:00PM | Bik-Bent-Braam : Chicago Version

Michiel Braam - piano

Wilbert de Joode - bass

Michael Vatcher - drums

Jaimie Branch - trumpet

James Davis - trumpet

Jeb Bishop - trombone

Nick Broste - trombone

James Falzone - clarinet

Jason Stein - bass clarinet

Dave McDonnell - alto saxophone

Keefe Jackson - tenor saxophone

Tim Haldeman - tenor saxophone

Dave Rempis - tenor/baritone saxophone

Saturday, 8 November 2008

The Hideout

1354 W Wabansia Ave

hideoutchicago.com

$15 cover

2008 UMBRELLA FESTIVAL NIGHT 4

9:00PM | Trzaska/O'Reilly/Weber/Fujiwara

Mikolaj Trzaska - reeds

Evan O'Reilly - guitar

Christian Weber - bass

Tomas Fujiwara - drums

10:00PM | 2008 Featured Artist Pt 2 : Tchicai/Drake Duo

John Tchicai - reeds

Hamid Drake - drums

11:00PM | Douglas Ewart And Inventions

Douglas Ewart - reeds

Mwata Bowden - reeds

Jeff Parker - guitar

Darius Savage - bass

Dushun Mosley - drums

Dee Alexander - vocals

Sunday, 9 November 2008

The Hungry Brain

2319 W Belmont

eiorg.org

$15 suggested donation

2008 UMBRELLA FESTIVAL FINAL NIGHT

9:00PM | Baker/Williams/Sandstrom/Hunt

Mars Williams - reeds

Jim Baker - piano/electronics

Brian Sandstrom - guitar/bass

Steve Hunt - drums

10:00PM | Taylor Ho Bynum Quintet

Taylor Ho Bynum - cornet

Matt Bauder - reeds

Nicole Mitchell - flutes

Evan O'Reilly - guitar

Mary Halvorson - guitar

Tomas Fujiwara - drums

11:00PM | 2008 Featured Artist Pt 3 : John Tchicai Septet

John Tchicai - reeds

Nicole Mitchell - flutes

Aaron Getsug - baritone saxophone

Jaimie Branch - trumpet

Mary Halvorson - guitar

Josh Abrams - bass

Mike Reed - drums

Heard Cecil Taylor at the Vanguard last night, sounding no less inspired than his engagement there last July.

Pound for pound (or note for note - every one of them intentional and precisely executed), I don't think there's another pianist out there today who individually delivers that much music in 60 minutes.