#1 Worst

cannonball-addict

Which male singer in the list can you absolutely not stand?  

99 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a dumb idea for a thread; focus on the positive, don't be such a pessimist. I may not like some of the posted vocalists, but I still respect them for the courage they have of trying to make it as jazz musicians. There's many better things to discuss. You obviously have too much time on your hands. I won't give you the satisfaction of participating in the poll.

What a dumb idea for a thread; focus on the positive, don't be such a pessimist. I may not like some of the posted vocalists, but I still respect them for the courage they have of trying to make it as jazz musicians. There's many better things to discuss. You obviously have too much time on your hands. I won't give you the satisfaction of participating in the poll.

Come on. All the guys I listed are making loads of money and they deserve a little if not a lot of heckling.

Matt

What a dumb idea for a thread; focus on the positive, don't be such a pessimist.  I may not like some of the posted vocalists, but I still respect them for the courage they have of trying to make it as jazz musicians.  There's many better things to discuss.  You obviously have too much time on your hands.  I won't give you the satisfaction of participating in the poll.

Come on. All the guys I listed are making loads of money and they deserve a little if not a lot of heckling.

Matt

BULLSHIT.

Kevin Mahogany is a fine, fine singer. You may question some of the material he's chosen to sing lately (though personally I enjoyed the vast majority of his Motown album) but he's still a damn good jazz singer.

I am seriously disappointed and amazed at some of your recent statements, like Hutcherson being a terrible vibist, and now this BULLSHIT.

What a dumb idea for a thread; focus on the positive, don't be such a pessimist.  I may not like some of the posted vocalists, but I still respect them for the courage they have of trying to make it as jazz musicians.  There's many better things to discuss.  You obviously have too much time on your hands.  I won't give you the satisfaction of participating in the poll.

Matt

No, certain NBA players deserve 'heckling', if you really want to heckle someone.

Just b/c they're 'making lots of money', doesn't mean you should automatically dis them. Miles and Duke and Pops and Trane and many others made lots of dough. Should we heckle them? I think you know the answer. Get a life and save the BS for another board, far, far, away.

I voted for "other" because I'm not really familiar with most of these singers.

Actually, I don't mind a thread here or there which might "bash" some musicians. We've got to be objective. Can't praise every thing.

It just sounds like you're cranking up your post count. :g

Actually, I don't mind a thread here or there which might "bash" some musicians.  We've got to be objective.  Can't praise every thing.

Not at all. I am supporting the concept of "negative jazz threads."

I've always try to say something, 7/4 unlike some people around here... :w

Check the history of my post counts and you'll see how "important" it is to me. I used to be in the top 10 for a long time. I really don't care where I rank.

Dan,

I'd like you to tell me if you honestly can defend any of the other guys on that list. Connick and Cincotti are a disgrace and the fact that they and the labels are making a killing off selling repackaged Sinatra is total BULLSHIT. Elling is full of himself and is successful because he looks good and has good audience rapport. His pitch is wretched and his vocalese could use a LOT of work. I agree maybe I went a little overboard with Mahogany but it's certainly not because of the R&B thing. I've seen him live. Have you? He's cheesy as hell and brings nothing original to the table, whereas Bey, Hendricks, Williams, and Scott are the originals of male jazz vocals. I've yet to see someone come close to any of these guys except for Gege Telesforo, who was introduced to me in BFT 19 by Mike Weil.

Matt

Actually, I don't mind a thread here or there which might "bash" some musicians.  We've got to be objective.  Can't praise every thing.

Not at all. I am supporting the concept of "negative jazz threads."

I've always try to say something, 7/4 unlike some people around here... :w

Check the history of my post counts and you'll see how "important" it is to me. I used to be in the top 10 for a long time. I really don't care where I rank.

Conn, methinks you doth protest too much.

Yes. There are questions as to whether some of these guys can really be called jazz singers.

Instrumentalists singing/Humming/grunting along can/should not be called jazz singers.

Besides that, I don't mind if they do - Jarrett would be a lot more boring to me if he didn't .... ;)

The one singer that always makes me wish someone would have stuffed his mouth with a stocking at the session is Milt Jackson. Simply horrifying. Terrible vibrato. Urghh!!! :rcry:rmad:

Matt

BULLSHIT.

Kevin Mahogany is a fine, fine singer. You may question some of the material he's chosen to sing lately (though personally I enjoyed the vast majority of his Motown album) but he's still a damn good jazz singer.

I am seriously disappointed and amazed at some of your recent statements, like Hutcherson being a terrible vibist, and now this BULLSHIT.

I don't like negativity either and I didn't see your post or thread about Hutcherson being a terrible vibist but if you think that and haven't experienced Bobby in his many settings, then I have serious doubts about your ability as a listener.

Of course, it's a pointless thread topic and it demeans us all but...

With the exception of Mark Murphy, I haven't heard any of these other charlatans and poseurs to the the throne. Is there a suggestion I suffer these other fools gladly to pick the worst one?

BTW, Mark Murphy is very legit and a real survivor in a field of top-drawer vocalists which has diminished rapidly these last few years i.e., Joe Williams, Jackie Paris, Mel Torme.