Larry Kart book signing

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to get to other cities -- New York, D.C., Boston, the San Francisco area, etc. -- but illness in the family (my 92-year-old father) may make it impossible for me to get away from home base for a good while. I'm trying to think my way through this though, aware that emotional inertia/stress plus ignorance of how to go about things in the promotional realm may be contributing to my sense that my feet are pretty much nailed to the ground right now.

I'm enjoying your book quite a bit. Just read your two items on Hank Mobley -- I'm going to have another listen to some of his recordings with your comments in mind.

There's a lot to think about throughout the book.

Maybe you could get Fresh Air interested? Terry Gross enjoys jazz...

Thanks, Alankin -- I like those Mobley pieces. For me, listening to Hank is always an on-the-edge experience. The surprises never stop being surprises, even when it's a solo you've almost memorized. That's a rare thing, I think.

Terry Gross also enjoys jazz critics. As you probably know, she's married to Francis Davis. I asked the publisher sent a copies of the book to Davis and to Gross's producer. I have my fingers crossed.

I'd like to get to other cities -- New York, D.C., Boston, the San Francisco area, etc. -- but illness in the family (my 92-year-old father) may make it impossible for me to get away from home base for a good while.

I'm sorry to hear this. I'll keep my fingers crossed about you appearing on Fresh Air. Meanwhile, I've requested several libraries to purchase your book.

Hi Ghost -- Met your brother. Signing went well, or at least that's what they told me -- sold about 10 or 12 copies, which they said was good (at least on a lousy weather day). Most important for me, it was pleasant in simple human terms -- someone nice to talk to as long as it lasted (about 2 1/2 hours), including two older gents who hadn't come for the signing but bought copies of the book after leafing through it. One of them turned out to have moved three weeks ago from Chicago to Whitehall, Mi., where Chuck and Ann live. This guy, in his mid-70s it seemed, had some great stories about gigs at South Side Chicago clubs like the Crown Propeller Lounge, including one where both Jimmy Smith and Jack McDuff were on the bill, and they played at each other for part of the evening from opposite sides of the room.

One of them turned out to have moved three weeks ago from Chicago to Whitehall, Mi., where Chuck and Ann live. This guy, in his mid-70s it seemed, had some great stories about gigs at South Side Chicago clubs like the Crown Propeller Lounge, including one where both Jimmy Smith and Jack McDuff were on the bill, and they played at each other for part of the evening from opposite sides of the room.

Larry, after you emailed me about this I looked up the address and ran a map program on the computer. They seem to live 448 yards from our house.