Art Ensemble of Chicago

sal

great timing for this thread for me. I have just started exploring this group. I got their ECM rarum, and while I know it isn't exactly representative of their work, I really really enjoy it. My goodness I never realized a bass could sound that good. and Lester Bowie has some of the best sounding trumpet I have ever heard. I need to know, where next? I will be getting the 67/68 box from Chuck after Christmas, but what else? I was thinking Nice Guys

Chuck, have you ever heard the studio album Go Home, that was recorded in 1970?  That is another nice, very obscure, AEC date.

Yes, Roscoe played the lp for me when they returned (from Europe), I received a cassette, and now own a copy of the boot cd.

edit to insert "from europe".

Edited by Chuck Nessa

I need to know, where next? I will be getting the 67/68 box from Chuck after Christmas, but what else? I was thinking Nice Guys

I asked the same question not too long ago and the answers I got are all excellent:

Pathe Sessions (Les Stances de Sophie / People in Sorrow)

Fanfare for the Warriors

Bap-Tizum

Reese and the Smooth Ones

start with those.

Here is the thread I started, which has quite a few recommendations.

Edited by John B

I am by no means an expert on this group, but the one I have been the most impressed with so far has been People In Sorrow. That just blew me away from the first listen. I have it on LP, so I can't comment on the CD with Les Stances.... THis is one where I think I will prefer it on CD once I get it. There is such great use of silence or "space" and this is one where the LP medium has definite drawbacks for me as my copy is just in OK shape. If I remember correctly, there was discussion about this CD in an earlier thread and there are two editions of the same material, but one was said to have better sound.

Have you heard this one?

urban.jpg

Men on a mission.

buy%20now.gif

This one is good, if not the best AEoC, IMO. Lester is not playing that much here. unfortunately.

For the new Pi one, I will porbably skip it. The previous one The Meeting was quite weak, and this new one is from the same session, so it's hard to expect it would be much better.

As a reminder, three AEoC AMerica recordings (Phase One, With Fontella Bass and Certain Blacks) wil be reisues by EmArcy France in a couple of weeks:

B00008PBVN.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00008ZPCI.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00008S7JX.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Edited by Д.Д.

• 3 months later...

Anyone else heard Sirius Calling?

Yep, I got it today and I think it's great (after two listenings). It is definitely quieter than some of the others that I've heard, but the sound quality is as good as or better than the ECM discs, and I really like the different sized groupings for each tune. I'll be listening to this one a lot in the near future. By the way, what is a "percussion cage"? Roscoe is credited with playing it.

Edited by GregK

Anyone else heard Sirius Calling?

Been revisiting it the last few days, and am enjoying it very much. As others have noted, perhaps not a "starting point", but like anything else, knowing what came before gives this one a high element of "mature" satisfaction. Nothing particulaly "new", just further refinements and nuances.

Still, I miss the hell outta Lester Bowie, and not just in this band...