Beehive Records Discography

Brad

I would again be happy to put together a definitive discography on this label (which would mean only Uptown's original sessions, not their reissues - the Mingus, for example), particularly if previously unknown session details could be included.

There are around 50 issues. I find that I have six sessions already entered from research on Kenny Barron, Bill Triglia, and Slide Hampton.

But shoot, if some others would take the time to download BRIAN and help out, it would make things a lot easier. Those people could each enter the sessions for the albums they own and then export and email the XML files so we could get everything in one central database to create the master listing. The technology is there, the interest is there, it just takes the effort.

Mike

Yes....... We got a YES from Mike!!!! :tup

I see that BRIAN is available for download free of charge

via a link on your website.

I reviewed the Kenny Barron, Bill Triglia, and Slide Hampton

discographies on your website and was able to find the

details to the following Uptown releases:

Johnny Coles/Frank Wess "Two At The Top" UP 27.14

Maria Muldaur "Transblucency" UP 27.25

Don Joseph "One Of A Kind" UP 27.23

Claudio Roditi "Claudio" UP 27.27

Did I miss a couple? No sense redoing work that's already been done.

Don

Beside the other two sessions mentioned by Mike, Dameronia's Look Stop and Listen (through the Benny Powell Discography) is there.

I have (I believe) other Dameronia LP as well as the Social Call CD of Charlie Rouse/Red Rodney, issued in 2003. Does that cd count? It was recorded in 1984 but apparently never issued until now. If it counts, I'll try to download the software and do those two sessions unless someone with more knowledge would otherwise prefer to do it.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, the PJJ Dameronias will eventually be reissued but the material needs to be remixed from the session tapes and some other issues have popped up (not legal) to delay the project. I suggested the reissue of Social Call when it became obvious the Dameronia stuff was delayed. The only other Uptown vinyl reissued so far are the Kenny Barron and Barry Harris dates.

Beside the other two sessions mentioned by Mike, Dameronia's Look Stop and Listen (through the Benny Powell Discography) is there.

I have (I believe) other Dameronia LP as well as the Social Call CD of Charlie Rouse/Red Rodney, issued in 2003.  Does that cd count?  It was recorded in 1984 but apparently never issued until now. If it counts, I'll try to download the software and do those two sessions unless someone with more knowledge would otherwise prefer to do it.

The other Dameronia LP was entitled "To Tadd With Love".

It was issued as UP 27.11

If you have that one Brad why don't you try

to enter the info. in BRIAN. Outside of Mike the rest

of us are all new to this.

Another great Uptown release is a Charlie Rouse date featuring

Sahib Shihab entitled "Soul Mates" (UP 27.34).

Although recorded in 1988 I believe this one stayed in the vaults

for several years before its release on CD in 1993.

There is some great blowing on this one by Claudio Roditi!!

I'll try downloading BRIAN and entering the details to that session.

I have a few others besides those that have already been mentioned

including Carl Fontana's album (The Great Fontana; UP 27.28).

I also believe I have somewhere the first album released on the

label (UP 27.01); a 1979 session by Joe Thomas of Jimmy Lunceford fame.

Don

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Yes.....

I just dug out my copy of "...And A Little Pleasure"

duets from 1981 with J.R. Monterose and Tommy Flanagan; UP 27.06

I forgot that this album was originally released on the Uptown label.

Besides the beautiful music there are a couple of wonderful photos

from the session; 1 on the cover, the other on the back.

I believe the more common issue of this session is probably the

Reservoir reissue (LP & CD I believe).

I'm not quite sure how or why that session was reissued under

Reservoir. Anyone out there know the story?????????

Don

Yup, the PJJ Dameronias will eventually be reissued 

The PJJ/Dameronia LPs will be reissued as CDs? That will make my day and year and here's hoping this happens soon!! I can't listen to these enough. A very kind and generous jazzwestcoast newsgroup poster copied his LPs to CD-R for me. My original albums are badly scratched, just like my LP copy of "Baritone Madness." I started seriously listening to jazz in my late teens, but didn't begin to seriously take care of my collection 'til it was too late! Thought I do have some Blue Note LPs in pristene condition, as I purchased them at an older and wiser age!

I'm grateful to have heard PJJ/Dameronia twice - once at a Tadd Dameron Tribute at Alice Tully Hall in 1988 and once at the now-defunct club in Greenwich Village, Lush Life.

Marla

• 2 months later...

Maybe we can interest Concord now? After winning all those grammies last night and having just acquired Prestige recently, who knows what other reissue material they'd like to get their hands on. I am surprised no majors have approached this guy and asked for the collection. These days you could easily release the whole catalog as one box set. Or you could do it ArtistShare style!

• 3 years later...

Hi everybody! I'm new here & hoping you can help me out.

I'm trying to do some research on Master Sound studios, and also photography by Joe Rizzi. Google lead me here so it seems like a great place to ask!!

Does anyone have any info on either the studio or Joe Rizzi? Any album credits? Any other directions I could aim my search?

Thanks so much!

J.

Here a link for Beehive Records Discography

Jim Neumann, the label owner is still around in Chicago, I believe. Chuck Nessa and Mark Sheldon can help.

Here's a article about him and his dontation to Oberlin:

The Roof That Jazz Is Raising

Could photographer Joe Rizzi be related to the owner of Master Sound Ben Rizzi?

Edited by marcello