Happy birthday DTMX

J.A.W.

My wife's birthday is today too -- woot!!!!  :party:  :party:  :party:

I'll only say how old she is, if DTMX says how old he is.  :w

This was the big 4-0. Nice to hear that someone else shares a Kennedy assassination birthday with me. I have a cousin who was also born on the 22nd, an aunt (21st), best friend (15th) - probably all of us the products of some Valentine's Day bootknocking.

Thanks, everybody. I really enjoying visiting Organissimo.org, listening to everyone's opinions, and learning a lot from such a diverse group of people. I came here to learn more about jazz, and ended up joining a community. Thanks again for having me.

That said, I was dreading the 40th - it's just a number, but it's a big number, and it ends in a zero so it kind of stands out, you know? But I think I brought it in just right. Saturday night was a McCoy Tyner with Ravi Coltrane and Pharoah Sanders concert with friends. Sunday was an early Thanksgiving with three generations of family that made me aware of how lucky I have it, that I can go home to an empty house and not have to put up with that yelling-crying-NASCAR-arguing mob more than a few times a year. Visiting friends and leaving with giftwrapped Coltrane and Buddy Rich CDs. And then on Monday, I got to hear my favorite local jazz group - the Anton Harris/Dashill Smith Quartet - play their final gig of their Monday night residency at Churchill Grounds, Atlanta's best jazz club. I think I was the only person in the audience that didn't bring a horn to jam. The band was working its way through Coltrane and Shorter tunes while other musicians were responding with unison horn riffs from the bar. I think I counted 11 people onstage at various times. And then having the day off from work so getting home at 3AM wasn't a problem.

If I'd known turning 40 was going to be such fun, I'd have done it a long time ago. But now it's time to visit the ol' personal trainer, and make amends for three days of sloth and debauchery.

Thanks again,

Doug

• 7 years later...