More Water/Blue Note reissues?

Stefan Wood

Andy, I usually pick up my Water releases through Spin records in Newcasle, a very nice outfit with a Mojo bias (what ever that is ) but much else besides. I see they have just listed Waters John Fahey release live at the Matrix. :tup

And that Fahey release is top-notch! Decent sound, bizarre asides from Fahey, and superb versions of my favorite tunes of his.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I don't agree with you about the RVGs, but I don't want to argue with you about it. I'm really enjoying this Water reissue series; I think the production values are better than the Blue Note cds in many ways, and if they wish to continue licensing these, fine with me. The Phantom sounds so much better in the Water than the Mosaic Select version! And the Gales sound phenomenal. Booklets too are better than EMIs.

Agree on all counts. The Waters are just simply produced with a higher level of detail and quality.

So what's the best way to lobby for specific BN obscure titles to be released through Water?? You know -- the later stuff that BN isn't gonna touch with a ten-foot poll (did I hear someone mention Kenny Cox??)

E-mails to Michael at Mosaic?? The "tom@bluenote" thread on AAJ?? Somebody at Water?? (and who??).

Who's got the biggest influence in deciding what gets out on Water?? (I'm guessing Michael, personally.) Anybody know??

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Yes Etherbored, I have this and played it the other day. A curio, very much of its time, I wish there was much more of this psych/ Jazz around, I much prefer it to fusion. My suggestion-get both Eddie Gales, put 1 on ,follow it up withFischer and then the second Gale-a seamless fit!, in fact you could also play and Lother and the Handpeople, and dream of more innocent times maaaan, Its worth the investment! But then I have curious tastes! :w

thanks tony!

based on the the overwhelmingly positive remarks, i'm gonna to start with

'a groovy situation', 'the phantom' (*especially* because i want a better pressing than the select), and 'circles' to round it out.

i wasn't aware that water treated the catalog so well. wouldn't it be something if this began happening to other titles we cherish...

:winky:

-e-

rooster ties,just a guess, for a water/blue note release request, send it to water. i would think that they would have the final say as to what they release.

maybe blue note has given them a list of recordings that bn has no intention of ever releasing. then they go from there and pick out which titles to release.

if this is the case,i'd guess that the two kenny cox recordings are on the list, along with jeremy steig-wayfaring stranger, and i've already e-mailed them about that one.

hell,send an e-mail to everyone that you mentioned, i don't think it would hurt.

sure, well i like jeremy steig and i like jazz flute. i have a copy of this,burned from an album, imo, this is easily the best flute album that blue note released. (i believe that this was recorded for solid state, but blue note did release this in the 4000 series). i'm no jazz critic,so no review,but i know that i like this album alot. i would buy an official release in an instant.

All the Steig LPs on Solid State or Blue Note were very good - it took me years to hunt them all down. These, together with the double LP for Groove Merchant and perhaps the Mike Manieri tracks with Steig tossed in, would make a perfect Mosaic - although I seriously doubt we will ever see this.

The later albums were released on Blue Note after they had bought Solid State - seems like they shared the unissued material with Sonny Lester, who issued some Steig and Chick Corea on Groove Merchant that was recorded before that time.

An afterthought - would the Steigs really fit that well into the Water reissue scheme? They seem to be leaning more toward rock and soul, rather than the experimental jazz funk Steig did. OTOH, where does Eddie Gale fit in here (I have to admit I haven't heard them)?

Just a thought. :w

Edited by mikeweil

So what's the best way to lobby for specific BN obscure titles to be released through Water??  You know -- the later stuff that BN isn't gonna touch with a ten-foot poll (did I hear someone mention Kenny Cox??)

E-mails to Michael at Mosaic??  The "tom@bluenote" thread on AAJ??  Somebody at Water?? (and who??).

Who's got the biggest influence in deciding what gets out on Water??  (I'm guessing Michael, personally.)  Anybody know??

I suggest you e-mail your wishes to Water.

AFAIK any label decides upon what they would like to reissue and then asks whether it is available for licensing - or the label pubishes a list of titles available for licensing.

Edited by mikeweil

Off the subject , but the "Columbia" Jeremy Steig was listed for release on "Collectables" about a year ago, but apparently never made it. It's a good one, too - more traditional than his later stuff, Denny Zeitlin on piano, they do mostly jazz standards, like "Blue 7."

there were two albums, flute fever & monium, on one collectables cd. i had it on preorder from cduniverse. when it was cancelled :( ,i e-mailed collectables to ask why, can't remember the answer.

to mikeweil, i would not care if wayfaring stranger comes out on water,as a rare groove,a connoisseur, an rvg, toshiba, etc.,as long as it comes out. as to how you would classify the eddie gale recordings, beats the hell out of me?i do have both and i like both. :tup

Edited by mike casinghino

Mike, I think Steig would fit in real nice-look what else rock and left field they have in their catalogue,Holy Model Rounders, Pearls Before Swine, Fahey, Patty Waters, they are seriously nuts and they probably are the only current label where I would like to obtain everything they put out!-So by all means Steig-and, my vote, both Kenny Cox!

Many years ago I had a Reprise album Jeremy Steig and the Satyrs. And still have a flyer from the Avalon ballroom where they headline over the Sons of Champlin and the Fourth Way... cant stand the recent CTI Steig reissue though.

rob, thats wild!! i've always loved jazz flute and i think that jeremy steig's solid state/blue note releases deserve to be reissued on cd.

on the subject of cd's, jeremy steig has released a cd in recent months called, improvised, it is a duo with vic juris on guitar. i don't have it yet(just found out about it)but will purchase it shortly.