The Chess Thread! (not the record label!!!)

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the game (if you are interested):

Ivanchuk,V (2703) - Alekseev,Evgeny (2714) [A13]

5th FIDE GP Jermuk ARM (4), 12.08.2009

1.c4 Nf6 2.Nf3 e6 3.g3 d5 4.Bg2 d4 5.0-0 c5 6.e3 Nc6 7.exd4 cxd4 8.d3 Be7 9.Re1 0-0 10.Na3 Ne8 11.Nc2 f6 12.Bd2 a5 13.a3 a4 14.Nb4 Nc7 15.Rb1 Bd7 16.Nh4 Na5 17.f4 g6 18.f5 gxf5 19.g4 f4 20.Bxf4 Na6 21.Nd5 exd5 22.Bxd5+ Kg7 23.Kh1 Re8? [23...Kh8 or 23...Nc6 was necessary

24.g5! Kh8 25.Qh5 Rg8 26.Bxg8 Kxg8. Now it is a forced mate. 27.g6 Bc6+ 28.Re4 Bxe4+ 29.dxe4 hxg6 30.Qxg6+ Kh8 31.Qh5+ and mate in two more moves. 1-0.

Here's an interesting position that appeared in a game I just played. I'm White, Black is to move.

As best as I can tell Black's best move is the not very pretty 1...Qa3. Everything else is going to lose material. The actual continuation was the more natural-looking 1...Qe4? which gets crushed by 2. Bd3 Qe6 (virtually forced) 3. Re1.

Edit: I guess both of us missed 2...Bh6, which appears to at least prevent immediate disaster. Although things still look pretty yucky for Black after 3. Bxe4 Bxd2 4. Bxd5.

I played the Morra Gambit in this game and had always heard how this opening can put an opposing queen on the run, but never managed to pull it off until today.

post-35-1250585416_thumb.jpg

Edited by Big Wheel

It was an online game but the games are not exportable so I had to recreate the diagram from scratch anyway. It's pretty simple to do with the diagram generator Templejazz posted upthread and you can then save the picture file as an attachment and upload it to a post.

• 1 month later...

Here is an interesting story about an incident which isn't well known. It's from www.chesscafe.com

The Fischer-Benko Slapping Incident

Hanon W. Russell

The 1962 Candidates Tournament that was held in the Dutch territory of Curacao was to have a profound effect on Bobby Fischer. He arrived full of optimism; he departed disappointed and cynical. Shortly thereafter, he wrote his famous article for the American magazine Sports Illustrated wherein he accused the Russians of cheating.

During that tournament, there was a peculiar incident that has never received much publicity. Indeed, a look at contemporary sources (Chess Review, Chess Life and British Chess Magazine) reveals no direct reference to the incident. In fact, it is only in BCM (October 1962, p.301) that we even read about “Fischer and Benko [having] a slight altercation during one of the early rounds.” (Letter from R. Cantwell).

The American contingent consisted of Fischer, Hungarian émigré Pal Benko, and Arthur Bisguier, who technically was designated as Fischer’s second, but was also providing similar help to Benko. After the fifth round of the first cycle, (it was a grueling quadruple round-robin) both Fischer and Benko had adjourned games. (This was the era when adjournments were the norm.) Fischer demanded that Bisguier assist him. Benko, who had started the tournament much better than Fischer, wanted help with his adjourned game against Petrosian. There was a shouting match, and Benko apparently lost his cool. The next day, Fischer wrote the following letter...

To the tournament committee of the 1962 Curacao Candidates Tournament:

This is an official protest of the behavior of the behavior [sic] of Pal Benko. On the night of May 9, a little before midnight, Benko entered by room without my permission; he had followed Bisguier in. I immediately asked him to leave and he refused. I repeatedly asked to leave and he refused each time. He became angry when I refused to allow my second, Arthur Bisguier, to help him (Benko) analyze his adjournment with Petrosian. He insulted me and when I answered him he struck me while I was seated in a chair. I did not strike him back. Then he finally left the room.

I suggest that Benko be fined and/or expelled from the tournament.

The above episode was witnessed by Arthur Bisguier.

Respectfully,

/s/ Robert Fischer

Several years ago, we asked Arthur Bisguier if he could shed further light on the incident. Although it does not specifically state that Benko struck Fischer, when asked, Bisguier conceded that had indeed happened. His response reads in full...

The following should help put Fischer’s protest in the proper perspective and context.

I was Fischer’s official second at Curacao. Although I expressed my willingness to also serve in that capacity for Benko, Fischer insisted on a second all to himself. His justification was that the Candidates’ Tournament is an individual tournament, not a team event, and Benko was another prospective opponent.

Curacao was expensive; there were insufficient funds to support two seconds and Fischer was a tournament favorite, while Benko was regarded as a dark horse. Still, I believe it was tacitly understood that, if there were any times when Fischer did not need my services, I would assist Benko in adjournments or analysis if it was not adverse to Fischer’s interest.

The incident in question occurred after the fifth round of the first lap of the tournament. Fischer had had travel problems, arrived late and got off to a miserable start with a score of 1½ points out of his first five games. He had just lost a complicated game to Korchnoi and was feeling very despondent. He and I retired to his room where he ordered a substantial dinner from room service.

Meanwhile, so far in the tournament, Benko had done surprisingly well. Using his secret weapon, l g3, he defeated Fischer in round one and Tal in round three. Although he had lost to Filip in round two, he held Korchnoi to a draw in round four and after adjourning round five found himself with an extremely favorable position against Petrosian (he was to miss a win and eventually draw in 67 moves).

While Fischer was eating, I was trying to placate him when Benko knocked on the door. It was obvious that he was looking for help with his adjourned position. I tried to warn him and signalled that I would get to him after finishing with Bobby. Fischer then asked Benko what he wanted, and, upon being told, ordered Benko out of his room and forbade me to assist Benko. Words ensued, with Benko calling Bobby selfish and the two of them hurling epithets at each other. I did my best to act as peacemaker, and Benko, after making physical gestures toward Bobby, finally left the room. Fischer reiterated that I was to give no help to Pal and, moreover, wanted Benko thrown out of the tournament, threatening not to play himself unless he got his way.

After that, there was much behind the scenes action. I persuaded Bobby that the better course of action would be to continue to play but to register a formal protest with the chief tournament arbiter. That is why the protest to the arbiter was written.

This is my best recollection of those events.

/s/ Arthur Bisguier

Ironically, Fischer and Benko went on to become good friends. But, once upon a time...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks. I read the chesscafe site every week ("regular" features updated every Tues. at 10PM ET), and had seen it.

Re. current chess events: in his first tournament (Nanjing, CHN) since disclosing that he is trained by Garry Kimovich, Magnus Carlsen leads at the halfway point with 4.5/5. No other player has won even a single game.

Re. recent chess events: the K-K nostalgia match was a dud, as Karpov was in atrocious form and got pummelled by the aforementioned Garry K.

• 10 months later...

Here's an Internet game I just finished playing. I analyzed it with the Rybka engine afterward and was particularly pleased that my exchange sacrifice on move 26 was most likely the best one, preserving my advantage. I tend to be way too much of a materialist most of the time.

2 minutes per move

[White "my opponent (Greece)"]

[black "me"]

[Result "0-1"]

1.d4 Nf6

2.c4 e6

3.Nf3 c5

4.d5 b6?!

My knowledge of the Indian/Benoni-type defenses is very weak. My plan here is usually to try to drag an opponent's pawns off-center with the c5 push, but when that fails I often play too tentatively and fail to strike at the center fast enough.

5.Bf4 Bb7

6.Nc3 d6

7.dxe6 fxe6

8.Ng5?! Qd7

White had a significant advantage after move 7 but is attacking too quickly. Still, this move and the threat of Nb5 looked very scary over the board.

9.Qd3 Nc6

10.Rd1 e5

10...Be7 was probably a bit better according to the computer.

11.Be3? a6?

Castling queenside or 11...Nd4 was far better, but Nb5 was still worrying me.

12.Nd5 Nxd5

13.cxd5 Nb4!

14.Qc4 b5?

Moving the queen to a more offensive position was way better. I tend to be way quick to try and grab space and push an opponent's queen around.

15.Qb3 a5

16.Rd2 c4

17.Qd1 Nxa2?!

Playing 17...h6 first, kicking away the knight, is better now that White can't play Qg6+, but I missed it. I also didn't like the looks of White playing Ne6, even though with White's queen on Qe4 I can reply to Ne6 with Qxe6!.

18.Qc2? Rybka says 18. g3 is the only way to preserve White's slight advantage. I haven't a clue why White thought it was a good idea to first block his king's pawn with 11. Be3 and then refuse to play g3 to let the bishop out the other way, with the fianchetto.

18...Nb4!

19.Qe4 Be7

20.Nxh7 O-O-O!

Turned out to be best, but I was very reluctant to play this move because the rare occasions I castle queenside as Black tend to end very badly.

21.Ng5 Rdf8

22.f3 Bxg5 (...Rf5 is way better)

23.Bxg5 Kc7

24.f4? Qf5

By this point in the game, I was kind of obsessed with getting White's queen off the board so I could finally take the pawn on d5. I missed the much better ...Qf7! which both wins the pawn anyway and prevents White from playing 25. fxe4?? because of 25...Qf2+ 26. Kd1 Qxf1+!! 27. Rxf1 Rxf1#. After 24...Qf5 my big advantage is gone.

25.Qxf5 Rxf5

26.e4 Rxg5!!

With White finally about to start developing his kingside pieces and bearing down on the center with his pawns, I didn't see any other option than to take his one mobile piece out of commission.

27.fxg5 Rh4

28.Re2 Bc8

...Nd3+ is the only way to continue holding on to an advantage, but that blocked-in bishop on b7 seemed useless.

29.Kd2! Nd3

30.b3? Nc5

31.bxc4 Nxe4+

32.Ke3 Ng3!

Forking both rooks AND the bishop. My exchange sacrifice pays off nicely in the end.

33.hxg3 Rxh1

34.Rf2 b4

35.g6

White's extra two pawns on the g-file are worthless, but 35.g6 was concerning. I wasn't sure I could promote one of my monster passed pawns before White after 36. Rf7+.

35...a4

36.Bd3? b3

36...a3 would have wrapped things up nicely according to the computer.

37.Be4?? Inexplicable. 37...a3

38.Rf2f7+ Bc8d7

My one huge blemish in this part of the game. After 38...Kb8! White is crushed.

39.Bf5 a2

40.Rxg7 a1=Q

Only the immediate 40.Rxd7+ would have left him any kind of a chance. Rybka gives 40. Rxd7+ Kb6 41. Rxd6+ Ka5 42. Ra6 a1=Q 43. Rxa1 Rxa1....but then white's tripled, blocked g-pawns and my passed b-pawn mean he's toast anyway.

41.Rxd7+ Kb8

42.Rd8+ Kc7

43.Rd7+ Kb6

44.Rxd6+ Kb6a5

No checks left. Here comes the fat lady.

45.g7 Qa1d4+

46.Ke2 e4 (Qd1+ mates faster)

47.Ra6+ Kxa6

48.Bc8+ Ka5

49.g8=Q Too late.

49...Qd3+

50.Kf2 Rf1#

Edited by Big Wheel

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

GM Svetozar Gligoric (88) presents first music album

He was a world class chess player for decades, but at 88 he returned to his first love. Last Tuesday, the legendary Serbian grandmaster Svetozar Gligoric presented in Belgrade his first music album. Serbian and Spanish media report that the album consists of twelve compositions in different genres, like blues, jazz, ballads and rap.

• 3 months later...

In the middle of this long Q/A session with GM Levon Aronian, there's the following interesting jazz-related passage:

bebop тorway:

- Comparing your chess style with jazz, who would you be? I guess Magnus Carlsen is somewhat like Thelonius Monk – simple but yet very complex! (CiT)

I’ll respond using too many words, but please bear in mind the mitigating circumstance that I’ve got a maniacal affection for jazz.

Given that Thelonius had fame and recognition only among his colleagues, while the critics had difficulty understanding his ideas, he’s probably better reflected in the chess world by Michael Adams, while Magnus himself is more likely Tony Williams – a prodigy and trendsetter.

It’s a difficult task for me to compare myself to anyone. My natural modesty means it’s hard for me to name Joe Henderson or Booker Little. So as not to disappoint you, I’ll give a short list of other comparisons. Let’s start with one close to my heart. Vassily Ivanchuk, in my opinion, is Ornette Coleman – that same universality and great influence on other players. Bent Larsen is somehow similar to Roland Kirk. A great melodist (positional player), whose play was extravagant. Vasily Smyslov could very well be represented by Grant Green. A harmonious manner of play and wonderful technique. I associate Tigran Petrosian with Warne Marsh. A unique style of play which, it seemed, was too calm and dull, while in reality it was deep and cunning.

• 3 weeks later...

For those who thought that Nakamura wouldn't reach the absolute world elite, he is now 6th in the world with an Elo rating of 2770.

On another note, Gelfand qualified to become the next challenger to Anand's WC crown. After all the talk about the younger generations born in the 80s and 90s, it is actually two guys born in the 60s that will play the next WC match!

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 years later...

I've gradually come to believe that computers have killed chess.

Here's an interesting item: Google's "DeepMind" AlphaZero, after minimal preparation, thrashed Stockfish, which is universally highly ranked on the short list of strongest computer programs. [Added: computer programs such as Stockfish are so strong that "man vs. machine" matches such as Kasparov used to play are practically extinct; when they do occur, the computer has to give the Grandmasters odds (material plus moves)!]

Some games here

[Added -2-] More details here: DeepMind’s AlphaZero crushes chess

Blurb:

Google-funded DeepMind has now shown that their AlphaZero algorithm can't just be used to beat Go but can outplay the best existing chess engines at chess and shogi. Their algorithm took a mere 4 hours of playing games against itself to teach itself to play chess at a level superior to Stockfish 8! In 100 games AlphaZero scored 25 wins and 25 draws with White, while with Black it scored 3 wins and 47 draws. It didn't lose a game, with the final score 64:36. Here you can replay 10 example games by our new computer overlord. Read the DeepMind paper (pdf): arxiv.org/pdf/1712.01815.pdf

Edited by T.D.

• 4 weeks later...