How do you pronounce.........

sheldonm

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just a quick note about Airto Moreira and the eye-ear-toe thing

the A on this case does not sound like "eye" and the "toe" is incorrect too.

i'm attaching a wav file with the correct sound as i know a little bit of portuguese

Marcus

to my ears, the speaker in the clip you provided is pronoucning it as eye-air-toe.

• 4 weeks later...

main-ee-AIR-ee?

Commercial, yes, but tasty commercial. I think I prefer his "commercial" prodction work (like Carly simon's Torch and "fusion" playing (Steps Ahead in particular) to his "straight ahead" playing.

If you find your voice, go where it leads you no matter what, dig?

DJ friend of mine writes:

“main---------------near----------------------ee” That’s the way Buddy pronounced it anyway.

Hey Jim, I hear ya--I'll have to check out the later records. I remember a biographer once quoting an exchange between a journalist and a scholar--referring to a certain poet, the journalist asked, "But isn't he sentimental?" and the scholar said, "Well, yes, but that's his inspiration. If he weren't sentimental, he wouldn't be a poet." Or something like that.

Yeah, I'm really starting to get sick (and tired!) of stuff getting dissed simply because of what it is. Not for how well is is or isn't what it is, but simply because it is what it is. Such presumptiveness to presume that there is only one (or just a few) ways to be "great" or "beautiful" or (even) "hip"!

It's a big freakin' world, ya'know, and there's probably more beauty and happiness in it than we realize (a lot of it on the "small" side, sure, but a lot of smalls can add up to one big, if you let it...), simply because we're more concerned with trying to get appreciation than with showing it. That's a dead end street as far as I'm concerned, and it's really something I've been examining within myself lately.

Easier said than done, I know, but that's just the way that shit goes...

I agree with Marcus that it would be a stretch to say it sounds like "eye" and "toe". I'm not really good at English phonetic transcription, but how about "Ah-ihr-tooh"?

And "the speaker in the clip" - might I guess that it is señor Marcus himself?

yeah, it's me...nice voice isn't it? :P

i can guarantee that eye-ear-toe is far from the correct pronounciation in portuguese

Marcus

• 4 weeks later...

me again!

Ah-sump-cow is not good specially the "cow" sound because the correct spelling is Assunção

Neh-vez makes Neves to sound too spanish which is not accurate too

i'll post later a wav file with both names

Marcus

Edited by marcoliv

Yeah, I'm really starting to get sick (and tired!) of stuff getting dissed simply because of what it is. Not for how well is is or isn't what it is, but simply because it is what it is. Such presumptiveness to presume that there is only one (or just a few) ways to be "great" or "beautiful" or (even) "hip"!

It's a big freakin' world, ya'know, and there's probably more beauty and happiness in it than we realize (a lot of it on the "small" side, sure, but a lot of smalls can add up to one big, if you let it...), simply because we're more concerned with trying to get appreciation than with showing it. That's a dead end street as far as I'm concerned, and it's really something I've been examining within myself lately.

Easier said than done, I know, but that's just the way that shit goes...

:tup

That said, I still dislike Kenny G. But i will fight to the, um, discomfort my father's right to listen to it if he so desires. Unless I'm actually in the same room hearing it as well...