Beehive Records Discography

Brad

In the last day or so, there's been some intereste in this label so I'd thought I'd post the Beehive Records Discography that's in in the jazzdiscography site.

This is more informational than anything else. Thanks to help of jazzydaddy and Sheldonm, I've managed to locate a couple of these discs.

Edited by Brad

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am reading that rght?? Only 17 titles? Wow. I thought there were a hell of a lot more than that. If it's only 17 titles, someone like Mosaic could easily make a nice box. "The Complete Bee Hive Recordings" has a nice ring to it. 17 LPs should fit onto 10 or 11 CDs. I only have 5 of them and of those 5, I only have a couple on vinyl, the rest on CD-R. A poster over on All About Jazz (sheldonm) was supposed to ask Jim Neumann about his stock of new vinyl but I never heard from him. I'd love to get my hands on these dates.

Later,

Kevin

Good to have a list of those albums... but with that short a list, you'd think it wouldn't be too much trouble to fill out the discography with personnel, song titles, etc. Maybe it's a work in progress.

I haven't heard too many of these. I never cared too much for the Sal Salvador titles, but on the other hand I think that Johnny Hartman session (which came out on CD in the form of two "Bridges Of Madison County" soundtrack CD's) was excellent.

No, it's not a work in progress in that way. It's just one of over several hundred label listings hosted on my site or related sites. Personnel you can look up in a general discography. One of the points of the project is that album titles frequently are not given in general discographies. Also, as most people know, it's nice to see the entire catalog of a label all in one place.

Mike

I am reading that rght?? Only 17 titles? Wow. I thought there were a hell of a lot more than that. If it's only 17 titles, someone like Mosaic could easily make a nice box. "The Complete Bee Hive Recordings" has a nice ring to it. 17 LPs should fit onto 10 or 11 CDs. I only have 5 of them and of those 5, I only have a couple on vinyl, the rest on CD-R. A poster over on All About Jazz (sheldonm) was supposed to ask Jim Neumann about his stock of new vinyl but I never heard from him. I'd love to get my hands on these dates.

Later,

Kevin

17 is the exact sum; I just counted my stash!!! I talk to Jim about cds everyweek; maybe one of these days he will say yes!!!! I forgot to ask him if he has any inventory left. I know he has copies of "The Beehive Session" which was pressed on red vinyl. If anyone is interested in that, I could see if he'll part with a few for a reasonable cost.

Edited by sheldonm

No, it's not a work in progress in that way. It's just one of over several hundred label listings hosted on my site or related sites. Personnel you can look up in a general discography. One of the points of the project is that album titles frequently are not given in general discographies. Also, as most people know, it's nice to see the entire catalog of a label all in one place.

Mike

I understand what you're saying, Mike. As I said, it's good to see a list like that available. I don't own a general discography (at least nothing comprehensive). With the resources I've collected over the years, I haven't felt a need or desire up to now. I know that would be a useful tool, but it's also more than I really feel I need at this point (and they've always been expensive). At any rate, it just seemed to me that considering the small output of this particular label, it would have been quite manageable (along the lines of an online artist discography by someone who only recorded 18 times) and even more useful to have posted this somewhere (perhaps on a separate page) as a complete label discography. I don't mean it as a "complaint" or anything, just an observation.

Well, it might happen. Shoot, I've already got two of the 17 done from my Art Davis discography. At least there aren't a billion and three reissues of this stuff. I myself don't own everything - but apparently Bill Fenohr does. Actually, you know what - if he or other Beehive collectors are game and can answer some questions (along the lines of my recent Blue Note inquiry - issue sequence, composers, timings), I'll finish it and have it online by Christmas. If our man Sheldon can hook me up with Jim Neumann to get production notes (detailed take information, etc.) I will promise you the moon.

D'oh!!! - what have I just said? I need another project like I need a hole in the head. Well, the offer stands. Be careful what you wish for.

Mike

Well, it might happen. Shoot, I've already got two of the 17 done from my Art Davis discography. At least there aren't a billion and three reissues of this stuff. I myself don't own everything - but apparently Bill Fenohr does. Actually, you know what - if he or other Beehive collectors are game and can answer some questions (along the lines of my recent Blue Note inquiry - issue sequence, composers, timings), I'll finish it and have it online by Christmas. If our man Sheldon can hook me up with Jim Neumann to get production notes (detailed take information, etc.) I will promise you the moon.

D'oh!!! - what have I just said? I need another project like I need a hole in the head. Well, the offer stands. Be careful what you wish for.

Mike

Mike,

I'll talk to Jim in the next couple days and see if he's game!

Mark

Mike

I've never done anything like you're suggesting but I'd be very happy to help out in any way I can, to get me feet wet , if that would be helpful.

Bee Hive BH 7006 Neo/Nistico Sal Nistico

Side 1

Anthropology (Gillespie-Parker) 8:03 *

You Don't Know What Love Is (Raye-DePaul) 7:23

Be My Love (Brodsky-Cahn) 7:40

Side 2

Blues For K.D. (Nistico) 6:17

Bambu (Nistico) 8:42

Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum (Shorter) 5:56 *

Sal Nistico, Tenor sax

Ted Curson, Trumpet, Fluglehorn*

Nick Brignola, Baritone sax

Ronnie Mathews, Piano

Sam Jones, Bass

Roy Haynes, Drums

Roy Haynes courtesy of Galaxy Records

Recorded: November 3, 1978

Master Sound Productions

Franklin Square, N.Y.

Production: Neumann/Norsworthy

Liner Notes: Jerry De Muth

Cover Art: Hank Hechtman

Photography: Joe Rizzi

Bee Hive BH 7008 Roots, Branches & Dances Ronnie Mathews

Side 1

Salima's Dance (Mathews) 7:40

It Don't Mean A Thing (Ellington-Mills) 6:50

Hi-Fly (Weston) 6:08

Side 2

Thews' Blues (Mathews) 7:00

Susanita (Drummond) :8:30

Reflections (Monk) 5:08

Ronnie Mathews, Piano

Frank Foster, Tenor sax and Soprano sax(Salima's Dance)

Ray Drummond, Bass

Al Foster, Drums

Azzedin Weston, Percussion (Salima's Dance and Susanita)

Recorded: December 7, 1978

Master Sound Productions

Franklin Square, N.Y.

Production: Susan and Jim Neumann

Cover Art: Hank Hechtman

Photography: Joe Rizzi

Liner Notes: Ira Gitler

Here are the times and dates for the cuts off The Bee Hive Session Unissued Tunes Vol, 1 BH 01

Side 1

Stablemates (Benny Golson) 10:30 Dec. 12, 1977

Bee Hive LP 12": BH 01 - The Bee Hive Session - Unissued Tunes Vol. One

Moonlight In Vermont (Karl Suessdorf, John Blackburn) 3:00 Aug. 12, 1980

On Green Dolphin Street (Bronislau Kaper, Ned Washington) 7:06 Mar. 24, 1978 Bee Hive LP 12": BH 01 - The Bee Hive Session - Unissued Tunes Vol. One

Side 2

Like Someone In Love (Jimmy Van Heusen, Johnny Burke) 7:27 Oct. 3, 1978 Bee Hive LP 12": BH 01 - The Bee Hive Session - Unissued Tunes Vol. One

Blues In F (Walter Davis) 4:33 June 19, 1979

walter davis, Piano

Walter Booker, Bass

Jimmy Cobb, Drums

June 19, 1979

Master Sound Studios

Franklin Square, N.Y.

Blues In The Closet [aka Collard Greens And Black-Eyed Peas] (Oscar Pettiford) 10:02 Mar. 24, 1978

Edited by wolff

Mike, just in case you were unaware, a bit of trivia regarding the CD release(s) of Hartman's ONCE IN EVERY LIFE (the two Malpaso/Warner Brothers soundtrack CD's of the Eastwood film). One of the tracks, "I See Your Face Before Me", was included on both THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY (45949) and REMEMBERING MADISON COUNTY (46259). On the latter, it sounds normal and has the correct run time. On the former, the track runs about five minutes in length (about 20 seconds longer), and Hartman's voice is obviously even lower than it was in reality! A technical glitch in the transfer. So, don't let anybody tell you there were two different takes of that tune.

Hey, I said it was trivia. ;)

(BTW, let me know if you need to know which tracks were on which CD).

Here's the info on you asked for on Dick Katz-In High Profile

Recorded at Nola Studio

Producer: Bob Porter

Recorded by: Malcolm Addey

a-01 Laverne Walk 4:14

a-02 Crazy She Calls Me 4:52

a-03A Few Bars For Basie (Katz) 4:56

a-04 But Not For Me 4:35

b-01 Cousin Mary 6:07

b-02 Friday The 13th 4:51

b-03 Lament 5:26

b-04 No Matter What (Katz) 4:32

All arrangements by Dick Katz

Personnel

Crazy She Calls Me, But Not For Me, Cousin Mary, Lament

Dick Katz(p) Marc Johnson(b) Al Harewood(d)

Laverne Walk,A Few Bars For Basie, Friday The 13th, No Matter What

Add Jimmy Knepper(tb) Frank Wess(fl,ts A Few Bars For Basie only)

Release year 1984

I don't think i forgot anything.

Edited by Bill Fenohr

Mike,

I will fill in some blanks:

Sal Salvador-March 24,1978

Location-Blue Rock Studio NYC

a a-01-12:56

b a-02-4:56

c a-03-6:34

d b-01-6:42

e b-02-6:06

f b-03-11:10

Omit Brignola and Bert on b and e.

Curtis Fuller-Dec. 6,1978

a a-01-3:40

b a-02-10:11

c a-03-8:00

d b-01-7:40

e b-02-7:11

f b-03-5:42

Nick Brignola-June 19,1979

a a-01-6:54

b a-02-6:30

c a-03-5:54

d b-01-10:34

e b-02-9:24

Ronnie Mathews-Sept.21,1979

a a-01-8:48

b a-02-5:48

c a-03-6:16

d b-01-4:58

e b-02-6:16

f b-03-5:37

g b-04-4:45

b is solo piano

omit Ford and Hardman on f

New York Jazz Quartet-July 27,1981

Locaton-PS Studios, Chicago

a a-01-8:55

b a-02-4:15

c a-03-6:20

d b-01-7:07

e b-02-3:51

f b-03-8:27

Freemam,Jordan,Touff-Sept 5,1981

Location-PS Studios, Chicago

a a-01-7:14

b a-02-6:19

c a-03-6:11

d b-01-6:51

e b-02-5:31

f b-03-3:28

g b-04-6:48

On lp Kenny Dorham is given credit for Lotus Blossom

Triva: Paul Serrano engineered the date

Junior Mance-Dec. 13,1983

a-6:55

b-5:12

c-6:15

d-7:35

e-5:59

f-5:51

Arnett Cobb-June 27,1984

a a-01-6:45

b a-02-5:17

c a-03-5:21

d b-01-9:59

e b-02-6:54

f b-03-2:24

omit Joe Newman and Al Grey on a,b,e,f

Clifford Jordan-Aug. 3,1984

Location-Vanguard Studio NYC

a a-01-5:52

b a-02-12:00

c a-03-5:23

d b-01-5:44

e b-02-7:07

f b-03-6:49

Red Rodney plays trumpet on d, not f.

I will give them all a listen in the next couple of days to see if there are any changes that need to be made on who plays on what songs.

Edited by Bill Fenohr

OK - I've made all changes and will have the new version up later this afternoon. If I could get release years for all the ones that are missing, that would be super. This means everything except 7000, 7001, 7009, 7012, 7016. Just dotting the i's.

Also - is studio correct for 7007? I would assume so, but.....

Thanks for the great teamwork.

Mike

P.S. - Manhattan Project was one I already had from my Art Davis work. It's in there, complete.

Edited by Michael Fitzgerald

Mike,

Here are a couple more changes on who is playing when.

Sal Nistico-Nov.3,1978

Omit Brignola and Curson on b and c

Curtis Fuller-Dec.6,1978

Omit Nistico on e.

I did not notice you were listing what songs are on each side of the lp. I have that info if you want me to go back and edit the long post.