CTI's in February 2005!!!

Big Al

Jazzmatazz lists the following CTI reissues for February 15 of 2005:

Ron Carter - Blues Farm (CTI/Epic/Legacy) Feb 15

Deodato-Airto - In Concert (CTI/Epic/Legacy) Feb 15

— with two previously unreleased bonus tracks

Paul Desmond - Pure Desmond (CTI/Epic/Legacy) Feb 15

Astrud Gilberto with Stanley Turrentine - Astrud Gilberto with Stanley Turrentine (CTI/Epic/Legacy) Feb 15

Idris Muhammad - House Of The Rising Sun (CTI/Epic/Legacy) Feb 15

Nina Simone - Baltimore (CTI/Epic/Legacy) Feb 15

Gabor Szabo - Macho (CTI/Epic/Legacy) Feb 15

— with three previously unreleased bonus tracks

Stanely Turrentine - Don't Mess With Mister T. (CTI/Epic/Legacy) Feb 15

— with three previously unreleased bonus tracks

Various Artists - CTI: The Soul Jazz Legacy - 2 CDs (CTI/Epic/Legacy) Feb 15

— compilation of tracks hand-picked by DJ Peter Young of London's The Soul Cellar

Anyone familiar with any of these? I'm looking frorward to Pure Desmond, but there's a lot on there that intrigues me: Gilberto/Turrentine, Idris, Gabor, Mr T, and Ron Carter. I just wish Dno Sebesky's Giant Box was on this list, but maybe another time!

Edited by Big Al

All these have been available for over a year in the UK znd Europe, IMO the winner is Turrentine's Mr. T, a killer record - his last for CTI, and most straight ahead & hard blowing.

Blues Farm is a nice date with Hubert Laws. Unfortunately, the very superior Spanish Blue, also a Carter with Laws record, remains unissued except for a long OOP - and very good - Japanese issie.

The Farrel title that most needs to be reissued is Outback with Elvin Jones and Corea - the best Farrel date, alas, it too has only a very good Japanese version which is OOP.

Blues Farm is ok-not essential or anything but ok.

The Desmond I think is pretty good. I recall hearing it years ago but I've never owned it.

The Idris Muhammad is utterly expendable. Don't waste your money-unless of course you'd like to make me an offer for my LP copy. lol.

Blues Farm and Spanish Blue are decent LPs but they don't get much play on my turntable which I guess means that they have faded in importance. Unless you are a Carter freak I'd say you can pass them up.

It's hard to believe the Farrell with Chic and John Mcloughlin has never been out on CD. This is one of my favorite LPs. I saw Farrell with Elvin a few times and always thought he was great. Another fine Farrell recording is what I think was his last. 'Skateboard Park' with Chic on piano came out on Don Schlitten's Xanadu label. Also check Farrell on Frank Butler's Xanadu LP 'Wheelin' and Deelin'' with Teddy Edwards joining Farrell in a two tenor front line. It was Xanadu 169, recorded October 12, 1978 and released in 1980. Skateboard Park was released as Xanadu 174. It was recorded January 29, 1979. and is a quartet date with Mob Magnusson on bass and Lawrence Marable on drums. Good stuff on these dates.

Yes, wouldn't the Farrell CTIs make a great Mosaic Select? Who's going to write to them and suggest it?

I agree that those Xanadus mentioned are very good. Xanadu. . . the little label that really could!

The Turrentine is great and Gilberto/Turrentine is okay. . . nice. . . nothing special. I haven't heard any of the others. I'm looking forward to the Desmond and the Deodata/Airto.

I have the UK version of "Mr. T," with the extra cuts, which actually add something to the already first-rate disc. There was a discusion somewhere about this; it sounds like Charles Earland on the extra material, very unusual.

My vote is for the Joe Farrell stuff. Some of it has been out (including "Outback"), but several ("Penny Arcade," "Upon This Rock") seem to have disappeared.

I have all of Desmond's quartet recordings with Bickert, and PURE DESMOND (their first recording together) remains my favorite- and one of my favorite jazz recordings, period. They went on to record a couple of great live sessions with Don Thompson and Terry Clarke the following year, but this studio session with Ron Carter and Connie Kay is a classic, IMO. I'm sorry to see that this apparently won't include any previously unissued material. :(

Edited by Jim R

Are they ever going to reissue the Joe Farrell album with John McLaughlin, Chick Corea, Dave Holland and Jack DeJohnette? :(

Guy

I just saw that album. I was going to play it (LP) on the radio last night but it sounded like the birth of new age. Maybe I listened too quickly.

I picked it out of our library because of that cast. Also I love the guy on tenor and he was playing too much flute.

Matt

Agree the Farrell CTI's are all a good listen, especially Outback with Elvin Jones, Chick Corea and Buster Williams - But who remembers Farrell anymore. A Mosaic Select would be a fine solution.

Ron Carter's best CTI All Blues with Joe Henderson, Roland Hanna and Billy Cobham, ist again missing - why do they always partly reissue some stuff that's already been available?

Edited by mikeweil

Guest akanalog

corea is on "outback", mikeweill, not hancock.

also the corea farrell mclaughlin etc all has been on CD before. i bought it a few years ago and didn't like it and sold it to another board member here. it is an american issue.

i think this album is a dissapointment-at least for me. it was. too much spacy stuff and not enough straight ahead rocking playing.

also the turrentine/gilberto can be found on CD on an old american issue.

"spanish blue" also had a life as an american CD issue-i bought this a long time ago and sold it. mediocre stuff.

I agree, "All Blues" is Carter's best, at least of his "CTI" sessions. (Maybe his best, period.) If you like Joe Farrell, his Contemporary session is available. The Muhammad is lousy, a real period piece, maybe a step above David Mathews' "Shoogie Wanna Boogie" (or whatever the title was), but in the running for the worst Kudo album.

The question of the organ player on the extra "Mr. T" cuts - I know Doug Payne(who knows his stuff) says it's Smith, as do the liners of the reissue. But the organist sounds exactly like Earland. Exactly. So, I'm not convinced. No big deal.

corea is on "outback", mikeweil, not hancock.

Of course - couldn't locate the cassette copy I have.

As for the titles previously on CD - that's why I complained they mostly reissue stuff that's already been on CD.

Spanish Blue is not earthshuttering, but not mediocre either. But it's a matter of taste.

p.s. one "l" in my name - I'm not related to Kurt Weill, unfortunately ...

PURE DESMOND (their first recording together) remains my favorite- I'm sorry to see that this apparently won't include any previously unissued material.  :(

Jim, i have the UK edition and according to the backcover "this CD reissue includes three previously unreleased alternate takes"

.Nuages (4:48)

.Squeeze Me (4:34)

.Till The Clouds Roll By (5:12)

this is confirmed by the great CTI discography from Doug

Marcus

Edited by marcoliv

Some new titles and some new dates:

Deodato-Airto - In Concert (CTI/Epic/Legacy) Feb 15 — with two previously unreleased bonus tracks

Astrud Gilberto with Stanley Turrentine - Astrud Gilberto with Stanley Turrentine (CTI/Epic/Legacy) Feb 15 — with two previously unreleased bonus tracks

Idris Muhammad - House Of The Rising Sun (CTI/Epic/Legacy) Feb 15 — with two previously unreleased bonus tracks

Nina Simone - Baltimore (CTI/Epic/Legacy) Feb 15

Gabor Szabo - Macho (CTI/Epic/Legacy) Feb 15 — with three previously unreleased bonus tracks

Stanely Turrentine - Don't Mess With Mister T. (CTI/Epic/Legacy) Feb 15 — with three previously unreleased bonus tracks

Various Artists - CTI: The Soul Jazz Legacy - 2 CDs (CTI/Epic/Legacy) Feb 15 — compilation of tracks hand-picked by DJ Peter Young of London's The Soul Cellar

Patti Austin - Body Language (CTI/Epic/Legacy) May 17

Paul Desmond - Pure Desmond (CTI/Epic/Legacy) May 17 — with five bonus tracks, two previously unreleased

Freddie Hubbard - First Light (CTI/Epic/Legacy) May 17 — one bonus track

Yusef Lateef - Autophysiopsychic (CTI/Epic/Legacy) May 17

Esther Phillips - Black-Eyed Blues (CTI/Epic/Legacy) May 17 — one previously unreleased bonus track

Jim, i have the UK edition and according to the backcover "this CD reissue includes three previously unreleased alternate takes"

this is confirmed by the great CTI discography from Doug

Marcus

Thanks Marcus (and Alan), for the info.

Just to break it down, here are the 10 tracks (a total playing time of only 46:05) that were included on my old CBS CD issue of PURE DESMOND:

squeeze me (4:31)

i'm old fashioned (4:55)

nuages (the alternate take- 5:13)

why shouldn't i (3:34)

everything i love (3:48)

warm valley (4:26)

till the clouds roll by (4:08)

mean to me (5:46)

//

+ bonus tracks:

song from m*a*s*h* (3:01)

wave (6:16)

=====

Here's the data from the Payne site:

Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: September 24, 1974

Paul Desmond (as); Ed Bickert (el-g); Ron Carter (b); Connie Kay (d); Don Sebesky (musical supervision).

a. Squeeze Me (Duke Ellington/Lee Gaines) - 4:27

b. Squeeze Me (alternate take) - 4:05

c. Till The Clouds Roll By (alternate take) - 5:12

Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: September 25, 1974

same.

d. Nuages (D. Reinhardt/J. Larue) - 4:19

e. Why Shouldn't I (Cole Porter) - 3:33

f. Till The Clouds Roll By (J. Kern/P.G. Wodehouse) - 4:06

Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: September 26, 1974

same.

g. I'm Old Fashioned (J. Kern/J. Mercer) - 4:53

h. Everything I Love (Cole Porter) - 3:39

i. Warm Valley (Duke Ellington) - 4:24

j. Mean To Me (R. Turk/F. Ahlert) - 5:06

k. Song From "M*A*S*H" (Suicide Is Painless) (Johnny Mandel) - 3:01

l. Wave (Antonio Carlos Jobim) - 6:16

m. Nuages (alternate take) - 5:13

=====

... and the info here is

The UK edition includes three previously unreleased alternate takes

and

Paul Desmond - Pure Desmond (CTI/Epic/Legacy) May 17 — with five bonus tracks, two previously unreleased

It appears that certain details don't add up, but the good news is, it looks like the new issue will include all 13 tracks (there's plenty of room). I hope so, at least. May instead of February... oh well. B-)

Edited by Jim R

All I can say to my pals over the pond AVOID the Lateef!!!! It's awful.

Certainly not for the fans of his Prestige, Savoy and Impulse LPs, not even for the Atlantic aficionados. Funky beats, solos on top, nice but nothing much is happening. Trying to sell some, he was. Don't blame him - the Seventies were a hard time for jazzers.