Before OJCs go away

Chuck Nessa

Hal Singer Blue Stompin' with Charlie Shavers, Ray Bryant, Wendell Marshall and Osie Johnson. This is a fantastic recording I've enjoyed for 30+ years. I pulled it out tonight to play and this thread dawned on me.

My copy arrived yesterday. I've listened to it five times already. I'm about to listen to it again. :tup

Thanks for the recommendation, Chuck!

e75683ls8he.jpg

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hal Singer Blue Stompin' with Charlie Shavers, Ray Bryant, Wendell Marshall and Osie Johnson. This is a fantastic recording I've enjoyed for 30+ years. I pulled it out tonight to play and this thread dawned on me.

My copy arrived yesterday. I've listened to it five times already. I'm about to listen to it again. :tup

Thanks for the recommendation, Chuck!

e75683ls8he.jpg

Guess I'm gonna have to order it online too.

What do you all think of these sessions ~

f57285sehi4.jpgLPre%20051_thumb.jpgf62166d4ziy.jpg

Standard fare blowing sessions, or worthy of repeated listening? Any favorite among the three?

I recall being underwhelemed by the Mclean / Jenkins meeting, but, then again, there isn;t much Jenkins on record, so...

The FOUR ALTOS date, though -- there is some frou-frou on it, courtesy Woods and, to a lesser extent, Quill. But Sahib Shihab's solos are totally hell-bent for leather (sorry, could not help the Judas Priest reference here) and make it worth hearing. FOUR ALTOS is also one of the Prestige dates arranged by Mal Waldron / produced by Teddy Charles (IIRC). Seems like both "staggers" and "Pedal Eyes" on here are Waldron compositions. So it's got that going for it too, IMHO.

All I know about BIRD FEATHERS is that the McKusick material is also appended to the CD reissue of his TRIPLE EXPOSURE.

Edited by Joe

There's also a ton of great soul jazz in this catalog--it's hard to know how much of that will remain in print once Concord settles in. Brother Jack McDuff's 'Live" cd is one of my favorites in that genre. Brother Jack meets the boss (w/Gene Ammons) is pretty fun too.

and then there's all the Pablo stuff

pablo recs

Edited by montg

Any opinions on the two Lee Morgan OJC's?

f77956pacsc.jpg

This is a very very good session, imho. I like it very much, Both Lee and Cliff Jordan are in a terrific shape. I'd grab this one.

f71369f9n0i.jpg

Actually, this was not a Lee Morgan session, but rather a joint venture of several of Dizzy's 1957 big band. Al Grey, Billy Mitchell and Wynton Kelly also play on that CD. It's a joyful event, if not a great one. Get this CD if you enjoy the special combination of Al Grey and Billy Mitchell I know I do.

Edited by White Lightning

Thad Jones!

Some of his finest recordings on the Fantasy Catalog:

The Debut session is probably my favorite among Thad's sessions as a leader. I even prefer them over his the Blue Note albums.

d528269rt03.jpg

Thad's Milestone session "Mean What You Say" session with Co-leader Pepper Adams is also excellent (I disagree with the Pinguin guide on that one)

f36813w60jy.jpg

And finally Thad's Period session "Mad Thad" is quite enjoyable. With sidemen such as Flanagan, Watkins and Elvin Jones or Jo Jones and the two Franks it can't be bad.

d7617065n0a.jpg

Edited by White Lightning

Late,

For Jimmy Forrest, there's Out of the Forrest and if you can't find it, All the Gin is Gone on Delmark, which is notable for being Grant Green's First Recorded Session.

I also remember liking Two Altos although it's been a while since I heard it.

BTW, all the Thad Jones are very good, especially Mad Thad.

I've got a pretty decent collection of OJCs, but I'll definitely be adding a few more. Maybe I'll make two lists -- OJCs I absolutely must have, and OJCs I'd like if they drop the price when they dump the stock. I have been trying to get Land's The Fox at a decent price for a few weeks now, which reminds me that I do have a Borders coupon ...

Anyway, of the Tyners, I am partial to Song of the New World and Song for My Lady. Sure hope these don't go out of print.

No one has mentioned Mal Waldron's Mal 1-4.

I think Blue Mitchell's Out of the Blue is still the most impressive first album I've run across. Just a great line up (Art Blakey, Wynton Kelly, Benny Golson, Paul Chambers and Sam Jones).

George Russell's Ezz-thetics. This one might be safe since it has Eric Dolphy on it.

I guess none of these are on Fantasy proper, but to be on the safe side ...

That's funny you should show this one, as I had Mel sign a copy of this for me one day and he said he wished it hadn't been released!

That IS interesting. I have always really liked this date, although mostly due to Johhny Griffin and Blue Mitchell. That front line also graces Mitchell's Big Six and Griffin's The Little Giant. On Organ-izing, they get a chance to stretch out in a looser setting. It sure sounds good to me. ^_^

Anyone have an opinion - positive or negative - on any of the following? I'm sure that none of these will be around in the future.

OJC 812 - Kenny Dorham Sings and Plays - This Is the Moment!

OJC 1929 - Al Haig: Trio and Sextets

Prestige 24215 - Claude Hopkins: Swing Time

OJC 1756 - Elmer Snowden Quartet featuring Cliff Jackson: Harlem Banjo!

Prestige 24152 - Buddy Tate: Groovin' with Tate

Thanks in advance for any feedback - pro or con.

I don't want to demean Chuck's expertise here, but does anyone have any solid evidence of imminent mass deletions? I'm a bit squeezed for cash at the moment and don't really want to plunk down a few hundred bucks with only an educated guess to go on. Has anyone here talked to anyone at Fantasy about what might happen?

I don't want to demean Chuck's expertise here, but does anyone have any solid evidence of imminent mass deletions? I'm a bit squeezed for cash at the moment and don't really want to plunk down a few hundred bucks with only an educated guess to go on. Has anyone here talked to anyone at Fantasy about what might happen?

Given the fact that the Concord catalog is also available on emusic, I would doubt that the Fantasy catalog will disappear from there any time soon.

Of course, you never know.

Anyone have an opinion - positive or negative - on any of the following? I'm sure that none of these will be around in the future.

OJC 812 - Kenny Dorham Sings and Plays - This Is the Moment!

This is a very weak album.

I think the AMG review is generous: "Dorham had an okay voice, musical if not memorable, but the arrangements for these selections (which utilize his trumpet and Curtis Fuller's trombone, both of which are muted all the time) are inventive and pleasing."