The Great Ray Charles

king ubu

My CD actually has Black Coffee as track number 4!

Mark, do you have the CD that looks like the one in my first post, or do you have this one:

B000002IKN.03.LZZZZZZZ.gif

If you indeed have this one, it's very strange:

B0001XLW2G.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I have the darker of the two (the one on top).

m-

Edited by sheldonm

• 2 weeks later...

Mike, did you check the Rhino disc in that store?

Thanks again for posting the discography for these sessions above! I got (not by pure accident, of course) the Charles-Jackson set, and will now have to get the old Great Ray Charles disc, as well (some store here has it cheap).

ubu

Haven't really listened to it yet, am flooded with new music...

I can do without "Genius After Hours" when I get the old version of the "Great Ray Charles", if I understand your discography correct, right? The Genius disc compilated a few left overs from the first Charles/Jackson date and the three Great dates, also correct? Strange! And indeed, if you didn't own and love the albums just as they came out back in the day, for us CD-buying folks, straight LP reissues in these cases are nonsense!

ubu

I got the old CD edition, and my track four is "Black Coffee." Amazing disc, btw! Well worth picking up!

I'll get the old one too. The new one has very good sound to my ears, if the old one is significantly worse, I'll keep the new one, if not, I'll downgrade... pretty ironic, isn't it?

I can do without "Genius After Hours" when I get the old version of the "Great Ray Charles", if I understand your discography correct, right? The Genius disc compilated a few left overs from the first Charles/Jackson date and the three Great dates, also correct? Strange!

Yep!

And indeed, if you didn't own and love the albums just as they came out back in the day, for us CD-buying folks, straight LP reissues in these cases are nonsense!

That's what I keep saying all the time! Even if I did own the original LPs, I prefer completed sessions and recording order in most cases.

I'll get the old one too. The new one has very good sound to my ears, if the old one is significantly worse, I'll keep the new one, if not, I'll downgrade... pretty ironic, isn't it?

Track two on disc two of my BFT was taken from the "old" CD, so you can get an idea about the sound - I think it's okay. I will keep my "old" CDs and have complete sessions.