Marion Brown

Late

What a great reissue programme that would be. All the original Fontana recordings complete with Marte Roling sleeves. Perhaps someone in Japan might consider reissuing them again.

That would be a great reissue program! I don't even know all the Fontanas that came with Roling covers, but I'd buy a box set ( :excited: ) in less than a second. Those that I've heard (that happen to ahve Roling covers) have been great.

I kind of doubt Universal (U.S.) will reissue these. Maybe Universal France, a la the Free America batch? Michael Cuscuna once told me (in passing, casual conversation via e-mail) that he'd like to do a Fontana Mosaic Select. I wouldn't necessarily get my hopes up, but that would great as well.

Let's see, Marte Roling did covers for Marion Brown, John Tchicai, Paul Bley, Albert Ayler ... who else? (Don Cherry?)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a great reissue programme that would be. All the original Fontana recordings complete with Marte Roling sleeves. Perhaps someone in Japan might consider reissuing them again.

That would be a great reissue program! I don't even know all the Fontanas that came with Roling covers, but I'd buy a box set ( :excited: ) in less than a second. Those that I've heard (that happen to ahve Roling covers) have been great.

I kind of doubt Universal (U.S.) will reissue these. Maybe Universal France, a la the Free America batch? Michael Cuscuna once told me (in passing, casual conversation via e-mail) that he'd like to do a Fontana Mosaic Select. I wouldn't necessarily get my hopes up, but that would great as well.

Let's see, Marte Roling did covers for Marion Brown, John Tchicai, Paul Bley, Albert Ayler ... who else? (Don Cherry?)

Late, I was thinking of Universal France of course and specifically of Daniel Richard who knows his jazz inside out!

As for Marte Roling covers, our friend Clifford took care of this:

Fontana Marte Roling Series

Edited to correct to the appropriate link!

Edited by brownie

Guest the mommy

downtown music gallery has a bunch of these fontanas.

are they from japanese CDs? i thought they were vinyl burns.

i have the brown-it's a good one. but i think it is from vinyl.

the production and packaging is ok on these sketchy DMG discs but it is lame they sell them for $15 a pop.

though i guess when i was in college, sketchy bootleg discs always cost more though they were generally low budget iffy affairs.

i really like the ted curson fontana date, as well as the tchicai/rudd one. not crazy about the paul bley or the carla bley ones. i was there today, actually, and almost bought the shepp/tchicai one ("rufus").

the artwork is very cool. i googled the artists a while back and didn't find too much else so i guess she didn't really pursue this kind of work much further....

Those covers cry out to be collected into a box set. Thanks for the link, Guy, and thanks to Clifford for putting the page together. How should we start a campaign?

Didn't even know about the Curson session. 1966? Sounds interesting. I've heard less than half of those recordings. :(

Late, I was thinking of Universal France of course and specifically of Daniel Richard who knows his jazz inside out!

As for Marte Roling covers, our friend Clifford took care of this:

Fontana Marte Roling Series

Edited to correct to the appropriate link!

Great Link! Thanks!

Sign me up for that box set if it ever materializes.

Those covers cry out to be collected into a box set. Thanks for the link, Guy, and thanks to Clifford for putting the page together. How should we start a campaign?

Didn't even know about the Curson session. 1966? Sounds interesting. I've heard less than half of those recordings. :(

I wouldn't know where to start, other than Alan Bates or his estate, for this stuff. Some has been kept in print via Black Lion; others saw CD and LP reissue in Japan in the '80s/'90s but I think those Japanese Fontana CDs are pretty scarce.

Urge is a stunning session - a bit looser than Tears for Dolphy, but excellent regardless. Ervin gets into some serious heel-digging shit.

• 11 months later...

From the Marion Brown on-line discography:

Marion Brown Septet: Juba-Lee

fontana881012zy.jpg

195j24_back.jpg

Fontana 881 012 ZY (NL)

Fontana SFON 7091 (J)

Fontana/Nippon Phonogram 195J-24 (J)

Fontana PHCE-1007 (J) (CD) [released 1990]

November 1966

New York City

512e12 [15:37] (Marion Brown)