Before OJCs go away

Chuck Nessa

I found a nice one today in browsing some used haunts...

f76578tjqej.jpg

I quite like this one - actually even much better than the (excellent) trio recording with Frank Butler metnioned earlier, which I found used a couple months back. On this one both Hope and Foster are in really hard-driving, bop mode. Nice one.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple that come to mind is

Junior Cook - Junior's Cooking

Matthew Gee - Jazz by Gee

Lem Winchester - Winchester Special

Bobby Timmons - Soul Time

I guess I better scan the catalogue real soon. I think they offer free shipping and some discounts over a certain amount.

I have to admit, I've never heard of this disc, or of Hal singer, until reading this post. 

Great idea for a thread!  I'll certainly be taking notes.

There is a fun and sort of bizarro cameo by Hal Singer (playing himself) in the late Soviet movie "Taxi Blues." Check it out if you can find it!

Edited by Big Wheel

I had the pleasure of getting to know Webster quite a bit here in D.C. My life was enriched for knowing him.

I was just thinking about him while listening to Long Drink of the Blues. The first take (with the argument) is really an eye-opener. It is Webster you can hear trying to calm Jackie down, who was obviously having a bad day.

I have a soft spot for Long Drink of the Blues. Jackie on tenor sounds to me a little bit like Sonny Rollins with a cold ... but this is one cold I don't mind having. The argument is strangely appealing to listen to as well ...

Goodness — adding another one to this list ...

LPre%20031_thumb.jpg

The Jon Eardley Seven

One of the great sleeper albums in the OJC catalog. (The Japanese must think so too as there's a K-2 edition (out-of-print) of this one out there.)

I might just have to buy it for the cover alone.

A couple I'm particularly looking forward to given their reputation:

c4500681652.jpg

Truth be told, I'm not the biggest guitar fan, but this one is really nice. Raney's quartet album with Sonny Clark, on Vogue, is another to add to that lot when the time comes.

Where would you all start with Jimmy Forrest? I only have him on that Oliver Nelson session.

Here's a question that crossed my mind — What would you consider the most "outside" recording in the OJC catalog? Cecil Taylor's Contemporary session? Perhaps one of the Lasha/Simmons sides? Neither of those seem too far "outside" to me, but then again I don't normally associate the Fantasy umbrella of labels with the "avant garde." Still, I may have missed something in this vein.

Anyone interested should grab the Specialty CDs by the Swan Silvertones, the Soul Stirrers, and the Original Five Blind Boys of Alabama. These groups, along with several others, were to post World War II gospel what Bird, Diz, and Monk were to post World War II jazz.

:tup

That's right. There is probably a better chance that Concord will keep jazz titiles in print than gospel. Fantasy was the only major company that devoted considerable energy to high quality reissues of classic gospel. That is a non-profit activity to be sure.