Amos Milburn Mosaic

Leeway

I know nothing about this Mosaic, or about Amos Milburn for that matter. I don't think I've seen this Mosaic discussed. In fact, I only noticed it existed today when I spotted a listing for it in the Acoustic Sounds catalog.

Anyone have this set? How would you describe it, evaluate it?

Amos Milburn Mosaic

Edited by Leeway

Agree with what Lon said. The box is amazing but you should try some samples to find out how far you will go with this type of recordings.

I grew up with some of that music after being introduced to it by friends who loved the stuff and had 45s shipped from the States in the late '50s.

The Mosaic box has to be taken in not too large doses but this is music that grows on you. I love it!

All of the above - and it is a helluva lot of 12 bar blues in one setting, but the Mosaic set is the only place you're going to get that New Orleans session with Earl Palmer, Lee Allen, etc.

Get the set and take it in small doses as per the above advise. That's the way it was intended - these were 78 rpm releases.

Amos had a big hit with Chicken Shack Boogie and Alladin used that piece as a model for a LOT of tunes that followed. That being said...they all smoked...and this set should be as appealing to fans of R&B Tenor as well as R&B piano.

I think it's obvious that Jerry Lee Lewis dug a lot of Amos Milburn and for anybody that's been digging a somewhat (shouldn't be) obscure "name" - Andre' Williams with his Greasy Chicken is also obvious.

Amos Milburn (1927-1980) was one of the exponents of 1940s/1950s Texas/West Coast Rhythm & Blues. This set, which contains Milburn's 1946-1956 Aladdin recordings, is one of the better Mosaic sets in my opinion, with good sound, but, like Lon and Brownie indicated, it has to be taken in not too large doses.

I think noone else did more tunes refering to beverages:

Bad Bad Whiskey

Good Good Whiskey

Milk and Water

One Scotch, One Bourbon, One Beer

Just One More Drink

This is good music for fun, and should be taken as such. I collected a lot of R & B for a while, grew somewhat tired of it and sold two thirds of it, but Milburn was among those I kept.

Anyone have details on that 3-CD comp?

Edited by mikeweil

I think noone else did more tunes refering to beverages:

Bad Bad Whiskey

Good Good Whiskey

Milk and Water

One Scotch, One Bourbon, One Beer

Just One More Drink

This is good music for fun, and should be taken as such. I collected a lot of R & B for a while, grew somewhat tired of it and sold two thirds of it, but Milburn was among those I kept.

Anyone have details on that 3-CD comp?

You can get a track listing here:

My Webpage

It's a good set - a distillation of the mosaic (although I think it was out before the mosiac). All Aladdin material.

Re the Motown set: good stuff. I have a Motown lp. I believe there are tracks on that that are not on the CD set.. Wish I could be more specific , but I haven't listened in awhile.

• 5 years later...

Bumping up this old thread... found a new copy of this, discs still sealed, popped it open yesterday, after the postman brought it, and am playing disc 2 by now. Very nice!

I wonder, who might this guitar player (or these guitar players) on the early session (A to I) be? The only identified band member there is Maxwell Davis (ts and Milburn's main partner in crime for many years).

Are there any educated guesses to be found about the guitar player(s) anywhere? There's lots of good playing to be heard!

Also, I assume that Willie Smith turning up on tenor on later sessions (alongside Don Wilkerson!), he isn't the alto player famous from Lunceford, Ellington, Harry James etc?

Hm, on one of the early sessions (1947-10-27 to be exact), it says "poss. Gene Phillips", and it's him on the 1949-02-28 date. Then Chuck Norris (1949-07-13), then Johnny Brown (1949-1950), Gene Phillips again (1950-05-18), Norris again (1950-09-21), then another unknown band (1951-04-18), then Wayne Bennett or Johnny Moore, respectively (1952), Mickey Baker or Tom Mitchell or Norris or Jack Marshall, respectively (1954), and for the final sessions (1955-57) there are Harold Grant, Irving Ashby, Tiny Mitchell, Justin Adams, Al Hendrickson and Bob Bain.

The sessions with no line-ups are from 1946-48 (plus the one 1951 one mentioned already).

• 9 years later...
3 hours ago, Late said:

91I-VD5sIKL._SS500_.jpg

A member here (in this thread!) kindly steered me in the direction of this fine single-disc compilation, which is exactly what I was looking for. Sound is very good. The music is blowing me away. Much recommended! :tup

I'm fascinated by the origins of Down the Road Apiece. 

Edited by medjuck