Song X

Green Dolphin

He signed with Nonesuch.

from Pat's web site:

In addition to presenting Metheny’s new music, the entire Metheny catalog from 1985 through the present will gradually become available on Nonesuch. “This all coincides with the return of the Geffen catalog of recordings (1986’s “Song X” through 1996’s “Quartet”) to our control. That means that we can look at each record on a case by case basis and figure out what to do with them. Some may benefit from remastering, some may find additional material being added.”

The first recording from Metheny Group Productions on Nonesuch will be a new Pat Metheny Group record on January 11th, 2005.

How could they call it Song X when it only had eight songs on it? They should have called it Song VIII. Maybe the new release will add two more songs and get things squared up.

But what if they go crazy and release more than 10? :eye::eye:

I'd love to know what's in the vaults and maybe this could produce another collaboration?

He signed with Nonesuch.

from Pat's web site:

In addition to presenting Metheny’s new music, the entire Metheny catalog from 1985 through the present will gradually become available on Nonesuch. “This all coincides with the return of the Geffen catalog of recordings (1986’s “Song X” through 1996’s “Quartet”) to our control. That means that we can look at each record on a case by case basis and figure out what to do with them. Some may benefit from remastering, some may find additional material being added.”

The first recording from Metheny Group Productions on Nonesuch will be a new Pat Metheny Group record on January 11th, 2005.

Great news,I hope PM keeps his word...and reissues them in order of release.As for the rest of the catalogue,there's no rush ;)

Anyone have any Ornette news?I see from the Harmoldic site that there's a live set from 69 coming out,label unspecified.

I'd love to know what's in the vaults and maybe this could produce another collaboration?

At the risk of sounding like a heretic and/or infidel, I'd be happy if they issued a second disk of alternate Song X mixes with Methany's guitar bypassing the Roland synth and Denardo muted completely.

That said, Mob Job is second only to Feet Music as my favorite Ornette song. Violin and all.

Edited by DTMX

The group (Ornette, Denardo, Pat Metheny and Charlie Haden) performed live at the Caravan of Dreams in Fort Worth on December 31, 1985, and they recorded the concert. A double set with the live performance would be most welcome.

I have it on good authority that a UNT guitar instructor, a devout Methenyite (in the worst way, if you know what I mean, and if you don't you're either very blessed or one of them yourself :g ), was at that gig and was so, uh....unprepared for the music that he spent a good portion of the evening in the men's room throwing up. I kid you not.

We need more music that makes irrationally happy people throw up.

My CD collection is built on that very principle.

did you tell your boss?

He knows that I listen to 'that' music, but not the extent of it. He's very conservative in his musical tastes. Bach, Brahms, Beethoven are fine - but he couldn't handle (or understand) Brötzmann. He was admiring a stack of CIMP-produced CDs on my desk one day and asked what the music was like. I told him it was very improvisational; he didn't ask to hear any of it. Which reminds me - I owe him reviews on three CDs he loaned me. One of them was of the Assad Brothers playing Piazzolla - thumbs up! :tup Probably need to pad that 'thumbs up' a little bit...

The group (Ornette, Denardo, Pat Metheny and Charlie Haden) performed live at the Caravan of Dreams in Fort Worth on December 31, 1985, and they recorded the concert. A double set with the live performance would be most welcome.

I have it on good authority that a UNT guitar instructor, a devout Methenyite (in the worst way, if you know what I mean, and if you don't you're either very blessed or one of them yourself :g ), was at that gig and was so, uh....unprepared for the music that he spent a good portion of the evening in the men's room throwing up. I kid you not.

I was there also and thought it was great. I think I remember your friend--was he the guy with his head in the toilet? I assumed at the time it was excessive New Year's revelry.

Is that in the worst way? ;)

Somehow I think not!

I don't know. I'm in the middle of archiving my collection of autographed guitar picks and cross-referencing each one with their corresponding setlist while wearing one of my many striped shirts and waiting for the video to 'The Longest Summer' to download....

^_^

fellow Metheniac here, but I probably won't upgrade any of the Geffen stuff unless theres bonus tracks, and honestly only 2 need a remastering. I won't upgrade "Song X" tho, I rarely play it, I "got" it after a few listens, but its not something I really care for. I'd rather hear the out stuff on "Trio-Live" or the inside-outside of "80/81". I'm not a big free fan, altho ppl like Metheny or Jarrett or Herbie are exceptions. Rachel the "Longest Summer" video is hilarious, Pat acts in it and plays an unplugged guitar synth in an abandoned house, lol.

Edited by CJ Shearn

Now that I think about it, I do recall meeting a guy there on another occasion who said he was a UNT guitar instructer. I asked him who he thought was the best guitarist out there and he named Frank Gambale. I think I listed some of my favorites (blues and jazz) and he looked at me in a condescending and pitying way. That ended any further communication.

Rachel the "Longest Summer" video is hilarious, Pat acts in it and plays an unplugged guitar synth in an abandoned house, lol.

It is rather cheesy, isn't it? (no, I'm not really d/l'ing it; I saw it a while ago but have no desire to add it to my collection of 'stuff'.) ^_^

I was there also and thought it was great. I think I remember your friend--was he the guy with his head in the toilet? I assumed at the time it was excessive New Year's revelry.

He was most assuredly not my friend! :g