Before OJCs go away

Chuck Nessa

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of Jaki Byard, don't overlook 'The Jaki Byard Experience' with Rahsaan Roland Kirk while it's still available. One to enjoy!

I emphatically second this recommendation. I picked up this album almost by accident, but it's great. Especially "Parisian Thoroughfare" and "Memories of You".

Guy

Speaking of Jaki Byard, don't overlook 'The Jaki Byard Experience' with Rahsaan Roland Kirk while it's still available. One to enjoy!

I emphatically second this recommendation. I picked up this album almost by accident, but it's great. Especially "Parisian Thoroughfare" and "Memories of You".

Guy

I'll third it. Got it a few weeks back and am having a hard time getting it out of the changer.

This thread is the best and worst thing that's happened in a long time. I'm making a want list based on everyones' recommendations as well as my own research. I don't know how I'm gonna afford all these CDs. But at the same time, not buying them seems like it would be a huge mistake.

'The Jaki Byard Experience' with Rahsaan Roland Kirk while it's still available. One to enjoy!

Guy

I'll third it. Got it a few weeks back and am having a hard time getting it out of the changer.

This thread is the best and worst thing that's happened in a long time.

I'll 4th the Byard.

As people are thinking big, don't forget alldirect. "Regular" OJCs are $8.65, the limiteds $10.68. Free shipping over $99. I put in an order for 19 discs mentioned in this thread last night. :blink::g:excited: (My 1st multi-emoticon-in-a-row post, but in this case it's warranted.) And hey, if they don't go OOP, I've improved my quality of life sooner than later. (Who knows, maybe when the new owners see the sales figures for December maybe they'll think it's normal and keep the titles in print. I know, wishful thinking.)

Thanks for all of the recs, starting with the 1st!

Edited by Quincy

As people are thinking big, don't forget alldirect. "Regular" OJCs are $8.65, the limiteds $10.68. Free shipping over $99. I put in an order for 19 discs mentioned in this thread last night. :blink::g:excited: (My 1st multi-emoticon-in-a-row post, but in this case it's warranted.)

Another store that doesn't ship outside the United States... :(

I guess the jig's up. I was hoping to keep alldirect.com a secret so the items I want would stay in stock. :ph34r::):ph34r::):ph34r:

I know, part of me thought don't tell. But were it not for so many recommendations from this board I would be so much poorer. Um, musically that is. :lol:

And I don't think it was that big of a secret. ;)

For what it's worth, 6 weeks ago they didn't have the Rene Thomas in stock, but supposedly they do this time around. (Crosses fingers.)

Promos of OJCs have been common in the past. IN the DC area I would notice an influx of recently issued (or reissued) cds from Fantasy popping up at the usual used/new cd shops. There are a lot of reviewers in this town and so that's how they come around. I don't expect this to change under Concord -- however, I do expect the amount of reissues to diminish. I mean really, would Concord have been the one to put out the Sonny Simmons Contemporary date, or even Gary Bartz's NTU Troop discs? But who knows if there are any stipulations for buying Fantasy, and maintaining their catalog.

For what it's worth, 6 weeks ago they didn't have the Rene Thomas in stock, but supposedly they do this time around. (Crosses fingers.)

I'm thinking of breaking down, eating $2 and ordering an Eric Kloss from DeepdiscountCD. But since this OJC binge is a serious moral lapse on my part, maybe I should hold off. ;)

Guy

Now this thread has caused me to look for OJCs at my favorite used store. I found three, Nat Adderley's Little Big Horn, Here's Jaki (Byard) and Otis Spann The Blues Never Die. Of course, during this search I also find a nice copy of Lester Young's recent 2CD reissue the Complete Savoy Recordings, and then stumble across no less than six Japanese mini-LP CD reissues of EmArcy/Mercury LPs in perfect condition for $5 or $6--Introducing Joe Gordon, Bill Perkins Just Friends (with Art Pepper and Richie Kamuca), Jazz Abroad (which appears to be half a Roy Haynes date and half a Quincy Jones date). and three leaders I've never heard of--Bernard Pfeiffer Bernie's Tunes, Eddie Chamblee Chamblee Music, and the John Wiliams Trio.

Edited by kh1958

On the other hand, if Uni does cut many OJCs, I would expect a ton of OJC cutouts hitting the marketplace...

Good point. I like the idea of rationalizing an OJC buying binge, but maybe waiting a little while will prove cost-effective as well. Either way, this is a useful thread.

Check out this search of over 1,200 OJCs, in alphabetical order by artist — not so much to buy (Tower's bumped up their price line on OJCs), but to check sound samples and see what's out there ... :party:

On the other hand, if Uni does cut many OJCs, I would expect a ton of OJC cutouts hitting the marketplace...

Good point. I like the idea of rationalizing an OJC buying binge, but maybe waiting a little while will prove cost-effective as well. Either way, this is a useful thread.

Check out this search of over 1,200 OJCs, in alphabetical order by artist — not so much to buy (Tower's bumped up their price line on OJCs), but to check sound samples and see what's out there ... :party:

Check out Late's search at your own peril!

I just bought 8 cds. :eye:

Now this thread has caused me to look for OJCs at my favorite used store. I found three, Nat Adderley's Little Big Horn, Here's Jaki (Byard) and Otis Spann The Blues Never Die. Of course, during this search I also find a nice copy of Lester Young's recent 2CD reissue the Complete Savoy Recordings, and then stumble across no less than six Japanese mini-LP CD reissues of EmArcy/Mercury LPs in perfect condition for $5 or $6--

Holy FUCK, man...where did you go? Used CD Heaven?

24592.jpg

For Hawk playing ballads that will melt your heart. Also good with a snifter of your favorite ______ .

Glad to hear the praise for it. Chuck's 2 recommendations from earlier in the thread weren't available so I ordered this, in part because of Tommy Flanagan.

Now this thread has caused me to look for OJCs at my favorite used store. I found three, Nat Adderley's Little Big Horn, Here's Jaki (Byard) and Otis Spann The Blues Never Die. Of course, during this search I also find a nice copy of Lester Young's recent 2CD reissue the Complete Savoy Recordings, and then stumble across no less than six Japanese mini-LP CD reissues of EmArcy/Mercury LPs in perfect condition for $5 or $6--

Holy FUCK, man...where did you go? Used CD Heaven?

Just a nice used CD store in a jazz desert (Greenville and Lovers, Dallas). I wish the mini-LP was the standard CD format.