Marion Brown

Late

Having read the Fred Jung interview, does anyone have knowledge of Marion Brown's current whereabouts, and whether and how anything can be done to help him?

Learned from a mutual friend that Marion Brown is much better now. He recently received a $5,000,000 compensation for the wrongful amputation of part of his leg.

Hope to be in touch with Marion directly soon!

Guy, keep us posted!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Learned from a mutual friend that Marion Brown is much better now. He recently received a $5,000,000 compensation for the wrongful amputation of part of his leg.

Wow, that's something else.

Is that Brown's first ESP album you're talking about Tony (or an entirely unreleased album)? I wonder if that 18 minute track will be an alternate take, or a new tune?

• 2 weeks later...

It's a heavy, heavy track and for some reason appeared with the wrong title "Exhibition," which was the Bennie Maupin piece that was supposed to be there.

Does anyone know the story behind Maupin being listed on that ESP, but not actually playing? I'm assuming that Maupin was there for a session, but that it was never released? His playing on the Hill Select has whetted my appetite ...

Here's the deal. He's on the first ESP LP as it was originally pressed, but for some reason when they did the ZYX CD, they replaced Maupin's track with an unreleased bit and kept the titles the same. Listening to the CD, it's obviously the Shorter tune and the band with Shorter (i.e. no Maupin), but I can't say for sure what's up other than they probably recorded with Maupin on a different day and that master was lost. Good to have both the orig. LP and the CD for that reason.

• 1 year later...

Marion Brown is such a beautiful player. I've been a fan ever since I stumbled across a Public Television broadcast of a concert of his one lonely New Year's Eve in College. I think it was the year all my friends went away to Europe to study, which puts it around 1981. Anyone familiar with this broadcast? It may have originated here in Boston.

An acquaintance of mine, Robert Fenz, made a movie that featured documentary footage of Marion Brown (which I haven't seen). Here's some information on it.

Robert Fenz: Meditations on Revolution V: Foreign City (Movie)

2003 (US) 16 mm, 32 minutes

Mr. Fenz's film is a cinematic poem that surveys the grimier neighborhoods of New York City, mostly at night, and goes on a subway ride to Harlem. The accumulated images and accompanying soundtrack of the city portray New York as a mysterious, alien place of ominous power and unending restlessness. At the center of the film is an autobiographical monologue by the aged artist and jazz musician Marion Brown, delivered in a voice that is at once proud and fatigued. His experiences and his music fuse with the urban imagery to create an intimate slow dance between art and the city in which they collapse into each other like weary partners at the end of a dance marathon. - Stephen Holden, The New York Times, October 18, 2003.

* The final film in Fenz's series "Meditations on Revolution." The film is dedicated to the director's father who immigrated to the United States in 1953 and passed away in 1999.

Source: HM, Film Society of Lincoln Center

Here's a link with a photo of Brown from the film:

http://www.harvardfilmarchive.org/calendar..._fall/fenz.html

If you scroll to the bottom of the page, you can see that Fenz has also worked with Leo Smith.

Edited by Kalo

'Juba Lee' that was released on the Fontana Label is one date that MUST be reissued. Great cast there: Alan Shorter, Grachan Moncur, Benny Maupin, Dave Burrell, Reggie Johnson and Beaver Harris.

It's been two years since that post and still nothing. :(

I like Marion's Impulse and ESP albums quite a lot and would buy a CD version of Juba Lee without thinking twice.

Edited by Kyo

I like Marion's Impulse and EPS albums quite a lot and would buy a CD version of Juba Lee without thinking twice.

You don't need to think once, there's copy here:

DMG

It's a CD-R but a perfect copy from the Japanese issued CD (I think). It comes with all the art work.

Edited by Head Man

I'm surprised/shocked :excited: ) that Downtown Music sells CDRs! Talk about illegal :tdown

This is the Real Thing!

fontana881012zy.jpg

Downtown used to be rather legitimate years ago :(

It may be the 'real thing' but it's virtually impossible to obtain in any other form than a CD-R. If it ever does gets re-released (I'm not holding my breath!), then I for one will buy it, but for now I'll continue listening to the CD-R.

It may be the 'real thing' but it's virtually impossible to obtain in any other form than a CD-R. If it ever does gets re-released (I'm not holding my breath!), then I for one will buy it, but for now I'll continue listening to the CD-R.

I have no problem with people listening to CDRs! I do that too!

What I am shocked at is seeing a reputed record store selling CDRs so blatantly!

Who owns the Fontana catalog these days???

It's funny but I was just thinking the same thing. I think it must be BMG but I seem to remember that some of the Fontana recordings have come out on Black Lion.

What a great reissue programme that would be. All the original Fontana recordings complete with Marte Roling sleeves. Perhaps someone in Japan might consider reissuing them again.

Who owns the Fontana catalog these days???

It's funny but I was just thinking the same thing. I think it must be BMG but I seem to remember that some of the Fontana recordings have come out on Black Lion.

What a great reissue programme that would be. All the original Fontana recordings complete with Marte Roling sleeves. Perhaps someone in Japan might consider reissuing them again.

Fontana was in the hands of Polygram which is part of the Universal empire now! Universal is doing good with its jazz reissues programs so there might be hope!

The Fontana catalog is superb, both the Roling series and some of their other jazz releases. They've been good on Tubby Hayes so hopefully things like the Brown, NYAQ and Jazz Realities will be commercially available again (not to mention Ric Colbeck!)... also, the pressings were spotty on the originals, so a CD treatment might do them some good.