Best Organ + Big Band Recordings?

Matthew

I still think the best organ/bigband record is the Gerald Wilson and Richard Holmes record You Better Believe It on Pacific Jazz -- it's also on disk #1 in the Wilson Mosaic. Wilson was able to incorporate Holmes very nicely into that great big band of his, and what cuts! "Blues For Yna Yna", "The Wailer", "Straight Up and Down", just some classy, funky, fun going on. I just think Wilson was able to do a much better job then Oliver Nelson with Jimmy Smith, (and I love Nelson too) getting the organ in the big band mix. So, what are your fav Big Band/Organ records.

Edited by Matthew

I don't have a big band/organ recommendation, but on a related note (literally), Gerald's son Anthony has a really nice organ trio album that he put out a couple of years ago. B-3er will have to help me; I forget the name of it. It's very much in the Larry Goldings vein. Great guitar work, excellent ensemble, good program.

One of my favorite organ + big band LPs is Lloyd G. Mayers' Taste Of Honey on United Artists. Arrangements and orchestration by the aforementioned Oliver Nelson. My only complaint is that it is horribly short, something like 25 minutes.

Bill Doggett did an LP or two with a large-ish band that I've liked, though the titles escape me at the moment.

Anyone ever heard the Doggett LP where he is backed with a group pulled from James Brown's working band? Honky Tonk Popcorn -- not a big band, but a groooooovy LP, IMHO.