duke pearson

Soul Stream

I've become more and more of a Duke Pearson fan as of late. Got a 45 of "sweet honey bee" backed with "ready rudy." both are great. also, picked up "and i don't care who knows it" and love it too. the mosaic is just perfect timing for me.

however, he seems almost lost in the bn crowd so to speak. can anybody add their thoughts about duke pearson?

Beautiful arrangements. Lush, nice textures, excellent instrumentation.

Just a few great sessions under other people which he arranged:

Lush Life - Lou Donaldson

A Slice of the Top - Hank Mobley ( I think )

The Spoiler - Stanley Turrentine

I'm very curious about what will be included in the Pearson MS.

Edited by Templejazz

I really like Duke Pearson, he was a very important part of the last years of the sort of original company, and I really dig his playing, and his writing of compositions and arrangements, and his production as well (when I can isolate elements that I think are his production).

The problem that has been prevalent for a long time is that a lot of his work as a leader was not in print or went out of print quickly, and "Duke Pearson doesn't sell." The Mosaic Select will be a big fix for many of us. I really like two of the projected albums, "The Phantom" and "How Insensitive." It will be good to see them come into print! Also the two trio albums that appeared as JRVGs are great showcases of his wonderful touch and swing on the keys.

I'm a big time fan of the two big band albums on Blue Note - 'Introducing Duke Pearson's Big Band' and 'Now Hear This !'. Both very nice sessions, conventional big band material but with an adventurous edge with inclusion of material by the likes of Chick Corea. Also the cream of the NY session players at the time, many of who also participated in the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra. One over-riding impression of Duke from these sessions is - GREAT TASTE ! They are also very listenable and 'user friendly' recordings. Again, characteristics of most of Duke's material.

Other larger group material to check out is on the very fine Blue Mitchell Mosaic set and for excellent mid-sized group sounds check out 'Wahoo' and 'The Right Touch' (both under Duke's name) and 'Little Johnny C'. The latter was put out under Johnny Coles' name but is effectively a Duke Pearson session with all of the virtues that this entails ...

:rsmile:

Edited by sidewinder

I love Duke Pearson.

Favorites are "Right Touch," "Sweet Honey Bee," "Dedication," "Wahoo," "Prairie Dog."

As someone else mentioned, he was primarily responsible for "Little Johnny C." And I would also add that he was probably the genius behind Grant Green's "Idle Moments," and Hutcherson's "The Kicker."

He held the torch during Blue Note's fading later years. A great and highly underappreciated musician in my humble opinion.

There's always a good vibe and warmth about his recordings - which draws the listener in. I suspect that this reflects the character of the man himself, from opinions I've heard from those who worked with him.

Very, very honourable mention also for his work on Hank Mobley's 'A Slice of the Top'. Duke did the arrangements whilst Mobley was in jail I believe, from sketch arrangements supplied. The results were predictably excellent.

:rhappy:

Quick, where's Dan?? ;)

Just came back - a day or so too late it seems!

My first acquaintance with Duke Pearson was in fact when a friend was playing the title cut from 'Sweet Honey Bee' for me many years ago. The tune was catchy enough to stay in my mind for very long, but it wasn't until a few years later I really became interested in Pearson, both as a pianist and as an arranger and behind-the-scenes figure at Blue Note.

What I've found so appealing with his recordings is the "good vibe and warmth", as expressed by sidewinder, as well as his fine sense of form and good taste. I think it's always clear that he felt for the music he created - he never tried to show off. Time-locked as some of his experiments are - the cuts with a chorus on 'How Insensitive' is perhaps one example - they always come out as something very honest.

The reason he will never be a household name is the lack of pyrotechnics which would impress someone not really listening what's going on. Duke's music never demanded attention, it was always inviting in a friendly manner, and once you've entered his musical world you'll always feel at home there!

Duke Pearson was just a great all-around musician, and I totally agree with the comments about his music exuding a warmth and good humor. I can't wait for the Mosaic Select either. I am personally glad they are planning to focus on later dates (I have all the earlier stuff, although for much of it, it'd be nice to have updated remasterings). What I have of the later BN's, I really enjoy - particularly I DON'T CARE WHO KNOWS IT, which has some outstanding music. Duke was way ahead of the pack in creating an organic mixture of rock, funk, bossa nova, and other "world" music sounds that still bore his individual stamp (as opposed to sounding like he was just trying to ride trends), and he even had a signature sound on electric piano. Bring on those more obscure titles!

Let's also not forget the major role Pearson played on Donald Byrd's THE CAT WALK. What a great session, perhaps Byrd's best on BN and maybe one of the quintessential BN dates, period. Pearson left his mark all over it with his classy writing and arrangements and distinctive pianistic touches.

Edited by DrJ

I'm a big time fan of the two big band albums on Blue Note - Also the cream of the NY session players at the time, many of who also participated in the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra.

Actually Duke was the pianist in the Quintet Thad Jones and Mel Lewis led just before they started the big band; maybe Pearson was its first pianist?

f36813w60jy.jpg

I consider Duke Pearson to be one of the exponents of the lyrical piano school in jazz, in the line of Teddy Wilson, Hank Jones and John Lewis, he had a beautiful touch. I also dig his Fender Rhodes playing, and he had a great affinity for excellent bossa nova playing. I will order that Mosaic select for sure and hope they will at last arrange all that stuff in session order .... :excited:

Let's discuss that for a bit here.

Many of you are salivating over the upcoming Duke Pearson Mosaic, which will focus on Duke's later stuff. AMG does not rate these sessions very highly, not that they represent the word of God, but apparently, there are some potentially cheezy vocals on some of the sessions. I don't recall which. Perhaps "Phantom," or "Merry ol Soul."

What do you guys think about all this? Has anyone heard these later sessions, and can you give your opinion on them?

I really like these sessions. The vocals are on neither of those you mention, but on "How Insensitive." They are not like the vocals on "Life Every Voice!" But I like them. But then I'm different! :huh: The Brazilian inspired items on this (and on other Pearson sessions) I find among the best of these years of Blue Note's history.

And the Xmas album is my favorite Xmas album.

Connoisseur, if you're looking for hard bop, you won't like the later Duke Pearson BN material. See my first post in this thread for how I'd describe the music. That might excite you or repel you! I have a CD-R of MERRY OLE SOUL and it's really about the most unique album of jazzy holiday music I've ever heard. HOW INSENSITIVE tends toward lightness but it's still a good one. I DON'T CARE WHO KNOWS IT as I said before is superb. The rest I await hearing eagerly.

In honesty, there are certainly a couple of numbers that just don't work in the later stuff I've heard, and the vocals are in fact kind of an acquired taste, but I give the man credit for reaching and trying something new rather than making SWEETER HONEY BEE, SWEETEST HONEY BEE, etc. And after a few listens with an open mind, this stuff has its own internal logic, it's really unique and also damn enjoyable. "Subversive" might be the best word, but not in an in-your-face, Cecil Taylor (seemed an apt comparison based on that earlier post!) kind of way, more in the "you think this is Muzak but it'll get inside your head and then one day, maybe several months from now, hit you and quietly 'f' you up" sense.

Hmm, very encouraging reports so far.

I do have "I Don't care who knows it." Would you guys compare the other stuff (Merry Ol Soul, Phantom, How Insensitive) to "I Don't Care who knows it?" Are they similar.

My personal take on "I Don't Care" is that it is okay. Not terrific in any way, but not bad.

I really like the Brazillian rhythms on "The Right Touch." Now that's a terrific session in my opinion.

Hi!

i´m also expecting his Mosaic Select anxiously!!

my favorite album so far from Pearson is Wahoo and i love a particular song of this album, Bedouin. i also enjoyed a lot the Introducing one and Bedouin is there too.

i have a lot of respect for him too when he replaced Ike after his death.

peace

Marcus Oliveira

• 1 year later...

As a straight-up player, yeah, good, not great.

But a very adept arranger, producer, etc. Not an innovator or anything, but his arrangements did have a distinct flavor to them, and his production work in the last days of the "real" BN are not unworthy. And a composer of catchy-yet-meaty tunes as well.

If you follow baseball, you minght know what I mean when I say that he reminds me of Mark McLemore - no superstar numbers or anything, but winning follows him wherever he goes. I don't think that's accidental.

Guest ariceffron

what dou u mean whats my take? duke pearson as far as im concerned is

Duke **#1** in jazz. his musicanship is great but in addition he was one of the most best songwriters of the postbop period. but besides all that it was DP who kept Blue Note together-- w/ his pr position and his arranging. duke pearson is by all means in my top 10 favorite jazz musicans