Night of the Cookers

Brad

And hey, in a group along with James Spaulding and Pete LaRoca it's not so bad to be the weakest link.......

Mike

I never said he was wrong, just wondered in the back of my mind why someone would bother to say such a thing. I usually am the weak link on these things (though I think I do bring other things to the table like making the gig happen in the first place, writing arrangements and picking material etc, etc) and I wouldn't have it any other way. Nothing like being challenged by some of the best musicians out here.

Yes, David...I agree this is lame. As a musician myself, I notice that there are certain people that can't wait to tell you how "bad" you are. No matter how good you are. Those that can do, and the rest bitch. :g

Good luck with your arm. Always a musician's worst nightmare no doubt.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Making music happen, happens on so many different levels. In my band we all have are differential strengths and weakness. Some are technically better, some have feel as their defining strength, and others keep the musically energy happening. Maybe on a given facet, any single member could be considered the weak link, though, I do get tired of people reducing music to sports terms.

In other words, and in particular, on the facet of art, competition is silly. It is contribution to the whole that should matter most.

I've played with more experienced musicians and learned from it. And vice versa.

Of course, with regards to my experiences with more technically developed or experienced players, I've smoked (ooopps sports term) some of them with my energy, excitement, and vibe. And they played better because of it. In short, the contributions come in all forms.

Finally, we all get to a certain point where we do something best. Unique traits and energy are what separate the artists from the technicians. I believe that I can learn from just about anybody. And when someone compliments my playing I try to remember what it was like to be on that side of the stage.

For me, it is hunger and humility.

And hey, in a group along with James Spaulding and Pete LaRoca it's not so bad to be the weakest link.......

Mike

I never said he was wrong, just wondered in the back of my mind why someone would bother to say such a thing. I usually am the weak link on these things (though I think I do bring other things to the table like making the gig happen in the first place, writing arrangements and picking material etc, etc) and I wouldn't have it any other way. Nothing like being challenged by some of the best musicians out here.

Yes, David...I agree this is lame. As a musician myself, I notice that there are certain people that can't wait to tell you how "bad" you are. No matter how good you are. Those that can do, and the rest bitch. :g

Don't blame Mike for that comment, it came from me.

It's just one man's opinion and review. I saw the band at the Rochester Festival this Summer and commented on another post here. The band is one of soloists playing older material and I enjoyed Spauldings' solos very much. I applaud David's organizational talents in getting this group together and finding work; I know it isn't easy and nothing aganist him personaly. As I said in that post of this Summer, what irked me most was Jermy Pelt's apeing of Freddie Hubbard; both his musical style and personal mannerisims, and the sound of LaRoca's cymbals in the hall.

What I meant, as far as David's solo spots went, in this format of soloist following soloists ( solos following linking solos, as it were), he was the least impressive in those strings of solos on that night.

No hard feelings, just a honest opinion.

Edited by marcello

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you all for your well wishes and hopefully I can get this thing to a venue near you in the future.

Where can tour info be found? Do you have a website?

Greg

Greg,

No, sorry, no web-site. I'm hopelessly behind the times in such matters but have been looking into it for myself and for Freddie. The Cookers thing will be at the Cork Jazz Festival in Ireland on October 29 with Billy Harper, Charles Tolliver, myself, Craig Handy and Kirk Lightsey. Beyond that, we are looking to do a couple of things here and there next year and will keep you posted. For now though, those of you in New York who are free tonight can try this....

Iridium Jazz Club

Presents

The New Jazz Composers Octet

with Special Guests

Charles Tolliver and Billy Harper-

Sunday October 2

The New Jazz Composers Octet

David Weiss- Trumpet

Myron Walden- Alto Sax

Craig Handy- Tenor Sax

Issac Smith- Trombone

Norbert Stachel- Baritone Sax

George Colligan- Piano

Dwayne Burno- Bass

Gene Jackson- Drums

Sets at 8 and 10 pm

Iridium Jazz Club

1650 Broadway at 51st Street

(212) 582-2121

Sorry for the last minute notice

Edited by david weiss

whoa, what kind of mannerisms did Jeremy project? Freddie' sometimes disinterest in what's happening around him?  David, I've lurked around AAJ where you post and enjoy what you have to say.  How is Freddie these  days?

Jeremy is to me quite the original voice on his own projects. He is a great composer and has a unique vision as a bandleader. He has absorbed a lot of the history of this music as well including learning a lot of Freddie Hubbard music. So I guess if you put him on a stage with James Spaulding and Pete LaRoca and play those tunes....those Freddie influences might come through a little more than usual. I don't know about the mannerisms though, didn't really see that (well maybe once).

As for Freddie himself, he's doing well. He's playing in LA today at Drew University (I think that's what it's called) with a West Coast version of the octet including Bob Hurst, Billy Childs and Marvin Smitty Smith. That should be interesting. He also was recently awarded the National Endowment of the Arts Jazz Masters award which I think is well deserved no matter what I saw some of you say on another thread. We are working on a couple of projects, a new recording, a trumpet method book and of course some tours. I'll keep you posted when I can.

Making music happen, happens on so many different levels.  In my band we all have are differential strengths and weakness.  Some are technically better, some have feel as their defining strength, and others keep the musically energy happening.  Maybe on a given facet, any single member could be considered the weak link, though, I do get tired of people reducing music to sports terms. 

In other words, and in particular, on the facet of art, competition is silly.  It is contribution to the whole that should matter most.

I've played with more experienced musicians and learned from it.  And vice versa.

Of course, with regards to my experiences with more technically developed or experienced players,  I've smoked (ooopps sports term) some of them with my energy, excitement, and vibe.  And they played better because of it. In short, the contributions come in all forms. 

Finally, we all get to a certain point where we do something best.  Unique traits and energy are what separate the artists from the technicians.  I believe that I can learn from just about anybody.  And when someone compliments my playing I try to remember what it was like to be on that side of the stage. 

For me, it is hunger and humility.

You know Greg, I find myself using sports analogies a lot when talking about music but not in the cutting contest sort of way, more in the role player sort of way. Like when a team like the Pistons beats a star-studded team like the Lakers in the Finals and it's because on one team every player knows their role and how to execute it. Sometimes I think the most successful bands are the same way, a band of superstars doesn't always necessarily work but a band where everyone know their roles can be a monster. Take Weather Report for instance, I always believed Wayne took the role that he though best suited the band and the music even if it meant not being the focus of attention all the time and some have criticized him for it because they didn't understand what he was doing. It sort of like criticizing a point guard for not scoring 40 points a night

whoa, what kind of mannerisms did Jeremy project? Freddie' sometimes disinterest in what's happening around him?  David, I've lurked around AAJ where you post and enjoy what you have to say.  How is Freddie these  days?

Jeremy is to me quite the original voice on his own projects. He is a great composer and has a unique vision as a bandleader. He has absorbed a lot of the history of this music as well including learning a lot of Freddie Hubbard music. So I guess if you put him on a stage with James Spaulding and Pete LaRoca and play those tunes....those Freddie influences might come through a little more than usual. I don't know about the mannerisms though, didn't really see that (well maybe once).

This is what I posted:

Jermy Pelt did a very, very good impression of Freddie Hubbard, right down to stoping in mid-solo, taking a step back from the mic, then hitching his shoulders and cocking his head before continuing.

Mea Culpa in advance.

Edited by marcello

I always assumed Wayne's 'backseat' role in Weather Report was also partly due to family issues.  These are documented in Michelle Mercer's book.

Sometimes life and its hardships get in the way of art.

Bertrand.

Well Bertrand, I haven't read the book but I certainly heard some stories and was read some passages along the way. My impression is that the family stuff perhaps kept Wayne from taking a bigger role in the running of the band type of things (something he probably didn't want to do anyway) and that all that fell to Zawinul. The bandstand is the bandstand, where you forget about everything else and play music and I think that Wayne took the role he thought was best suited for the overall sound of the group, especially after Jaco came along. If the bass player is taking on the role that is perhaps more suited for a front line guy someone has to take a more supportive role. Just speculation on my part perhaps but I think it is in part valid at least. Is there a story in the book about the band being on the road and they have to fire someone and Zawinul, sick of this role, asks Wayne to do it and Wayne sends the person a telegram instead of confronting him in person.

Edited by david weiss

David,

That anecdote is in the Zawinul bio by Brian Glasser, and Chester Thompson is the unfortunate recipient of the telegram.

There may be something in Mercer's book as well, but I have only read it by jumping back and forth, so I may have missed it.

Despite its flaws (see elsewhere), I do intend to read through Michelle's book cover to cover, since it is the only Wayne bio out there.

By the way, Wayne kicked ass at the Washington monument yesterday. Can't wait to see him in Philly next week.

Bertrand.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Up as we are doing this again

The Cookers

Charles Tolliver- Trumpet

James Spaulding- Alto Sax

Billy Harper- Tenor Sax

David Weiss- Trumpet

George Cables- Piano

Cecil McBee- Bass

Gene Jackson- Drums

This coming Wednesday and Thursday at the

Jazz Standard

116 East 27th Street

Sets at 7:30 and 9:30 pm

Hope you can make it out....

Up as we are doing this again

The Cookers

Charles Tolliver- Trumpet

James Spaulding- Alto Sax

Billy Harper- Tenor Sax

David Weiss- Trumpet

George Cables- Piano

Cecil McBee- Bass

Gene Jackson- Drums

This coming Wednesday and Thursday at the

Jazz Standard

116 East 27th Street

Sets at 7:30 and 9:30 pm

Hope you can make it out....

I saw the show (w/o David or James, unfortunately) at Yoshi's. Great show anyway! If you're in NYC, definitely go see it. I'll be there in mid-Dec - too late for this one, I guess.