Here are my candidates:

Bobby Hutcherson: Oblique, Patterns, Happenings

Jackie McLean: 'Bout Soul

Lee Morgan: The Gigolo

Hank Mobley: A Slice of the Top

Grant Green: Sunday Mornin'

Johnny Griffin: The Congregation

Andrew Hill: Judgment, Smokestack

If Jimmy Smith is up for reissue, how about some stuff that hasn't been out on US BN CD before - Plays Pretty, Plays Fats Waller, how about Lonesome Road, or the Trio with Lou Donaldson, where Smith plays piano on one track? Agree with Baby Grand, too, particularly if some additional stuff could be put on it.

Mike

I love the Plays Fats Waller record. So you won't hear a complaint from me. A high point in Rudy's engineering career in my opinion.

As for King Ubu's comment: As I remember, the compact disc available in the States combines both sessions and has the cover I included earlier not the one used on the Open House LP. I have that and agree it's perfectly reasonable.

As for King Ubu's comment: As I remember, the compact disc available in the States combines both sessions and has the cover I included earlier not the one used on the Open House LP. I have that and agree it's perfectly reasonable.

Ubu's cover is correct. This is the BN cd for the combined lps. The cover you posted is the dreaded Applause item.

Personally, I feel it's high time for more late forties - early fifties stuff ... Art Hodes would be fantastic!

Agreed. I'd like to see some emphasis on this part of the Blue Note catalog as well ... but, unfortunately, I don't really see it happening in the RVG series. But if some of these earlier sessions were in the RVG series, they'd get a lot more attention!

Cuscuna, now some time ago, let me know in a letter that The Big Beat and Here to Stay were likely RVG candidates for future reissue. When I suggested the "complete" Elmo Hope Blue Note sessions, he also responded positively (if not definitively).

To my ears, the latest batch of RVG's were sonically very subpar, enough so that I've cooled on this series a fair bit. With the new 24-bit TOCJ's at 1500Â¥, my attention is overseas ... That, and I'm finally getting over a four-year bout with upgrade-itis.