Bill Dixon

Late

"Imagine the Sound" a DVD featuring interveiws and performances by Dixon (as well as Paul Bley, Archie Shepp and Cecil Taylor) will be available this year-- in stereo for the first time.

I'm pretty sure I've seen some of the doc, but only bits and pieces (is some of it on youtube?). Regardless, excellent news.

Intents and Purposes is one of those top-tier free dates that for whatever reason (availability, probably) never gets mention in the same breadth as your Ornettes, Taylors, Shepps, etc.

It was reissued once (in France, with a different cover), and has never been on CD. The original went pretty much straight to the cut-out bins; rarely do you see a copy without a clipped corner.

It is one of my top five jazz records, and may be my favorite "free" date.

Bought it when issued and never saw it as a cutout. I'd have bought 10 if that had happened.

Interesting... Dixon implied that it didn't sell and it wasn't long before RCA deleted it. Most of the copies I've seen since I started buying jazz LPs (in the '90s) have been cut-outs, but these are different times!

I'm sure it didn't sell many copies and it was deleted in about 2 years. Just wanted to point out I was in "big time record retail" at the time and never saw cut-outs of this title. Maybe all 300 went to your locality.

• 10 years later...