duke pearson

Soul Stream

As this board's Shawn has pointed out, there are any number of mid- to late period Blue Notes for which Pearson probably supplied uncredited arrangements. Records like IDLE MOMENTS and Lee Morgan's CHARISMA being a probable cases in point.

• 6 years later...

I've become more and more of a Duke Pearson fan as of late. Got a 45 of "sweet honey bee" backed with "ready rudy." both are great. also, picked up "and i don't care who knows it" and love it too. the mosaic is just perfect timing for me.

however, he seems almost lost in the bn crowd so to speak. can anybody add their thoughts about duke pearson?

Yes I can add my thoughts.Duke Pearson was my uncle and took me almost everywhere with him.You are right he has been lost in the crowd.He is alawys mentioned is such small ways.He should have his rightful place in the jazz history of Blue Note.Im so upset that he is never given credit where credit is due. Although he did many great things during his tenure at Blue Note.He arranged,produced,compose, as well as played on many great blue noete sessions.He help guide the careers of up and coming artist.Some of whom we still know and hear of today.Had it not been for him being able to have a good ear of what sounded good.Then most of those memorable sessions on Blue Note would not have happend.Its time for him to have and get his props ! If you like Sweet Honey Bee and I dont Care who Knows It.Then Im quite sure you will love How Insensetive,Now Hear This and The Right Touch.Some latin sounds,bigband and small group sessions are all on these three.Check them out and know that you will enjoy some great sounds from my favorite jazz pianist.

I'm looking forward to the Mosaic Select to round out my Pearson material. I can't say that he's my favorite BN artist, but I do enjoy his work. He does seem to get overlooked, doesn't he?

Yes its a shame he does not get more credit where credit is due.He is always mentioned in such a small way in the Blue Not History books.Duke Pearson and Ike Quebeck did a lot for Blue Note.They either wrote,arranged,composed,produced as well as having a good eye and ear.But to me it seems that Duke Pearson should get and have his props.Come on Michael Cuscuna/Mosaic.Dont you think its about time to give Duke Pearson his just due !

Any feedback on 'Profile' and 'Tender feelings' (both JRVGs, I think)? Can anybody help? 'The Right Touch' is an amazing album :wub:

Duke Pearsons Profile is wonderful.So is Tender Feeelings.Profile is with heavy hitters like James Spaulding,Freddie Hubbard.Both are worth checking out.

Isn't Profile a trio recording?

• 10 years later...

When I browsed through the (now gone) mass of Frank Wolff photos at the Mosaic site, I noticed that there were several photos of Duke Pearson from well-known sessions by other artists ('Maiden Voyage', 'Speak No Evil' and others). This was from the times when Alfred Lion still did the producing, and Pearson is not credited on these albums, so what would his role have been at the sessions? 

Maybe this is explained in one of the many Blue Note books I've yet to read. 

15 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Maybe this is explained in one of the many Blue Note books I've yet to read. 

What is the best BN book for actually telling the story through the 1970's?  I have the big one with lots of pictures and the two of album covers.

38 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

I don't think any book about a record label is going to cover everything rivet counters like ourselves want... be it BN, Impulse, ESP, or whatever. At the end of the day a sellable volume won't be complete.

Understood.  The one exception for me was the Ashley Kahn book on Impulse Records.  I also quite liked his book on "A Kind of Blue" and have been meaning to read his book on "A Love Supreme".

The House That Trane Built: The Story of Impulse Records - Kindle edition  by Kahn, Ashley. Arts & Photography Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

I like everything I have heard by Duke: performances and arrangements for others. He got particularly interesting toward the end of the 60s, His last Blue Note, "Só Tinha de Ser Com Você", is a very nice set and has not been widely available on CD. I found a Japanese version.

I don't agree that "Little Johnny C" was a Pearson album. (One of my first Blue Note LPs.) Johnny Coles was an excellent trumpeter and Blue Note decided to give him a session. Apparently, Johnny didn't want to do the arrangements, or was unable to do so, so Duke was given the job. And a fine job it was. When I first heard the LP, I took it for what it was: a Coles album. Actually, I bouight it because I spotted that Joe Henderson was on it. And he contributed "Hobo Joe", which was included in the recent Henderson Mosaic set.