Would you believe, between hopeless bouts with Greg and silly pixel tags with Heaney--all on a BBS far, far away--I have been updating, fattening and translating into less embarrassing English my 1972 biography of Bessie Smith. This edition has new material, an added chapter that deals with the aftermath of the book's original publication, and more illustrations.

Pardon me while I brag a bit, but the original edition was so well received that I am inclined to think that some reviewers went too far in their praise B):

• The Washington Post called it "A landmark in the writing of jazz history."

In The New Yorker, Whitney Balliett deemed it "The first estimable full-length biography not only of Bessie Smith but of any black musician."

Leonard Feather wrote in the Los Angeles Times: "The most devastating, provocative, and enlightening work of its kind ever contributed to the annals of jazz literature."

The publisher is Yale University Press, and if any of you should read it, I would greatly appreciate feedback--even if it's negative.

Edited by Christiern

Chris is actually being uncharacteristically modest. ;)

There's talk of his book being made into a feature film, although I think that a doc. would be easier to control, factually. I would love to have seen the real Bessie. This book will be the next best thing.

I love biographical books, particularly jazz-related ones so, of course I will be buying this one.

Edited by patricia

I plan on purchasing this also, although I don't buy books that often (outside of school purchases, that is). The last book I bought (non-University related) was the James Gavin bio on Chet Baker, back in the late summer of last year.

Any idea of when this might be released in Canadian stores, Chris? I checked the Chapter's/Indigo site and they have it for pre-order; they say it will be published in June.

BTW, I'll admit I'm totally unfamiliar with Bessie's music. Is the Columbia 2-CD set a good place (released in '97, I believe) for a 'newbie' to start?

I don't know about Canada, but it will be released simultaneously in the U.S. and UK, which should be this coming week

I don't know what is on the 2-CD set, but there were 160 released Bessie sides, and only a handful were less than good, so I'm sure this set will satisfy.

The Columbias have good sound quality, but I am told that the recent Frog (UK) releases--remastered by R. T. Davies--are even better. Lon should be able to address that.

Thanks Chris and J.A.W.

Chris, I figured you would know what was on the aforementioned set because I read on AMG that you wrote the liner notes. Probably just another AMG gaffe.

I'll be on the lookout at the major stores this week for the book. :tup

Edited by pryan

Chris, I figured you would know what was on the aforementioned set because I read on AMG that you wrote the liner notes. Probably just another AMG gaffe.

No, that was not another AMG gaffe, although they are plentiful (I think they have me producing a 1920s session). I just couldn't recall which selections that particular set contains and I was too lazy to look for it. I have now looked it up and I think it will serve well as an introduction to Bessie's recorded performances.

forgive me, but i was so used to seeing the bnbb signature as "chris albertson," i never made the connection that "christiern" WAS c.a. even with the bessie avatar, i was clueless. somehow, i had heard early on c.a. had landed at another board. nice to see you here chris, even if i didn't clue into the fact that you've been around quite a while.

congratualtions on the book revision. i'll be getting it as i've held off reading the original since i knew you were redoing it somewhat.

p.s.-saw your video interview again as i watched the mingus doc. "beneath the underdog" the other night. mingus always looks intimidating in that segment to me. :excited:

forgive me, but i was so used to seeing the bnbb signature as "chris albertson," i never made the connection that "christiern" WAS c.a. even with the bessie avatar, i was clueless. somehow, i had heard early on c.a. had landed at another board. nice to see you here chris, even if i didn't clue into the fact that you've been around quite a while.

congratualtions on the book revision. i'll be getting it as i've held off reading the original since i knew you were redoing it somewhat.

p.s.-saw your video interview again as i watched the mingus doc. "beneath the underdog" the other night. mingus always looks intimidating in that segment to me. :excited:

Christiern is the actual spelling of my first name. Yes, Mingus could be intimidating, but he was super congenial on the day we taped that show. I little difficult to interview. however. :)

i bet that was a real tough one to do, no matter what the mood. i mean, where do you even start! :D

i'd love to see the whole interview unedited someday(was that from a t.v. show?). that's the trouble with documentaries, they give you a little clip to tease you and then leave you wondering what the rest was like.

i'd love to see the whole interview unedited someday(was that from a t.v. show?). that's the trouble with documentaries, they give you a little clip to tease you and then leave you wondering what the rest was like.

It was taken from "The Jazz Set," (PBS) a weekly half-hour show that I co-produced and hosted in 1971. There is another fragment from that show in the Mingus documentary, the group playing--my show featured only a brief interview (there wasn't much more than you saw), the bulk of it was music. The set simulated a club (with audience) and, apparently, was so realistic that we used to get letters from people around the country asking for the address, because they were planning a visit to New York. We actually taped the shows in the Trenton, NJ studios of New Jersey Public Television.

Chris, I figured you would know what was on the aforementioned set because I read on AMG that you wrote the liner notes.  Probably just another AMG gaffe.

No, that was not another AMG gaffe, although they are plentiful (I think they have me producing a 1920s session). I just couldn't recall which selections that particular set contains and I was too lazy to look for it. I have now looked it up and I think it will serve well as an introduction to Bessie's recorded performances.

Thank you kindly, sir, I shall pick it up tommorow.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mnytime

Just to keep y'all up-to-date, the book party went well this (June 11) evening. Here are Dan Morgenstern and yours truly (we knew each other long before the gray hair):

I take it our invitations got lost in the mail. ;)

• 3 weeks later...