What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

I saw the last two sets of the Jazz Bakery Sonny Fortune/Rashied Ali duo yesterday... one tune a set (well over an hour); second set was 'Love for Sale,' interestingly enough. I'm far too exhausted to do the full on analysis thing, but it was really, really fun. The two played great--an inside/outside, Coltranish sort of bag (redolent of the Coltrane/Jones duets--more so, strangely, than Interstellar Space), with Rashied at his most masterfully explosive and Sonny as articulate and energetic as I've ever heard him. The crowd was emphatic... and the musicians were very kind/grateful.

Edited by ep1str0phy

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also--saw Bobby Bradford's Mo'tet at LACMA on Friday (three sets--all free). A wonderfully nuanced performance--and for this sort of context, very ballsy (a lot of very free material--and not just in the Ornette vein). It's the Mo'tet of the last few years--Robert Miranda (bass), William Jeffrey (drums), Chuck Manning (sax), Don Preston (piano), Michael Vlatkovich (trombone), and Ken Rosser (guitar)--all the members play in other groups, but there are no wrinkles (i.e.--this is a unity). Extremely enjoyable and nice to see the LA crowd involved in the performance (the southland scene--where it exists--is rather conservative and very limited in scope--and opportunities).

Last night I saw Charlie Haden and Quartet West at the Blue Note in Manhattan - it was in honor of the band's 20th anniversary.

I am not a huge fan of the Blue Note, but the sound in the club is great. I just got a bar seat and even that was $20.

The band however, was in fine form and I thought they put on a great show, unfortunately no Larance Marable though, but Rodney Green filled in nicely.

They played lots of Quartet West tunes and played a Parker tune, and Ornette's "Lonely Woman"

Nothing tonight but starting Tuesday it's Nicholas Payton's tribute to Miles Davis, Wednesday night it's Bobby Broom, Thursday night it's Larry Kart/Lee Konitz at the Chicago Cultural Center and then down the street to Joshua Redman's 80th Birthday Tribute to John Coltrane at Symphony Center....and if that's not enough, the Chicago Jazz Fest kicks off Friday with our friends Organissimo, John Moulder, Lee Konitz, Jason Moran & Bandwagon w/Bunky Green, Joe Lovano, Maurice Brown, Donald Harrison, Joey D with Ron Blake and Dr. Lonnie Smith and more.....!!! Add the afterfest shows at the Jazz Showcase, Hot House and the Velvet and I won't get much sleep!!!

m~

Lyle Lovett's large band last night at Meijer Gardens in Grand Rapids. Four singers, four horns (tenor, alto, trumpet, trombone), electric guitar, mandolin doubling guitar and voice, cello, electric bass, percussion, drums and Lyle. Great show -- they opened the band portion with "Topsy" by Basie. There was no one kind of music but a melange of his influences: blues, gospel, Texas shit kicking music, bluegrass, and Lyle's version of rock n roll. His lead black singer from Atlanta did "Put A Little Sugar In My Bowl" and Ida Cox's 1924 "Wild Women Don't Get the Blues." Great show. Tight, well paced. My wife took me.

Lyle Lovett's large band last night at Meijer Gardens in Grand Rapids. Four singers, four horns (tenor, alto, trumpet, trombone), electric guitar, mandolin doubling guitar and voice, cello, electric bass, percussion, drums and Lyle. Great show -- they opened the band portion with "Topsy" by Basie. There was no one kind of music but a melange of his influences: blues, gospel, Texas shit kicking music, bluegrass, and Lyle's version of rock n roll. His lead black singer from Atlanta did "Put A Little Sugar In My Bowl" and Ida Cox's 1924 "Wild Women Don't Get the Blues." Great show. Tight, well paced. My wife took me.

He was just here in Corpus Christi this past Sunday, though I couldn't make the show. I like Lyle's sound and combination of styles into a cohesive "thing". I saw him last year, and they brought out a gospel choir on a couple of numbers, too.

Since it was an electric bassist, I guess it wasn't Viktor Krauss?

Aggie87, the bassist was from L.A. and looked like one of the dudes in Z.Z. Top: real long white hair, long, long Gandolf beard, and bald on top. Leeland Sklar? Solid session player. Left out funk, another element of the music. 2 1/2 hour concert and just all around great. Sat in front of the stage. Francine Reed is still with him (20 years down the road) and sounding great.

Edited by Lazaro Vega

Last night, Stanley Jordon at the Granada Theater. It's been nine years since I saw him last--it was an amazing and beautiful solo performance--two sets, over an hour each. The first set was mostly mostly material I hadn't heard him play before, except Stolen Moments, closing with a very extended original piece I sure would like to have on record. The second set he performed the hoary rock and other chestnuts he's known for--opening with a thirty minute version of Eleanor Rigby that was quite a wonder. He's stripped down his performance style--none of the playing two guitars at once with lots of effects--basically, it was just him playing a guitar, more like the first time I saw him years ago when his first recording on Blue Note came out. He seemed to really enjoy playing at the Granada, which has very good sound. There was a decent, though not overflowing crowd. I'm really looking forward to hearing Larry Coryell, Victor Bailey and Lenny White at the Granada in a couple of weeks.

Saw Acoustic Ladyland for 30 minutes at the Brick Lane Festival in London. I think it was just a fluke I found out about their performance, as the Brick Lane organisers just did not have their shit together and the website didn't have anything useful until a couple of days before the event.

But it was still a good time. I went down and had some street food (Indian and Bengali) and listened to the band. They played very loud and fast as expected. I don't think any piece lasted more than five minutes. I can't really explain why I don't mind their "schtick" but don't like the Bad Plus, but that's just how it is. I had to leave a bit early to make sure I caught the train home and didn't have to wait an hour for the next one.

Edited by ejp626

Last night, the Mingus Big Band at the Iridium, and they sounded great--players included Craig Handy, Abraham Burton, Jaleel Shaw, Wayne Escoffrey, Earl McEntire, Frank Lacy, Alex Spiagan, Sean Jones, George Colligan, and Boris Koslow. Songs performed included--Jump Monk, Meditations, Opus Four, Portrait, Open Letter to Duke, A Song with Orange, and Don't Let Them Drop That Atomic Bomb on Me..

However, the less than full house at the Iridium was a bit disappointing. Same as my last visit in May. I miss the overflowing, enthusiastic crowds at the Time Cafe.

The new reissue of Music Written for Monterey, Not Heard, was available at the show, and I picked up a copy.