LF: 'Jazz West Coast' TOCJ Set

The five Jazz West Coast volumes are compulations of Pacifc Jazz and World Pacific material. When they were first issued on lp, a number of the tracks were either alternate takes or unissued tracks. I think most of the material can be found as bonus tracks on the various cd's that Cuscuna has done for BN and Mosaic of the PJ material. There may still be a few gems on them that you cant get in any other form.

PJ put out around fifteen to twenty compulations over their active years. I have most of them and they all have three or four tracks that are not on cd. A few that come to mind are are a couple of tracks with Harold Land paired with organist Jackie Davis, a track with Mastersounds pianist Richie Crabtree playing organ, a unissued track from the Pepper Adams Critic's Choice lp and some unissued Charlie Mariano/Jerry Dodgian. Also a number of the tracks that were on lp prior to the compulations have been pretty severely edited.

My favorite one because of the great foul up on it is Rodgers And Hart Gems. One of the tracks is Chet Baker playing Isn't It Romantic. When you put that track on Chet is playing The Lamp Is Low, which is not even a R&H song. I dont think PJ ever corrected the mistake, so there are still some casual jazz listeners walking around thinking that The Lamp Is Low is Isn't It Romantic.

Good old Pacific Jazz, they were the best.

I found original Pacific Jazz deepgrooves of these in a shop a few years ago. Great compilations, with some cool period cover art too (frogmen with tridents etc.) The shop even had mint copies of most of these on the Toshiba facsimile vinyl also - spoilt for choice !

Edited by sidewinder

They are indeed pretty cool cds. . . !  They have that homogenized smoothed over TOCJ sound though. . . . ^_^  <_<  :wacko:  :blink:

isn't that the worst?

Not half as bad as the bumped-up and aggressive highs of some non-TOCJ Blue Notes in my opinion. To each his own...

They are indeed pretty cool cds. . . !  They have that homogenized smoothed over TOCJ sound though. . . . ^_^  <_<  :wacko:  :blink:

isn't that the worst?

Not half as bad as the bumped-up and aggressive highs of some non-TOCJ Blue Notes in my opinion. To each his own...

its like having a bad head cold... :wacko:

Well, those aggressive, shrill-sounding non-TOCJ Blue Notes are giving me bleeding ears and severe headaches - I don't know what's worse... :huh:

Like I said, to each his own.

Edited by J.A.W.

The TOCJs sound okay, but I like the sound of the lps and some of the domestic PJ reissues better. . . . It's just personal opinion AND, I BELIEVE (that is in my opinion) dependent on the character of your system, as to what one might like. I used to really like the TOCJ sound, but now with my system it's a little on the unexciting side. But that's me and my system. . . I know that others prefer this sound.

isn't that the worst?

its like having a bad head cold... :wacko:

Well, those aggressive, shrill-sounding non-TOCJ Blue Notes are giving me bleeding ears and severe headaches - I don't know what's worse... :huh:

Like I said, to each his own.

maybe more like after having a stroke.... :eye:

I have only seen this set once or twice in the used stores, I think the price was around $60 or so but it may have been a little higher. I will keep my eyes open. I did recently pick up a very nice 2CD TOCJ set for less than $10 called 'Swing Journal Presents West Coast Jazz'. I really enjoy this set a lot.

• 1 year later...