Raphe Malik

David Ayers

• 3 years later...

Raphe Malik died less than two years after he posted here (just once). He was 57. Listening to this Taylor album right now:

NDItOTMyNy5qcGVn.jpeg

I think Malik is excellent in this setting; of all the trumpet players who recorded with Taylor (though there weren't too many) I think Malik fit in the best. I've still never heard his own leader dates. His birthname was Laurence Mazel. 

I like all of the CDs I have with him as a major contributor. Was able to fill the Botticelli holes shortly after posting above as well. There's an interesting interview with him in an old issue of Opprobrium (maybe) that I need to dig out. I get the feeling his life was full of struggles but he made the best of it and played his ass off.

One of my favorite musicians. His eremite discs are never far out of rotation. 

Also— and this maybe deserves a cross post in a Marco Eneidi thread— you can currently purchase the Boticelli catalog, it is being looked after by Marco’s son. Takes a bit of digging through some oddly-priced archival effects, but they’re there. Very difficult to find most of these discs otherwise. 

https://www.botticellirecords.com/

I am willing to part with my copy of the long OOP CD "Storyline" by Raphe Malik / Cecil McBee / Cody Moffett (on Boxholder label).

Discogs entry: https://www.discogs.com/release/4007941-Malik-McBee-Moffett-Storyline .

Asking for €21 plus shipping. Send me a PM if interested. 

MC0zMTM3LmpwZWc.jpeg   

Edited by Д.Д.

• 1 year later...

I’ve been listening to my Malik-led discs in the last few days. 

I have thought back on this thread and Mr Malik’s arrival on it quite a few times since. 

Rehearing the music has reminded me how long his aesthetic has stayed with me. I still richly appreciate these CDs. 

Rereading the thread is also something. Apart from the (I guess) embarrassment of being caught spouting opinions by a ‘name’ musician, the thread itself has stayed with me too. 

Edited by David Ayers