Thanksgiving

So what does everyone have in store for Thanksgiving?

Lucky me, I'll be leaving the office at lunch time today, not to be seen til Monday morning.

Thanksgiving for me, at least since I met my wife, has been Lenczycki style:

Fried bird :blink:

Excellent stuffing

Mixed bag of veggies (good potatoes and green bean casserole almost overcoming overcooked broccoli and nasty stuff like turnips)

NO pumpkin pie (they're all allergic)

Its all made with love, but I'm starting to really miss Mom's Thanksgiving.

So does anyone actually go to a mall this weekend? We've always avoided those nightmares, and I can't imagine anyone wanting to waste the day that way ... but that's just me. :g

Happy Turkey Day everyone! And if you have to drive somewhere, crank up the jazz and drive safe!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For my Thanksgiving:

Baked turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, creamed corn, cranberry relish, homemade bread, and a simple lettuce & tomato salad. Followed by a choice of pumpkin pie or peanut-butter pie (or both) served with strong coffee and conversation.

Ham

Sweet Potatoes, baked, buttered

Green beans

Brocoli

Pumpkin Pie

It's just Helen and I this year, we're not enough of turkey fans to buy a bird, and we're going to relax as much as we can. I'm going to try to go see "Alexander". . . with or without her! ^_^ NO MALLS! NO FOOTBALL!

Gotta love a holiday where one eats a great meal in mass quantities. Mom will be baking up a massive turkey loaded with stuffing, green beans, broccoli cheese casserole, my Grandma's red wine salad, mashed potatoes and gravy, deviled eggs...man, I can't wait. My brother's girlfriend is bringing some mushrooms stuffed with bacon and other goodies. Pumpkin pie, apple pie...

I have much to be thankful for, including all the friends I've made here at this great forum. Happy Thanksgiving!

For the first time in my life, Thanksgiving is at my house. I have eight guests. I don't like turkey, so here's the plan:

Ham

Two small whole chickens

Stuffing

Yams

Mashed potatoes

Green beans

Salad

Pumpkin pie

Apple pie

And, to hedge against my cooking sucking,

Lots and lots and LOTS of booze. Everyone is taking a cab home.

I'm going to try to go see "Alexander". . . with or without her!

Does she not want to see it? Just wondering...

I watched the previews of 'Alexander' throughout the summer movie season. This is a movie I'll save for viewing via DVD. It looks like it could be good, could be bad, but will be long and drawn out.

Baked turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie. I hardly notice the other stuff. I believe it includes:

Ham

Salad

Rice

Crab (don't ask)

Brocolli

Rolls

Blueberry creamcheese pie

Ice cream

If I go see a movie later on, it will probably be Spongebob Squarepants (or maybe The Incredibles a second time.)

My wife and I drove to Iowa City, IA yesterday afternoon. We're spending Thanksgiving with my brother and his family. The menu is pretty standard:

Baked turkey

Stuffing (probably Stove Top - fine by me)

Green beans with bacon

Corn

Rolls

Apple pie

Pineapple upside-down cake (Mrs. vibes wanted to try something new)

...and a bunch of other stuff.

I hope everyone has a very Happy Thanksgiving. :)

In NYC style, dinner at 5 PM for 13.

Appetizers

Spring rolls with a garlic wine dip

Puff pastry pizza

Sausage rolls with a dijon dip

Various aperitifs

Dinner

32lb free range grain fed turkey

In the bird and stove top stuffing

Idaho baked potato with (low fat) sour cream

candied yams

vegetable casserole in brandy sauce

4 types of rolls

various red and white wines

Dessert

Pumpkin pie with (low fat) whipped cream

4 layer Hershey dairy milk chocolate cake

All washed down with 2 different single malt scotch whiskies

Happy Thanksgiving to all my Organissimo friends.

Edited by grey

Since neither Denmark nor Iceland had Indians nor Pilgrims to take their land, I grew up without this holiday. I never cared for turkey and always hated stuffing, but I do like candied yams and cranberry sauce. Anyway, I'm staying home to work on Basie notes, count 18th century St. Croix slaves, and see if I can make it to the next Myst island.

A friend just stopped by to drop off a Thanksgiving dinner from his church, so I guess I'll get a taste of this holiday, after all'

Here's wishing all my Organissimo friends a happy one!

For maybe the first time ever, Ann and I are alone. She cooked a 16 lb bird and we had all the "fixin's". We ate at 1 PM, watched the Dallas/Chicago game at 4:30, had some "bubbly" and threw up near the end of the game. :o

Everything I said before is true 'cept the gettin' sick part.

We did talk to our parents and kids today.

Family love and tensions are REAL and the most important part of life.

Best wishes to all.

Love all of you.

Chuck

My dinner consisted of pizza and Sapporo beer.

I remember a Thanksgiving Day when I was in college. My Dad had to work on Thanksgiving that year (he worked for the airlines). My Mom decided, with her husband being out of town, she wasn't cooking the Thanksgiving dinner. She took us to one of those all-you-can-eat places for their Thanksgiving offering. As I sat in the restaurant, on Thanksgiving Day, the idea of pizza and beer at home seemed most appealing.

Edited by wesbed