More Water/Blue Note reissues?

Stefan Wood

NEW Lou Donaldson - Say It Loud (Water 143) Jan 11

— remastered reissue of 1968 Blue Note album; with Blue Mitchell, Jimmy Ponder, Charles Earland and Leo Morris

NEW Jack McDuff - Who Knows What Tomorrow's Gonna Bring? (Water 143) Jan 11

— remastered reissue of 1970 Blue Note album; with Randy Brecker, Ola Dara, Dick Griffin, John Pierson, Ray Draper, Joe Beck, Paul Griffin, Tony Levin, Donald McDonald, Mike Mainieri

If this is true, these should be VERY nice reissues! I really like the "Say It Loud" lp. Typical Donaldson greasy late 60's funk!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now how about that?

These two are some real nice finds for an old lp collector as I used to have em but sold them too when the LP clearout happened so they will be more than welcome visitors back in my house I can tell you.

Maybe not the best of Blue Note but they were nice all the same.......any idea where we can get them over here in 'yurp' ?

Andy

Yes, I love the idea that the Water reissues are items that we haven't seen in the U.S. or Japan for the most part in a nice CD reissue. Can't believe Say It Loud hasn't even had a Japanese appearance on CD that I know of. Seems like they've got it all over there. So these are a real nice addition. Not just an "upgrade," which I'm beginning to buy into (literally) less and less.

Glad to see that Water is continuing to release these obscure BN titles. I've developed a fascination with and an appreciation for the BNs from this era. I've got the Gales and Reuben Wilson. Had the Phantom on the Mosaic. All nicely done.

I sure hope that sales will support future releases.

What is it with Blue Note/EMI anyway? They ignore some of their later deep-catalog titles and yet allow RVG carte blanche to RE-MURDER their earlier classics for the 2nd or 3rd time. Most anything that says 'RVG Re-master' is the kiss of death and bleeding ears.

As I said in a previous thread, RVG is the Joe Paterno of jazz re-issue industry. And like 'Joe-Pa', he shoulda quit in 2002 while he still had a grasp of reality. Even Johnny Carson realized this almost too late -- "It's all in the timing."

Should we take a poll on the timing of Rudy's final exit?

Well I don't agree with you about the RVGs, but I don't want to argue with you about it. I'm really enjoying this Water reissue series; I think the production values are better than the Blue Note cds in many ways, and if they wish to continue licensing these, fine with me. The Phantom sounds so much better in the Water than the Mosaic Select version! And the Gales sound phenomenal. Booklets too are better than EMIs.

I can't believe the Lou Donaldson (at least) doesn't merit a Blue Note release. 

Hi Ray,

Actually, I was thinking about this just yesterday, and I noticed in the BN Discography that every song on Donaldson's Say It Loud! album has been out on CD in some form or another (scattered across a few different releases)... except for one tune listed as "unissued" in the discography. I hope that Water is allowed to include that unissued track.

I am looking forward to these Water reissues! The two Gales BN sound great, and I'm going to pick up the Wilson BN this week!

Cheers,

Shane F.

Edited by Indestructible!

It makes me very happy to see this reissue label making a good impression on you guys. I've been following 4 Men With Beards for a few years. It can take a while for labels like this to build up momentum, but if they stick look for better things in the future. They make me think of Sundazed, Classic Records, Speakers Corner in their earlier stages. Someone has got to give the Public Domain labels some competition.

These 2 titles caught me a bit off guard... well one of them did. I was told it was going to be the Donaldson date and Freddie Roach's "Brown Sugar". I wonder if we'll see "Brown Sugar" soon?

Later,

Kevin

That strikes me as sort of weird. Hasn't every other Water title been from the post-Alfred Lion era?