The Chess Thread! (not the record label!!!)

I learned very early on, before the age of 7 and possibly earlier--I remember someone showing me the moves at 5 or 6. Most of what I picked up came from I.A. Horowitz's "Chess for Beginners."

Despite learning so early, I suck. I dunno if it's that I never really practiced, but I blunder constantly whenever I play (maybe once a year these days).

Edited by Big Wheel

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been known to sit in on a few blitz games during the summers at the stone chess tables in Harvard Square (never played for money though, because I know I'd be broke within the first hour). Blitz is exciting, but I find that really sitting down for a significant period of time to ponder each move and its ramifications to be quite thrilling in a different way.

One thing I find fascinating is that for the most part, I lack the "killer instinct" when it comes to playing chess, because most of the chess playing denizens I've come across really have a need to win, and seem to take it personally when they don't. Whereas, I find the game itself interesting enough that I'm satisfied even if I lose. I wonder if that's because men and women view chess from a different perspective... (Polgar sisters excluded).

JK :)

The whole point is winning, JK. :tup -- Also the dominance of your artistic, scientific, personality view. It is crushing to lose when you have applied your personality, your artistic sense, your whole construct and theory of life into the game. That's why losing at chess is so painful.

Of course, if you don't put these elements at risk when you play the game then there is no disappointment in losing. ;)

BTW, in my opinion, there is little that is worse for your game than blitz chess. It promotes rapid cursory understanding of the position at the cost of depth. Although I do play it from time to time, I limit it.

Speaking only from my personal experience, I find that if I put my ego on the line either while playing chess or trying to churn out a solo while playing the piano, I feel more self conscious and thus feel less inclined to "try new or unexplored routes"... Perhaps by allowing myself to go Zen and not worry about losing in chess and just concentrate on playing the best I can, I can continue to enjoy the game.

P.S. Is there really a difference between "+/-" vs "-/+"? :P

Huge difference. You're lucky actually if you get such assessments when studying something like chess openings. Usually the advantages reached are small ones not major advantages such as those symbols indicate.

Chess books ARE boring. Anything you have to study is boring. Still, it is necessary to study chess books in order to get better. After doing it for a long time it will become a little more interesting; but studying opening books is the most boring of all. I like to go over grandmaster games myself, and find books of game compilations to be more interesting. Stategy books can be more interesting as well. Endgame books are boring, but unfortunately necessary.

That's the way it goes. No way round it.

• 2 weeks later...

Played in a tournament yesterday and tied for first. It was arranged in quad fashion which means that there were four all-play-all player sections. I was paired in the top section and won 1 game and drew 2 for a total of 2 points. The fellow I beat won his last two games to tie me with 2 points for first.

I am pleased because I played against the best guys in the city. I am now the best and pretty much proved it once again. :D

Don't know how much longer that will last, but I'm pretty happry right now.

Wasn't sure how well I would be playing as I didn't get much studying done over the last month or so and I didn't get that much sleep the night before. My play was pretty good though.

I think I'm still getting better. Imagine that...an old fart like me! :g

To all the middleaged people out there: we're not dead yet!! (I feel like George Foreman) :bwallace:

Forgot to mention: I have won my last four tournaments and am undefeated in my last 15 rated games.

How long will this last? I'm living a dream... :wub:

Even if I'm suffering from a king-sized headache right now. :eye:

Sure wish that other aspects of my life were going as good... :winky:

Edited by connoisseur series500

Over at Jazz Corner, there were a couple of guys that used to play online. I even tried it there once myself, despite the fact that I knew I was underqualified (I lost, but wasn't humiliated). Anyway, I noticed that there's a game going on there currently:

Chess game at JC

Maybe a few of you guys could do the same thing here... or better yet- challenge the Jazz Corner champion to come over here for a match! :excited:

I didn't want to respond as I didn't think it right to "kick out" the Karim thread from the main board visibility. Now that JK has already done it then I can respond!

I don't play online chess anymore. I used to and it badly damaged my game. Problem is that I became adept at quick moves and lost my ability to think deeply. I quit online chess and my results improved tremendously.

There are other issues as well: people use computers and so on without revealing it.

I'm sure JK is on the level. I will gladly watch the game but won't play.

Sorry all but I save my playing for tournaments and my butt is always on the line. My games are published on websites for all to see, so I'm not hiding from anyone. I risk my rating whenever I play in tournaments and put my heart and soul into those games. Between tournaments I do not play chess but try to study and work on chess calculations. Online chess is detrimental to that.

One of the strongest tournaments this year finished yesterday. Kasparov didn’t play but number 2, 3, and 4 in the world (Vladimir Kramnik, Viswanathan Anand and Peter Leko respectively) all participated. But the Dortmund tournament saw one of this biggest upsets ever in top-level chess when the Moldavian grandmaster Viorel Bologan, only rated 42 in the world, won it, a full point ahead of Kramnik and Anand. At 31 Bologan is no wunderkind, but he certainly won a lot of new fans with his superb performance in this tournament.

16-year old Teimour Radjabov, already rated No 45 in the world, managed an excellent 50% score, and was responsible for one of the most sensational games in a long time when he beat Anand as Black in round 2. Earlier this year Radjabov created an even bigger stir when he beat Kasparov as Black as well. Watch out for this kid. In a few years he may be World Champion material.

2visraj.jpg

The beginning of the sensational game where 16-year old Teimour Radjabov as Black beat World No 3 Viswanathan Anand.

klitschko.jpg

Vitali Klitschko visited the Dortmund tournament and is here seen flanked by Bologan’s wife Margarita to the left and Leko’s wife Sofia to the right.

Wow, who says grandmasters can't get women? Of course, a boxer shows up and they're all over him!! ;);)

Vishy Anand's wife is real cute too. I can't post pictures but perhaps someone can come up with one.

On the other hand, Jan Timman married his wife for reasons other than looks evidently, but his daughter is real cute, if my memory is correct.

Bobby Fischer has a Filipino girlfriend, but no one knows what she looks like. Basically he is married to himself! ;)

Bologan has been making waves even before the tournament in Dortmund. He won the Aeroflot Open which was no easy task. He is obviously on the way up. I was following the Dortmund games live over the past few weeks. He came up with a lot of opening novelties and had some good fortune to beat Peter Lecko who was in a better position. Vishy beat Bologan in a beautiful game. Nice rook sac.

I didn't want to respond as I didn't think it right to "kick out" the Karim thread from the main board visibility. Now that JK has already done it then I can respond!

I don't play online chess anymore. I used to and it badly damaged my game. Problem is that I became adept at quick moves and lost my ability to think deeply. I quit online chess and my results improved tremendously.

There are other issues as well: people use computers and so on without revealing it.

I'm sure JK is on the level. I will gladly watch the game but won't play.

Sorry all but I save my playing for tournaments and my butt is always on the line. My games are published on websites for all to see, so I'm not hiding from anyone. I risk my rating whenever I play in tournaments and put my heart and soul into those games. Between tournaments I do not play chess but try to study and work on chess calculations. Online chess is detrimental to that.

cs500,

I understand what you're saying, and I fully respect your "position" (sorry, couldn't resist ;)). I just wanted to mention that my suggestion, in general, was only meant in the spirit of fun, comraderie... a "recreational" competition. I know that for serious players, the notion of a "fun" game probably presents issues, as you have already pointed out. Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, online chess can be fun, and the idea that somebody might be using a computer against me is irrelevant, IMO. In fact, it's silly. I know the object is to win, and one should always try to win, but if somebody is insecure (and deceitful) enough to cheat in order to come out on top in a situation like this, then I feel sorry for them. In other words, as long as we're talking about a recreational game where nothing is at stake, then I don't think this is a relevant issue. But I still see where you're coming from otherwise. :)

No problem, Jim, and it's a good idea on your part.

BTW, you would be surprised how many insecure idiots there are out there who play on those online sites like ICC or KC before it went bankrupt. Met some great friends there, but there were a lot of insecure people as well who use powerful computers.

Hey, Kitten has made a move; why not reply, Jim? :P

Hey, Kitten has made a move; why not reply, Jim? :P

:huh: ... :D Well, I'm hoping that somebody who actually plays the game (on a regular basis) might want to take her on. The last time I played a game was 1999, and that was the aforementioned match at Jazz Corner. The last time I played before that was probably around 1979, against our old Atari 2600! :lol: Like Big Al, I'm probably better off taking on my son. I think I could still handle him... :unsure:

Since I was the one who opened my big mouth, though, I would give it a shot... if nobody else wants to go for it. :w

Fear not! I'm only a casual player, and don't like to study at all; thus I'm likely to "go out of book" within the first 5 moves. Moreover, I was hoping to find a multi-player tandem chess game, where 3+ players might engage in the same game, taking turns to make the next move and play opposite colors (thereby nullifying any hopes of long term strategem held by one single mind). The original thought was to use our collective wits to think of what the next move ought to be. However, it seems there's potentially too much ego involved in this game, so perhaps I should offer everyone a draw?

Fear not! I'm only a casual player, and don't like to study at all; thus I'm likely to "go out of book" within the first 5 moves.

Book? What book? :D

But seriously, JK, like I said, I'll play if there isn't interest from any real players out there. Not an ego thing with me. I don't care if I lose, or even look foolish in doing so. To me, chess is challenging, even if I've never taken it seriously. My problem is, it takes up a LOT of time for me. I don't like to (and really can't) play quickly, and I don't have enough practice to see the whole board the way a seasoned player does. I don't necessarily have a LOT of time to spend on this right now, so I'd still prefer to watch (and maybe learn something in the process).

Speaking of learning, how many different systems are there for notating moves? I think there were two that predominated over at Jazz Corner, but I really have no idea (I think I had help with the basics in order to participate over there, but it's been awhile!).