Forthcoming Mosaic sets

J.A.W.

I just got this new releases e-mail from Mosaic:

January 2005

Columbia Small Group Swing Sessions (1953-1962) (8 CDs) # 228 - $136

Selected sessions on the Columbia and Epic labels featuring leaders Ruby Braff (w/ Pee Wee Russell), Buck Clayton, Marlowe Morris, Kenny Burrell, Herb Ellis, Illinois Jacquet, Coleman Hawkins with Clark Terry and Ben Webster with Sweets Edison.

February/March 2005

Mosaic Select: Art Pepper (MS-015) (3 CDs) $39

This set contains all of four sessions that this master alto saxophonist made for Aladdin in 1956 & 57 with Jack Sheldon, Russ Freeman, Jimmy Rowles and Carl Perkins among the sidemen. A Pacific Jazz session by Bill Perkins and Pepper is also included. All the material has been newly transferred from the original analog tapes in 24-bit for greatly improved sound.

Mosaic Select: Andrew Hill (MS-016) (3 CDs) $39

Only six of the 31 selections on this set have been previously released. This Select gathers the remaining five Blue Note sessions by the innovative pianist/composer that were wholly or partially unissued. Settings vary from trio to septet to quartet with string quartet. Sidmen include Robin Kenyatta, Sam Rivers, Carlos Garnet, Bennie Maupin, Woody Shaw and Charles Tolliver.

Miles Davis: The Complete 1963-64 Columbia Recordings (10 LPs) #226 - $180

The complete Seven Steps To Heaven sessions plus great live recordings that document the move from George Coleman to Sam Rivers and finally Wayne Shorter on tenor saxophone.

April 2005

The Complete Clef, Mercury and Verve Studio Recordings of Count Basie and his Orchestra (1952-1957). (8 CDs) #229 - $136

Includes Basie's "New Testament" band that featured Frank Wess, Frank Foster, Benny Powell and Thad Jones with arrangements by Ernie Wilkins and Neal Hefti. Covers the hit albums "April and Paris" and "Count Basie Swings, Joe Williams Sings" as well as the 1956 Metronome All Star album with Ella Fitzgerald.

Edited by J.A.W.

I just received this a few minutes ago as well and the only thing I can say is that I hope I get a good bonus in January because there's nothing on here that I don't want to buy :tup

It looks the Perkins session was previously on the Pepper lp box but it's good to have it in cd.

Edited by Brad

I didn't realize the Columbia set was coming out so soon. Its really feast or famine right now ... I always ask for a Mosaic set at Christmastime and there's always been something I wanted but this year, not so much, so I tried to pick something to expand the horizons a bit (went with the HRS sessions). But next Christmas, man oh man, lots to ask for, and I'll have to choose only one or two! And that's not even considering what may come out in the second half of the year!!

Edited by Dan Gould

February/March 2005

Mosaic Select: Andrew Hill (MS-016) (3 CDs) $39

Only six of the 31 selections on this set have been previously released. This Select gathers the remaining five Blue Note sessions by the innovative pianist/composer that were wholly or partially unissued. Settings vary from trio to septet to quartet with string quartet. Sidmen include Robin Kenyatta, Sam Rivers, Carlos Garnet, Bennie Maupin, Woody Shaw and Charles Tolliver.

Gonna be my first ever Mosaic pre-order. :)

Let the countdown begin!!! :excited:

Except for the Miles vinyl, I want everything on that list.

Q: Should any of it be avoided? Honest appraisals / opinions welcome.

Edited by Chaney

I know I shouldn't wish my life away, but the Hill set can't come soon enough for me.

My thoughts, too. I thought we had to wait until September ... but now February/March? This is easily my most eagerly anticipated set, as I've never heard a single note. So glad that it's a sure thing now!

The Bill Perkins date on the Pepper box is one of my favorites. It was out on disc before in The Artisty of Pepper. Wait a minute — was it The Return of Pepper instead? (That session was on one of those discs.) I wonder if the tracks from the Joe Morello set, with Red Norvo along for the ride and Pepper on tenor (part of the time), will make it onto this one? Doesn't look like it, but those are tasty as well.

I also wonder if the Pepper box will use Ron McMaster's remastering that he did, c. 2001, for the Japanese SBJC versions of these. Those actually sound quite nice (to my ears).

What a great listing! Can't wait for all of them. Mosaic does it again and again and again.

One relatively minor point about the Pepper: awhile back I picked up a Japanese paper sleeve 24 bit remastering of THE ART OF PEPPER Vol. 3, my personal fave of those Aladdins, and was quite disappointed in the sound quality - really not much better and in some ways worse than the old U.S. editions.

I'm hoping that these Select versions are going to truly be "newly remastered" meaning that someone like Malcolm Addey had another go at them.