What's the longest you've gone...

Guest Chaney

Guest Chaney

Earlier today, I was bragging to Hans over the fact that I was several hours into June without yet having bought / ordered any music. It being the first day of the month AND A SUNDAY -- my favorite day of the week on which to do my online ordering -- I was quite proud of myself. (As Sunday is now almost over, it's very likely that THE FULL DAY WILL PASS without my having fed my habit!)

What's the longest you've gone and for what reasons were you (or are you) not buying?

(Darn! Shoulda' done a poll!)

:huh:

I just went 4-5 weeks without buying any music. It was really difficult at first, but it got easier towards the end. My music collection has expanded a bit too much in the last year - I bought about 25 Mosaics and maybe another 300-500 CD's. Although I generally listen to music 12-15 hours a day, that's still not enough time to get through everything I've purchased. The real reason for cutting back, however, is that my wife and I want to get out of debt so that I can go to grad school. Unfortunately, that's at least 5 years away, maybe more. :(

I went 5 months, three weeks, and six days once (1998; grad school; no intended reference to anything by L. Prima). I was aiming for the cool 6 months, but couldn't make it. I are a stupid moron dumbsh' ...

It was a bet. (Please don't make me tell you for how much.) I lost it. (The bet and my wits.) I've since regained my wits (somewhat), and am now, since you mention June 1st and all, toying with the idea of a 3-month layoff. I ... can ... do ... it.

I hear the Clinton Forry approach helps. You see, it works on a point system. Each album not purchased in a day, accompanied by each album (already owned) listened to yields a certain point ratio. If you stay within your point range (±2), you can maintain a healthy listening regimen, and feel better about yourself and your wallet.

I've joined, quit, and rejoined Obsessive Upgraders Anonymous circles, but they just don't work for me.

Edited by Late

As of now (June 1st), I've purchased less than $100 worth of music since late November of 2002 (so that's 6 months).

Before that, I was probably spending between $100 and $250 per month (every month!) on Music, for the prior 5 years.

There's about three Mosaics I'm dying to get now (Byrd/Adams, Turrentine, and I forget the third one), along with most all of the Mosaic Selects. But I'll hafta wait until I get a job again (I lost my job in January). We're surviving fine on my wife's income, but I'd be in so much shit if I was spending money we couldn't affort to spend on music.

So, all in all, I'd say less than $100 in the past 6 months is quite a turn-around for me.

I buys cds every four or five weeks, but I often have to wait a long time for any of my fav groups to release anything. I'm expecting the new Tomahawk album Mit Gas to show up tomorrow. :rlol JOY. And this month a new record by Type O Negative. I predict snow this summer!

I wasn't buying a lot of music for some time in 1998-2000 (maybe 2 or 3 CDs a month), because I had been bulding a classical music collection the previous years (much less expensive than jazz BTW) and I though I knew all the important jazz albums.

But then I discovered the Blue Note bulletin board and got addicted to hard bop, which was underrepresented in my collection at that time. My wishlist grew so much faster than my purchases. I haven't stopped buying at least 20CDs per month since that time.

I have a financial limit that I impose myself. I travel a lot for my job and get a fixed amount of travel cost reimbursements, which covers more than the actual cost if one finds cheap hotels and dinners. I finance my CD purchases from the money that remains after I paid my costs. This also allowed me to lose 10 kg overweight during the last year ;)