----"IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT..."

Guest ariceffron

Guest ariceffron

DOOBIE BROS., THE.

LIVIN' ON THE FAULT LINE

-------

THIS RECORD IS THE CHIEF BLUEPRINT FOR MODERN R&b/SMOOTH JAZZ FOR THE 80S AND 90S. BUT THATS NOT TO DISCREDIT ITS SOUND. ITS ONE OF THE BEST MOST SOULFUL RELEASES FROM THE LATE 70S PERIOD. GOOD FOR ROCK FANS BUT ESPICALLY IF U LIKE JAZZ.

Guest ariceffron

OH I FORGOT TO ADD- PLEASE FEEL FREE TO DISCUSS---

ILL START:

WHAT DO U THINK ABOUT THE DISTINCT MELTING OF BOODISAVA + dO IT AGAIN NEAR THE END OF SIDE 2. MICAHEL MICDONALD REALLY STAYS TRUE TO THE SD SPIRIT

As an old Doobies fan, let me chime in here for a second.

Livin' on the Fault Line is certainly one of the more controversial Doobies albums, maybe even the Doobies' most difficult one. Many people didn't get it, and those who were looking for the old Doobies sound (Tom Johnston), were hugely disappointed.

I have to agree with Aric, somewhat. This album has so much going for it that it is one of the few I still pull out once in a while (the Doobies bug doesn't bite me much anymore nowadays). It's jazzy, it's VERY soulful and it's got some very stylish stuff .... but that is clearly Steely Dan's influence, which you can hear right and left. The sound is also top-notch, by the way.

Michael McDonald took the Doobies down a very different road, but I think on Livin' you can clearly hear that he didn't really know himself what he wanted and where the road was supposed to lead to (I think that is the one reason that prevented Michael McDonald from becoming more successful ... also his solo career shows that he turned first that way, then the other, and then a third one, confusing everyone as he went along). Livin' is a hodgepodge of styles and sounds at times, and that might also be its biggest problem for the casual listener.

I like this album very much, and it's even got one of my all-time favourite solos (the harmonica on "There's a Light", played by Norton Buffalo) ... don't laugh.

Excellent album for people who like their stuff a bit more varied and interesting. And yes, in my collection of several thousand CDs, I would consider this one to be one of the cornerstones.

Cheers!

P.S.:

[...] but i have to admit, i have NEVER, EVER listened to that side, at least knowingly. even as a goof, noone in any record store i've ever worked at or been in played it either.

Surprises me. In Europe and in the shops I frequented, they played this one up and down. But maybe I just went to the wrong shops and listened to the wrong stations? Who knows.

Edited by deus62

Aric's on to someting, I think. The McDonald-era Doobies (which actually began w/TAKIN' IT TO THE STREETS and reached full maturity on MINUTE BY MINUTE, so I'm not sure that this one is THE album...) very much played into the whole L.A. rock/soul/jazz/studio/session players mix that was going on at the time. Besides them and Steely Dan (and too many others to mention), Joni Mitchell ca. MILES OF ISLES was perhaps the actual precursor/precipitator of all this stuff. Joni got over/through it and took it to the next phase before everybody else got hip to the trip.

Viewed in this light, those very early 70s Crusaders albums, all of them L.A.-based and all of them bearing musical elements that would dissemenate/reverberate throught this whole scene, bear reconsideration for their imapct on pop as well as funk-jazz. This is an element in the mix that I think has gone under-recognized, if it's been recognized at all.

Yo Clem - have YOU seen the BB episode of "Full House"?

No Brian, and not as surreal as the DB "What's Happening" (not too much could be), but every bit as tragicomic. :g:g:g

And fwiw, I think you gotta look at Skunk Baxter's role in all this. "Old Doobies" fans tend to hate/blame McDonald, but Baxter was more than able to go into the "smooth-jazzy-pop" thing, and probably more than willing as well. He's a guy who turns up in a lot of places in that bag in those days.

Edited by JSngry

Guest ariceffron

I DO NOT KNOW WHAT 'WHATS HAPPENEING' IS. PLEASE EXPLAIN. AND YES IVE SEEN THE BEACH BOYS EPISODE OF FULL HOUSE. UNCLE JESSE WAS THEIR BACKUP PERCUSSIONIST IN THE LATE 80S/EARLY 90S AND THATS WHY THEY WERE ON

DOOBIE BROS., THE.

LIVIN' ON THE FAULT LINE

-------

THIS RECORD IS THE CHIEF BLUEPRINT FOR MODERN R&b/SMOOTH JAZZ FOR THE 80S AND 90S. BUT THATS NOT TO DISCREDIT ITS SOUND. ITS ONE OF THE BEST MOST SOULFUL RELEASES FROM THE LATE 70S PERIOD. GOOD FOR ROCK FANS BUT ESPICALLY IF U LIKE JAZZ.

No mention of Stevie Wonder here yet? I guess we can draw some lines between "modern R&B" and "smooth jazz", but I'd say Stevie (especially his mid-70's-ish singing style) is (unfortunately) at the root of much of it.

This came up in that Ernie Watts thread, but I STILL wonder who got David Sanborn, Grover W, et al, going.

BTW, I had dumped the Doobies well before the aforementioned album came out. I don't even remember the album sequence now... no longer important to me...

Ah yes, now I remember... (found this googlin'):

THE REDCOATS ARE COMING (episode #113) - A pair of British rock stars stay at Rob's house to avoid being mobbed by their fans. (Chad and Jeremy guest star.)

Those guys were also on Batman, and Laredo.

I have got to get The Dick van Dyke Show on DVD.

Did any pop/rock acts ever blow through an episode of The Brady Bunch? David Cassidy, maybe? On a non-musical note, I certainly remember Vincent Price's stint during the three-part Hawaiian saga.

Damn, though, I missed the Doobies on What's Happening. Time to get TVLand, I guess...

just in case you didn't believe me, in a 1968 episode entitled monkees blow their minds, zappa appears as "mike" and mike nesmith as "frank." this scenario recalled a similar role reversal in the monkees 1967 movie head.

from head

zappanez.jpg

Didn't Zappa have Ringo Starr as Zappa in 200 Motels?

Did any pop/rock acts ever blow through an episode of The Brady Bunch?  David Cassidy, maybe?

You don't remember when Marcia had a crush on Davey Jones?

That's it! We are the same age, aren't we, Dan? ^_^ I remember sitting at a table in a pizza place with some other kids back in the early 1980s--it was some kind of summer high school journalism conference--and we realized that we could all find a common cultural rapport by reciting various episodes of The Brady Bunch. (This was long before the whole Chicago theater scene obsession w/TBBunch.) Weird, but true.