Coltrane Prestige box-VICJ version

I'm not sure if Kirk Felton has done the Coltrane box remastering (could be I just don't remember it so) but the remaster IS pretty good. I think that there are individual K2 remasters that are better sounding by a bit, but it's a matter of how you personally wish to deal with buying items for better sound potential.

If there is indeed a Japanese box set of the Coltrane material, and it were all K2 or digital K2 remastered (and not just a Japanese pressing of the US remastering), again it would be your personal feeling about buying items for better sound potential. . . .

I'm not sure if Kirk Felton has done the Coltrane box remastering (could be I just don't remember it so) but the remaster IS pretty good.

The US Prestige Coltrane box says:

Rerecorded to digital tape, reprocessed, and sequenced by Danny Kopelson. Digital remastering by Joe Tarrantino. Fantasy Studios (Berkeley, California) Spring and Summer, 1991.

Sound IS pretty good to these ears, too.

Edited by mikeweil

Guest ariceffron

JUST GET IT. YOU DONT NEED ANY OTHER COLTRANE IF U BUY THE PRESTIGE BOX. I KNOW THIS SOUNDS HARD AND MAYBE ITS A LITTLE OVERDONE BUT YOU CAN WRITE OFF ALL IMPULSE TRANE IF U BUY THE PRESTIGE BOX

Does anybody know how the sound compares for the Fantasy version and the VICJ version of the Coltrane Prestige box set? Are the likely improvements in the remastering on the Japanese version worth an extra 9-10,000 yen?

Thanks,

Anthony.

Could someone provide link(s) for each of these sets to a site(s) where they are for sale. Thanks.

JUST GET IT. YOU DONT NEED ANY OTHER COLTRANE IF U BUY THE PRESTIGE BOX. I KNOW THIS SOUNDS HARD AND MAYBE ITS A LITTLE OVERDONE BUT YOU CAN WRITE OFF ALL IMPULSE TRANE IF U BUY THE PRESTIGE BOX

Wow. Don't get me wrong... I love the Prestige sides, but no Impulse? No Atlantic? You need 'em all IMO to hear the progression of an amazing voice. Living with just the Prestige sides would be like stopping at Miles' first quintet and ignoring the 2nd and 3rd! Waaaayyyyy too much to be missed.

I can't understand you seriously comment on something Aric writes.......

The Japanese box is K2 remastered in Japan. Since there are a few sessions which didn't come out individualy in Japan as K2 remasters I've been thinking of getting this box (but didn't).

95% is out as Japanese cd remastered K2 or even Digitally K2.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Still undecided but leaning more towards the Fantasy version for economic reasons. However if I happen to see the VICJ in a shop somewhere I may pick it up (am a big fan of the K2s)

Could someone provide link(s) for each of these sets to a site(s) where they are for sale.  Thanks.

Fantasy

VICJ (but Im not sure they ship outside Japan)