What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On Saturday I saw Sheila Jordan with a very good Paris rhythm section of Frank Avitabile, piano; Thomas Bramerie, bass; Aldo Romano, drums. Sheila is 80 years old and is still great! She sang with wit and energy, spontaneity and swing, her voice as expressive as ever and still under her deft control. Hippest singer on earth (well, her and Andy Bey). Go and see her if you get the chance, it's not too late!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest youmustbe

I'm going to hear 'Blue Train Revisited' at Iridium Jan 8-11 with Javon Jackson, Curtis Fuller, Terell Stafford, George Cables, Lonnie PLaxico, Andrew Cyrille.

Have to...it's my gig!

Come one, come all! Say you know me and they'll charge you double!

I'm going to hear 'Blue Train Revisited' at Iridium Jan 8-11 with Javon Jackson, Curtis Fuller, Terell Stafford, George Cables, Lonnie PLaxico, Andrew Cyrille.

Have to...it's my gig!

Come one, come all! Say you know me and they'll charge you double!

...are you Curtis Fuller?

On Friday night I went to an employee sponsored late Christmas party. My company decided to cancel the Christmas party becuase it 'wouldn't look good', so some of us kicked in some bucks and threw our own party. After about 4 hours of Scotch and Chinese food I decided to leave the party but I didn't want to go home, so I got on the subway and headed uptown to Birdland to catch Dave Holland's Octet. I showed up at 11:10 for the 11:00 set, but as luck would have it they hadn't started playing yet. Luck #2, there was one seat left and I had a great view.

The group is Nate Smith on drums, Steve Nelson on vibes, Alex Sipagian on trumpet, Robin Eubanks on 'bone, Gary Smulyan on Bari sax, Antonio Hart on alto and Chris Potter on tenor. I cannot possibly go overboard in recommending them- the entire band SMOKED!!! Not a weak solo in the bunch and some fine arrangements to boot. If they come around your way, SEE THEM.

• 3 weeks later...

So I saw Benny Golson at CSO celebrating his 80th Birthday. He has put together a sextet that includes Eddie Henderson on trumpet and Buster Williams on bass! Not that familiar with the others. Well, the show more or less doubled as a CD release party for his brand spanking new CD New Time, New 'Tet. They played Grove's Groove, Epistrophy, L'Adieu (adapted from Chopin), Gypsy Jingle-Jangle, Verdi's Voice (based on a short theme from Verdi) and Uptown Afterburn. So 6 of the 10 tracks. This would have been a great show by itself, but they came back for one encore and did a killer version of Killer Joe.

Benny still errs a bit on the side of talking more than playing, but this was only really notable in the introductions. And indeed, I was interested in some of the stories where he got his inspiration, particularly the Gypsy Jingle-Jangle and Verdi's Voice. I would say everything was good with the possible exception of L'Adieu which didn't really grab me. My favorite performances were Verdi's Voice, Killer Joe, Epistrophy. Uptown Afterburn and Gypsy Jingle-Jangle in roughly that order. He's definitely locked into that mid-tempo groove, which in my understanding is actually one of the hardest tempos to play in. I expect I'll be picking up his new CD soon (I was pretty wiped out or I could have bought it there for him to autograph).

Mulgrew Miller was the opening act and he was leading a new trio. They mostly played Golson compositions including I Remember Clifford (though they transformed it to the point I didn't recognize it) and ended with a blistering Relaxing at Camarillo. Definitely a good night out, though it's still colder than a witch's bottom here in Chi town.

Saw 90 year-old Hank Jones with his trio tonight at Yoshi's SF. Great show! Hank seems to be doing very well. Did a very nice variety of Bird, Monk, Wes, Joe Hen, JJJ, Body & Soul, a couple of his own tunes ... and one or two others.

He's getting a lifetime achievement Grammy this weekend, too.

Saw 90 year-old Hank Jones with his trio tonight at Yoshi's SF. Great show! Hank seems to be doing very well. Did a very nice variety of Bird, Monk, Wes, Joe Hen, JJJ, Body & Soul, a couple of his own tunes ... and one or two others.

The man is a phenomenon. Great to hear that he's still so active filling the clubs.

The man is a phenomenon. Great to hear that he's still so active filling the clubs.

Cool BF- I'd love to see Hank Jones.

So he played a JJ Johnson tune? Let me guess.....Lament? Which Joe Hen tune? Who else did he have in the trio?

Sorry, lots of questions. Sounds like it was a fun evening. :)

Cool BF- I'd love to see Hank Jones.

So he played a JJ Johnson tune? Let me guess.....Lament? Which Joe Hen tune? Who else did he have in the trio?

Sorry, lots of questions. Sounds like it was a fun evening. :)

Good guess, Free - yes, it was Lament!

Joe Hen "Recorda Me", Monk "Rhythma-Ning", don't remember which other tunes he played.

The trio was John Clayton (b) and Clayton "?" (d) - yes, 2 Claytons. The drummer was a younger guy who I think I saw with Hank about 5 years ago. Both were excellent.

Went to hear one of the great minds in music, the great Benny Golson Thursday night. What a treat. At first I was disappointed he didn't play his own works, but he had set some classical pieces and a pop tune for a sextet (billed as the new Jazztet, or something like that) and it was a breath of fresh air. Wonderful. His voicings for tenor, trumpet, bone.....no one touches him IMO.

Plus the man is a sweetheart. I've talked to him more than a few times through the years and even sent him my own music for his consideration (which he played through---every one). So I went backstage and waited for a lull with the photos and fans, etc. to tell Benny again what a hero he is to me. He took it in humility and appreciation. A truly great man and artist. And he's back living in the Apple! If I'm alive I will make it my business to catch Mr. Benny Golson at every opportunity---and open my ears. Wide.

BTW: Benny's men: Eddie Henderson, trumpet; Steve Davis, trombone (bad MF); Mike Ledonne, piano; Buster Williams!, bass, Carl Allen, drums. Not too shabby.....

Just back from a gig by the Christine Jensen Orchestra, starring her big sister Ingrid and a bunch of well etablished Montreal musicians Joel Miller, Steve Amirault, Chet Doxas and many many others. It had a very Maria Schneideresque feeling about the whole affair.

It is supposed to be available on a stream if there is any interest i'll put a link about it.

Saw François Richard Nouvel Orchestra last night, with once again a bunch of fine Montreal musicians such as Yannick Rieu, Steve Amirault, the lovely cellist Sheila Hannigan and many others, a 7 players string ensemble with the rythm section, a pianist, Richard who plays flute and Rieu on soprano and tenor sax plus featured guest Mark Feldman.

If the Jensen affair was Mariacchneideresque you could say this one was Gilevansesque.

Both shows were held at the finest place in Montreal for a jazz evening, Le Gesu.

Edited by Van Basten II

Ah, Ingrid is now teaching part time at the University of Michigan.

Heard Organissimo last night at The Alley Door Club in Muskegon. Good crowd, great music. Randy's new drum set and Joe's new guitar are, as Nessa said last night, "Shiny."

Yes, fine evening of tasteful, musical entertainment. :D

The Vegas, Skids, Nessas and company had a fine time.

Ah, Ingrid is now teaching part time at the University of Michigan.

Heard Organissimo last night at The Alley Door Club in Muskegon. Good crowd, great music. Randy's new drum set and Joe's new guitar are, as Nessa said last night, "Shiny."

Yes, fine evening of tasteful, musical entertainment. :D

The Vegas, Skids, Nessas and company had a fine time.

Hey Chuck,

How were the acoustics from your vantage point? Randy told me today that they moved the stage and that he was getting some reflections. Going to have

to be hyper-vigilant with RD when we go.

g

p.s. Also heard Glenn was doing some work for you...too cool!