Favourite Bill Evans

mikeweil

Today I spinned this beautiful disc:

B000000YWO.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

which is my favourite Bill Evans from the 1970's - I like this much more than his trio recordings of the time. On first sight, an unlikely combination - Harold Land, Kenny Burrell, Ray Brown, and Philly Joe Jones - but it works out fine.

Similarly, I dig his late 1950's dates as a sideman for Hal McKusick or George Russell very much.

So what are your favourite Bill Evans dates in larger groups from quartet to big band - other than solo, duo, or trio?

Edited by mikeweil

They're sideman dates from first-stage Evans, but I think he's in fine form on George Russell's "Jazz Workshop" and "Jazz in the Space Age," and Eddie Costa's "Guys and Dolls Like Vibes."

:tup

Same favourites here! Add Evans' fantastic solo on Russell's All About Rosie on that third stream album on Columbia.

And maybe that date with Miles which yielded a great Evans solo on "Love for Sale" (I think there's touches of Monk in there).

ubu

Interesting piece of musicianal myopia: I'm reading Dan Morgenstern's new book, and it has an old interview with Evans, in which he puts down the duo/solo he did with Paul Bley on Jazz in the Space age, as indicative that free playing is too easy - well, that happens to be one of his best solos, IMHO -

On a tangent - I was less than impressed with the Evans-Russell 1972 Columbia collaboration titled the Living Time. Still have the Lp, so might give it another spin, but from what I remember it was a massive pile-up of [loud] sounds and Evans was the wrong man for the job.

His record with Toots Thielemans is perhaps the ultimate cocktail party album.