Irene Schweizer

AmirBagachelles

I think that there is a lot of variety there. There aren't many musicians of whom I know whose sound varies so much with their playing partners.

For my part, I think the Favre duo is my favourite for the reasons you mention above. As a drummer he is a bit heavier and more aggressive than the others and he pushes Schweitzer into a more Cecil Taylor-type zone, although always tempered with that late Romantic lyricism.

Sommer, for example, seems to bring out a more playful side that I enjoyed too but found perhaps a little less convincing.  

Edited by Rabshakeh

On 19.8.2020 at 6:58 PM, clifford_thornton said:

Ah -- I really need to dig these out again, as it's been many years (they're in storage like most of my CDs). The duos with Moholo, Sommer, and Cyrille stood out the most to me at the time. I recall being less into the one with Bennink. I should revisit the duo with Favre; they did another duo CD called Ulrichsberg somewhat later that's quite nice, as well as trio and quartet dates in the '60s that are wonderfully heavy.

Too bad she and Mani Neumeier didn't link up again for some duets (at least not that I know of)...

Actually Schweizer and Neumeier made a CD for the Japanese label Captain Trip in 1997 (but recorded in 1990). Some more info at Discogs.