Thanksgiving

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started out at around 11:30 am on icy country roads, on my way to my girl friend Margaret's mother's for an early afternoon dinner complete with Asti, Balderdash, & Scrabble with coffee, homemade pumpkin pie, and cheese cake ... ;)

At 7pm I went to my 2nd Thanksgiving feast at the palace of "Count Fiisher", a legendary drummer/club owner, originally from Indianapolis and just turned 80 and still gigs with his vocalist/wife, Miss Eve Renee.. They had gumbo, cornbread, bean pies, sweet potato pie, potato salad, yams, and of course turkey & pumpkin pie.. :)

Last stop was around 10:00 pm. Stopped by my sister Sandy's place and watched the Seinfeld special, and my brother Bill, who lives next door to my sister came by for a 'chat and what have ya'.. Now it's 1:10am and I'm listening to Joey D and enjoying a nice glass of "Dancing Bull" Zinfandel .... B-)

Have a great weekend ya'll... :tup

Edited by randissimo

My wife and I entertained 19 people (so a total of 21 counting the two of us) plus Zora and my sister's two-week old, Sophia. We had a 26lbs. turkey, a spiral ham, mashed taters, sweet taters, stuffin', bean caserole, salad, lots of wine, deviled eggs, cheeses of all kinds, etc. etc. It was a lot of fun.

I had a gig tonight which was fine but the best part of the day came around 5pm. Zora was getting tired and my sister was in Zora's nursery feeding and comforting little Sophia, so Zora and I went and laid down on my bed, her little head on my chest and we fell asleep together for an hour. I love her so! :wub:

She awoke all refreshed and happy and so did I!

Well, this is after the fact, but I had 10 people over, and with me & my wife and our son we hit the lucky 13 diners. I started the night before, making a couple of pumpkin pies(one regular, one low carb), a cheesecake(low-carb) & a pot of tomato sauce. Thanksgiving itself was two small(10-12 lbs.) turkeys, stuffing,baked ziti(regular & low carb), sauteed mushrooms, sauteed broccoli, steamed stringbeans, green salad, cucumber salad. My wife made potato salad & raisin carrot slaw & cole slaw. A sister-in-law made macaroni & cheese & a chocolate cake and I bought a regular cheesecake, so we had no lack of desserts either. Everyone ate well and enjoyed the food a great deal and we had lot of laughs, so the time spent cooking was worth it to me. The food and the feast draws everyone in and then we can relate and enjoy everyone's company.

Edited by PHILLYQ

John, is this the beer you were referring to?

http://www.epinions.com/content_6748016260

Yes Big Wheel, that is the beer, it is of course spelt Yebisu, sorry for the confusion. As you can see, it is brewed by Sapporo and is their premium beer. Definitely recommend picking some up if you can find it.

Beer update: No luck finding Yebisu in stock around Boston yet. But I think there is a sushi restaurant around here that serves it. All else failing, I'll try the markets in Chinatown. Anyone in the States seen this beer?

John, have you ever tried Hitachino? The guy at the liquor store recommended their red rice ale to me today. At $4 or so a bottle I decided to skip it this time.

Did pick up a 6-pack of the Anchor Christmas Ale today, as a gift to a friend.

I meant to add this earlier...

Went to a friend-of-a-friend's T-Day dinner that they prepare annually for upwards of 35 people...in thier home. The hosts were my friend's co-worker and her husband (a chef). Two of his buddies (also chefs) helped out. This year, they decided to prepare dishes representing five regions of the United States. It was absolutely ridiculous, people. They even went so far as to print menus...

Northeast:

* Sage Roasted Turkey

* Cider gravy with pears

* Butternut and spaghetti squash soup

* Truffled green bean and mushroom saute

* Succotash

South:

* Deep-fried turkey

* Bradford's skillet cornbread

* Mashed yams and kabocha squash

Midwest:

* Traditional jellied cranberry sauce

* Roasted garlic mashed potatoes with scallions

* Apple compote

Southwest:

* Smoked Turkey

* Collared greens with ham hocks, chipotles, and fennel

* Corn gratin with poblano peppers

California:

* Brioche dressing with dried fruit

* Rustic cranberry compote with dried cherries and strawberries

* Root vegetable duchesse

* Sauteed brussel sprouts with pomengranite

* Warm spinach salad with rock shrimp, Point Reyes bleu cheese, and sherry vinagrette

I should also add that there were about seven desserts, twenty-some-odd bottles of red wine, and a keg of Marin Pale Ale (a beer so hoppy that it tasted like expensive weed). It was a truly amazing experience and something I'll never forget.

John, have you ever tried Hitachino? The guy at the liquor store recommended their red rice ale to me today. At $4 or so a bottle I decided to skip it this time.

Big Wheel, sorry but I have never tasted Hitachino. It does have a good reputation though. Anyway, as long as you can buy Sapporo you are in good shape, it is an excellent beer and probably the one I drink most frequently, especially when drinking draft beer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Bumping this up as I picked up a sixpack of Sapporo today in Somerville and discovered to my surprise that the bottles, and probably also those big silver cans, are brewed in Canada! This has been going on for the last couple of years as Sapporo entered into an agreement with the Canadian brewery Sleeman's.

Also, Kirin, it turns out, is brewed somewhere in the States. I guess the Japanese breweries are trying to either save on transport costs or are worried that too much of the stuff gets skunked during shipping.

• 2 years later...

So, anybody have big plans this year?

Any big menu ideas? Turducken, anyone? :ph34r:

I'm doing the solo hang again this year. My first Thanksgiving in Florida. Even though I'm on my own again, I'm very grateful for my new job. The insanity and upheaval of the last year and a half is starting to fade a bit.

I've decided to at least cook up some basic goodies- I'm roasting a small turkey and fixing some mashed taters and the requisite green bean casserole. Might have to do up a little punkin' pie too.

I'm also grateful for this board and the friends I have here. I'm glad Jim has continued to provide us with a great place to hang, and I appreciate all the knowledge gathered here. I know this place must at times be a pain in the ass for Jim, and I'm grateful that we're still here. Let's enjoy it while we can. I still think that what unites us, our love of music, is greater than anything that divides us. I know that when I have been down, the music is always what saves me.

Lots of things to be thankful for, like Zora's recovery from her accident, Jazzypaul's new daughter, the release of the On the Corner box :) , Sangrey's 25K posts (the majority of which have been outstanding with only a few disturbing detours), the upcoming Quincy Mosaic, just to name a very few.

Also best wishes for Lon and his wife, and any other members who have been going through trials in their lives. And safe travels to all.

I'm sure pretty much anyone here must be having a more exciting Thanksgiving than me, so let's hear about it! Cheers, everyone! :party:

I just found out today that I don't have to work Thanksgiving as I thought I did. So I'm looking at three straight days off (Tuesday and Wednesday are my normal "weekend"). Barb's going out of town, as we thought I was working, so it looks like it's a Blockbuster, pizza and beer Thanksgiving. Sniff...makes ya feel kind of nostaligic, don't it?

Gotta love a holiday where one eats a great meal in mass quantities. Mom will be baking up a massive turkey loaded with stuffing, green beans, broccoli cheese casserole, my Grandma's red wine salad, mashed potatoes and gravy, deviled eggs...man, I can't wait. My brother's girlfriend is bringing some mushrooms stuffed with bacon and other goodies. Pumpkin pie, apple pie...

I have much to be thankful for, including all the friends I've made here at this great forum. Happy Thanksgiving!

Hmmm, this all seems strangely familiar...

Gotta love a holiday where one eats a great meal in mass quantities. Mom will be baking up a massive turkey loaded with stuffing, green beans, broccoli cheese casserole, my Grandma's red wine salad, mashed potatoes and gravy, deviled eggs...man, I can't wait. My brother's girlfriend is bringing some mushrooms stuffed with bacon and other goodies. Pumpkin pie, apple pie...

That's it, I'm goin' to Nojjy's. :rsmile: