June Listening

Out2Lunch

Lets start the month off right with.........................

Bennie Green-Mosaic Select

Randy Weston Trio-Get Happy

Randy Weston Trio-Destry Rides Again

Randy Weston-Berkshire Blues

Jazz Crusanders-Best Of...

Solal/Griffin-In & Out

Ernie Wilkins Almost Big Band-On The Roll

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On an Annette Peacock kick recently, so ...

• Paul Bley: Ramblin' (BYG/Sunspots) — Nice remastering on this '02 edition. Fine thinking by Barry Altschul here.

• Marilyn Crispell: nothing ever was, anyway — One of my personal choices for a "crown." Gorgeous stuff in pristine sound.

• Paul Bley: Annette — Still trying to get used to Koglmann on this one. So far, I still like the tracks without him best.

• Paul Bley: Turning Point — John Gilmore. Nuff said.

I also have Annette's own An Acrobat's Heart, which is a very fine record, but I haven't spun it yet. I like both her piano playing and singing. If Irene Aëbi sang like Annette (their approach seems marginally related), I'd probably have a lot more Lacy records.

Late last night I listened to Ben Webster's Did You Call? for the first time in about 15 years, and found that I had seriously undervalued this record in my previous listenings. It was more or less Ben's swan song, and he left us with a fine, fine recording.

The John Lewis Record with Putte Wickman and Red Mitchell - Putte Wickman trills and toots and wails and sings up a great version of "Yesterdays".

Today: Terry Allen: Lubbock (On Everything) - A collection of quirky country-influenced Texas songs written and sung by a Texas artist/songwriter who has a unique view of the world (or at least, unique to a Yankee - perhaps not so unique if you're a Texan). A good friend recommended this to me about 20 years ago, and I could never get into it until today - there's a time for everything.

Steve Lacy/Charlie Rouse/Roswell Rudd/Don Cherry/Richard Davis/

Ben Riley/Ed Blackwell/Muhal Richard Abrams/Barry Harris/Nat Hentoff: Interpretations of Monk - discs 1&2.

On an Annette Peacock kick recently, so ...

• Paul Bley: Ramblin' (BYG/Sunspots) — Nice remastering on this '02 edition. Fine thinking by Barry Altschul here.

• Marilyn Crispell: nothing ever was, anyway — One of my personal choices for a "crown." Gorgeous stuff in pristine sound.

• Paul Bley: Annette — Still trying to get used to Koglmann on this one. So far, I still like the tracks without him best.

• Paul Bley: Turning Point — John Gilmore. Nuff said.

I also have Annette's own An Acrobat's Heart, which is a very fine record, but I haven't spun it yet. I like both her piano playing and singing. If Irene Aëbi sang like Annette (their approach seems marginally related), I'd probably have a lot more Lacy records.

I don't like Annette Peacock's vocalising on Marilyn Crispell's otherwise brilliant Nothing Ever Was, Anyway. Music of Annette Peacock; I always skip that track.

I agree with you re Irene Aëbi's singing, though.

Edited by J.A.W.

Hans — Indeed, Annette's voice is certainly an acquired taste. I think she sings a little "better" on her own ECM release, but if you can't into that track (on Crispell's record), you can probably safely avoid An Acrobat's Heart. At least Peacock doesn't pretend to have an operatic voice. :lol:

Ghost — If you have and like Bley's Closer, you'll like Ramblin'. While I think the former is probably more essential, the latter has one of the most swingin' versions of Ornette's composition I've ever heard. It also has yet another beautiful version of Carla Bley's "Ida Lupino," one of my favorite compositions period. The hatOLOGY disc is certainly nice, but I don't know it well enough to recommend.

There are a few more Bley trio recordings from the 60's that have yet to be reissued on disc. Bley until circa 1970 is probably one of my all-time favorite artist/periods in jazz (piano trio-wise). I say "circa 1970" mainly because I don't know his later recordings well enough to comment one way or another. I do wish, though, that the guy had a consistent recording contract back in the 60's. His Footloose on Savoy, from 1962, seems way ahead of its time.

June 1:

Marilyn Crispell - Nothing Ever Was, Anyway. Music of Annette Peacock - 2CD, ECM; Late's earlier post inspired me.

Schubert - Piano Sonata in C Minor, D958 - Murray Perahia - 2CD, Sony; this great set also contains the Sonata in A Major, D959, and the Sonata in B-flat Major, D960. Recommended!

Boogaloo Joe Jones Sweetback

Audio Alchemy 1&2

Charles Earland Leaving This Planet

Grover Washington, Jr. Feels So Good/A Secret Place

Heading In The Right Direction: Soul Jazz From Australia

Syl Johnson, FUN-KY is right!!! :rhappy:

Lars Gullin, IN GERMANY 1955, '56, '59

Have you heard any of the other volumes in the Anagram Gullin series?

(A Gullin Discography can be found here: http://www.gullin.net/lgdisco.htm - do a word search for 'Anagram').

The man behind the Anagram label, I think his name is David Reid, is quite a character. He runs a record shop, Anagram Records, just two blocks away from me. I've made many fantastic finds at his shop, but unfortunately it seems to be closed 9 out of 10 times I'm passing by.