What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Curtis Fuller Quintet at the Dakota tonight.

It's weird that in this town this is billed as the Curtis Fuller Quintet, but in others it was billed as Louis Hayes Quintet.

Louis was a no show at the gig I saw. He cut out to play with the Legacy band. He was replaced with Kobe Watkins who filled in fantasticly (is that a word)....!

Here are a few images from the show.

Curtis Fuller Quintet at the Dakota tonight.

It's weird that in this town this is billed as the Curtis Fuller Quintet, but in others it was billed as Louis Hayes Quintet.

Taking turns!!!

That was kind of my take, but I thought it should be billed as the Curtis Fuller-Louis Hayes Quintet.

I had a real blast at the show. C.F. was off the stage for 2 or 3 numbers, but it was still a great time. They opened the 2nd set with Arabia. Through out the show Fuller was very talkative, sharing stories about many of the greats he played with.

What was everyone's take on Maurice Brown?

Nice pics, Mark!

I was at the show, and I thought it killed! Maurice Brown was excellent, as was the young pianist.

I'm in agreement with Sal, Maurice Brown was very good! The piano player was 19 year old Jonathan Batise, part of the musical Batise family.....that kid's hands were huge!

m~

Mark, you are spoiling me with this photographs of people I have just seen or I am about to see!

I really liked Maurice Brown. When they started Arabia, I was a little nervous for him because of the history of Hubbard playing on the song, but he really shined.

I though Jonathan Batise was young, but didn't realize how young. He was a very nice piece to the group. Last night he had a feature with the trio playing "On Green Dolphin Street."

Mark, you are spoiling me with this photographs of people I have just seen or I am about to see!

I really liked Maurice Brown. When they started Arabia, I was a little nervous for him because of the history of Hubbard playing on the song, but he really shined.

I though Jonathan Batise was young, but didn't realize how young. He was a very nice piece to the group. Last night he had a feature with the trio playing "On Green Dolphin Street."

Yeah, I thought I would be really bummed out without Louis there but once they got going, it didn't really bother me. Very good band!

m~

We got to see Batise play "Evidence" with the trio. It was really something. Curtis Fuller mentioned how not many young cats are showing much influence from Monk in their playing. But Batise shows alot of promise.

Curtis Fuller mentioned how not many young cats are showing much influence from Monk in their playing.

So he was as talkative during your show?

He talked about all sorts of stuff at the show last night: Coltrane, Benny Golson, Art Blakey, Freddie Hubbard, and shyness, to just name a few of them!

Pretty incredible circumstances tonight...

At 5PM, I have another composition session with

Karlheinz Stockhausen which will be followed

by going to a concert in a Köln church with two of his daughters

to see their brother, trumpeter Markus Stockhausen, play.

If someone had told me 10 years ago that I'd be doing this,

I wouldn't have believed them! :o

Outstanding Rod! Please report about all the above.

I can't believe there were no responses to your posting.

Hey Chuck (and others),

Really great to get a chance to be there for this.

The church was gorgeous and Markus used a guy who

does these very slowly evolving light shows to provide extra atmosphere.

At times, I thought that I was at the LaMonte Young Dream House

with the occasional use of magenta lights. Markus sometimes does duets

with other musicians (recent ones have been with Hariprasad Chaurasia,

Stefano Scodanibbio, Arild Andersen, et al.), but this time it was just solo.

He began on stage but for other pieces he performed in the middle of the church

and eventually moved to the back of the stage and worked forward again.

The pix will show you that he was doing multitrack horn playing

thru a multispeaker surround setup.

About 90 minutes and then an intermission to tell some loud children outside

to pipe down and returning for another 30 minutes. All in all, a very wonderful,

relaxing (without being new-agey) ECMish kind of sound that was a

good winddown to a hectic couple of weeks.

Sorry that the pix are so noisy.

I'm still looking for that ideal camera for darkened spaces.

Markus

Sonny Fortune and Rashied Ali are playing the Jazz Bakery (LA) next week--four day stand, and I'm there.

This weekend is the Central Avenue Jazz Festival (in South Central)--a community-based, tented, open-air sort of affair; there's a good lineup--bright moments to be had. Maybe I'll drop in Sunday.

Last night at the Edinburgh Jazz festival

Giovanni Falzone- talented Sicilian trumpet player- Sicilain folk tunes and originals played by a quartet of trumpet,vibes, bass, drums. Lovely typical Italian jazz. Swung like hell, great melodies , lots of humour. Well worth your while

Hormigas- Spanish for Ants ( I was told), world class trio of Bill McHenry, Reid Anderson, Jorge Rossy. Wonderful free rolling trio. The standard of writing and playing beggared belief. One of the finest concerts I've evr attended. Hope these guys record. They're all high personable and the atmosphere in the jam packed venue (The Lot, Edinburgh) was electric if a little sweaty.

Attended the local jazz festival once again and listened to the following bands:

Atomic

Frank Gratkowski Quartet

Max Nagl Big Four

This was the the first time when I heard Atomic live and it was a mighty fine concert.Didn't care much about Gratkowski's gig,perhaps it was a little bit too "academic" to my taste. Max Nagl was great!

Attended the local jazz festival once again and listened to the following bands:

Atomic

This was the the first time when I heard Atomic live and it was a mighty fine concert....

During my vacations, I saw Atomic in the Bahía Jazz Festival at El Puerto de Santa María (Cádiz). Surprisingly interesting concert. I really enjoyed it!

Funny that I hadn´t seen your previous post, Swinger.

I really liked how they gave a new "sound" to what was "pure 60s free jazz" to my ears (at least on some songs).

Probably (in Chicago):

Sunday, 6 August 2006

The Hungry Brain

10:00 PM | Matt Schneider's Straight Six

Matt Schneider - guitar

Tomeka Reed - cello

Jason Adasiewicz - vibes

Anton Hatwich - bass

Nori Tanaka - drums

11:00 PM | Herculaneum

Dave McDonnell - saxophone

Patrick Newbery - trumpet

Nick Broste - trombone

Greg Danek - bass

Dylan Ryan - drums

Report from last night:

As the instrumention suggests, the basic reference point for Matt Schneider's group is a kind of '50s thing -- Chico Hamilton crossed with Shearing, perhaps -- but the material (all Schneider originals) was quite active and tough harmonically and structurally varied too, thus something that the models I've mentioned (if they are in fact models for this music) usually did not possess. There was room for improvisation but the nature of the pieces themselves was always there. Adasiewicz played with much elan (he hears changes like crazy---the more forbidding the better), and Schneider himself sounds like an unlikely cross between Raney and Howard Roberts. Cellist Tameka Reed was an asset; in fact, this was a genuine, happy to playing this music band.

As for Herculaneum, I'm not a fan of one of the horn soloists, Dave McDonnell (whose one of those "How hot can I get how quickly" altoists, though he was a bit less that way than last time), but I do like Broste and what little I've heard of Newbery, who combines a formidable technique wwith what seems to me to be a thoughftul, relaxed, unflashy temperament. I need to hear more to be sure, but he may be special. The main interest, though, is Dylan Ryan, in his mid 20s I'd say, who is a fair bit different than any other drummer I know, with the possible exception of New York-based Dan Weiss. Ryan has two tom-toms, one of them rather small and high-pitched, and typically he spends a lot of time on it, on its rim (especially), and on cymbal crowns, creating a continuous, multi-pitched, timbale-like chatter. This sounds like it might be annoying and intrusive, but in fact Ryan is very much a listener and/or, in this more or less comping role, the virtual leader of the band -- a la Horace Silver from the keyboard. My only doubt -- and this may be lack of understanding of what he's up to, having only heard him twice -- is that Ryan can seem a bit sloppy, not in terms of time but of cleanness/crsipness of stroke (though in his style, how much cleanness/crispness would be right?) I see from the group's new CD "Orange Blossom" (482 Music), which I bought last night but haven't listened to yet, that all the band's pieces are by Ryan, so I guess he is the leader.

Winard Harper Sextet with Bobby Watson joining them for the second set, on Saturday night at the Blue Room in Kansas City--it was one of the most exciting performances I have witnessed in some time. The first set, without Watson, was fine. The second set, with Watson, was inspired. (I have seen Watson do that to Wynton Marsalis' working combo too, about two years ago). Winard has some promising younger soloists with him--trumpeter Josh Evans, pianist Sean Higgins, tenor saxophonist Lawrence Clark.