Before OJCs go away

Chuck Nessa

I remember a big ‘splurge’ on these OJC CDs back in the early days of this Board, or maybe it was with the BNBB? One of the US sellers was clearing out many of the more obscure titles for a few bucks a pop. I remember putting in a big order via a kind member of the board. Years later, YOPP Covent Garden, London branch over here also did a clearout of much of the catalogue at £3 per disk and they were also offering some of the box sets too. ‘Fill Your Boots’ time !

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I remember a big ‘splurge’ on these OJC CDs back in the early days of this Board, or maybe it was with the BNBB? One of the US sellers was clearing out many of the more obscure titles for a few bucks a pop. I remember putting in a big order via a kind member of the board. Years later, YOPP Covent Garden, London branch over here also did a clearout of much of the catalogue at £3 per disk and they were also offering some of the box sets too. ‘Fill Your Boots’ time !

IIRC, for a couple of years after the Concord liquidation, the US vendor Newbury Comics had many sales and was the "go to" destination for OJC CDs...I wonder if Newbury Comics is still around; haven't noticed them for many years.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

I think the Limited was predicated on how many they thought they would sell, and therefore charging a higher price for fewer units of anticipated volume. Those Coltrane and Miles discs were going to sell for all eternity.  I think I recall a Bennie Green that was in the "Limited" line and I can understand that it sold fewer.

Also there's just a plain old element of marketing there. If we say it's Limited maybe you'll shell out the extra bucks.

There really was a certain insanity on their part for some of those OJC-LE's, much as I was thankful for them.  Did they really expect to make back their cost on things like John Dennis and Duane Tatro?

51 minutes ago, T.D. said:

IIRC, for a couple of years after the Concord liquidation, the US vendor Newbury Comics had many sales and was the "go to" destination for OJC CDs...I wonder if Newbury Comics is still around; haven't noticed them for many years.

Newbury Comics - that was the place.

The Duane Tatro ‘Jazz For Moderns’ was one I picked up at their big sale too.

Collectables/Oldies.com also had a ton of OJC's at $2.99 each several years ago, and I loaded up (including the Dennis and the Tatro, both of which I still own).  I live 10-15 minutes from their warehouse, pass it on highway often.  Wish it was open to the public.

• 2 weeks later...

Craft has announced that OJCs are back , at least in vinyl.  They are not inexpensive ($39).

“ORIGINAL JAZZ CLASSICS is back! The acclaimed reissue series — first launched in 1982 under Fantasy Records — released 850+ jazz albums over the course of three decades, making titles from legendary labels like Prestige, Riverside, Contemporary, Galaxy, and Jazzland more widely available to both seasoned jazz aficionados and new listeners. We’re thrilled to welcome the next era of OJC with a committed focus on audiophile-quality sound with two classic albums: Workin' With the Miles Davis Quintet and Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane, available April 28 and May 26, respectively.

Both reissues have been cut from the original master tapes (AAA) by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio, pressed on 180-gram vinyl at RTI, and housed in a replica of their original tip-on jackets. Both titles will also be reissued digitally in 192/24 HD audio.”

Original Jazz Classics

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Craft has announced that OJCs are back , at least in vinyl.  They are not inexpensive ($39).

Shocking!  They're not $5.98 anymore???  :P 

Ni03MTg3LmpwZWc.jpeg

Incidentally, $5.98 in 1986 -- when that Jaws OJC LP came out -- is equivalent to about $16.32 today (per an inflation calculator I just used).  Not even in the same ballpark as $39.

Since CDs were on the rise, vinyl was CHEAP back in the 80s.  Today?  Not so much.

OTOH, I ordered two new LPs yesterday that are unavailable on CD.  Thirty bucks a pop.  And I expect that I'll enjoy them thoroughly

Whachagonnado?!?  :crazy:

Edited by HutchFan

5 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Shocking!  They're not $5.98 anymore???  :P 

Ni03MTg3LmpwZWc.jpeg

Incidentally, $5.98 in 1986 -- when that Jaws OJC LP came out -- is equivalent to about $16.32 today (per an inflation calculator I just used).  Not even in the same ballpark as $39.

Since CDs were on the rise, vinyl was CHEAP back in the 80s.  Today?  Not so much.

OTOH, I ordered two new LPs yesterday that are unavailable on CD.  Thirty bucks a pop.  And I expect that I'll enjoy them thoroughly

Whachagonnado?!?  :crazy:

Times have changed. Prices are comparable to TPs and this seems their effort to grab some of that market. 

38 minutes ago, Brad said:

Times have changed. Prices are comparable to TPs and this seems their effort to grab some of that market. 

You're right, of course. Back in the Eighties, OJC LPs weren't positioned in the marketplace as "audiophile products" -- but now they are. Times change, things change.

27 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

And by 2047 most of those 800 plus releases will be out in the new vinyl series!

I've got a hunch that this particular OJC reissue series will NOT be comprehensive like the last one was.

Like Brad suggests, it'll probably be more comparable to BN Tone Poet series, just skimming a handful of titles off the top of the catalog.

5 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Like Brad suggests, it'll probably be more comparable to BN Tone Poet series, just skimming a handful of titles off the top of the catalog.

Agreed—which is even more of a reason to keep searching for the OJC titles on compact disc that you/one didn't get to back in the day.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

And by 2047 there will be a superdooper dogears digitalmicrochip implant where everything is available on demand, although whose demand is yet to be determined. 

I will probably be taking a dirt nap by then. 

On 2/15/2023 at 6:47 AM, sidewinder said:

Newbury Comics - that was the place.

The Duane Tatro ‘Jazz For Moderns’ was one I picked up at their big sale too.

yep, bought loads of OJC cutouts from Oldies & Newbury especially when shipping rates were reasonable to Australia (plus we also had the dirt cheap "surface" shipping option ie 12-16 weeks - I never minded waiting). 

5 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I've got a hunch that this particular OJC reissue series will NOT be comprehensive like the last one was.

But with the difference that the Tone Poet series does tend to concentrate on the more obscure items.